New at posting - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

New at posting

I’ve owned my 2008 Versys 650 for going on 9 years. A terrific bike and pretty much Trouble free. I did have the opportunity to deal with the rubber turnstalks falling off this past year but that’s about it other than lots of miles ridden & routine oil changes & the usual tire changes. I appreciate the opportunity to be a part of this wealth of knowledge offered by those from the Versys community. Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

aboard!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome from Canada

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html
As what I said in my PM about the headlight, post in this thread , I can move later. Here is a post similar to the How To Forum;
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...eams-dead.html

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

So I noticed no Low or High beam yesterday, replaced 10a headlight fuse but no good. I do have left & right city lights (I think that’s what the correct name is)

So i’m Not having any other issues, running great & charging seems good as well. Should I check the headlight relay next? How’s the best way to access it, I understand it’s in front of battery compartment under the tank.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

All relay's are in the battery compartment.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Simple test

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavamanz View Post
So I noticed no Low or High beam yesterday, replaced 10a headlight fuse but no good. I do have left & right city lights (I think thatís what the correct name is)

So iím Not having any other issues, running great & charging seems good as well. Should I check the headlight relay next? Howís the best way to access it, I understand itís in front of battery compartment under the tank.
Post #3 of that link explains how to test. here is a very simple test, easy to do, not much to take apart. Pay Attention.
Take the 3 pole plug / socket apart coming out of the stator.

This photo is the stator side

Next you need a 16 or 18 gauge insulated wire about 3 feet. Connect this to the battery positive or a second much safer option is to slip the wire under one of the horn connections, the horn is activated by grounding , one terminal is a fused positive, the second terminal goes to the horn button which has a ground connection on the switched terminal.

You need some quiet, pay attention, key on but do not start the bike. The 3 phase socket that goes from the stator to the regulator, has 3 terminals, one of those terminals has a tap off in the harness. What you will do is touch each of those terminals and listen, one of those terminals should provide a click sound.#1 Identify which terminal produces this click. #2 If the headlight comes on please post that, no headlight go to #3==#3 once you identify which terminal, repeatedly touch that terminal, if it clicks each time, you have no 12 VDC at the relay, or your headlight relay contact has failed
From here it gets more difficult, you need top remove the gas tank and pull the center 6 pin socket headlight relay. Check Pin #1 & #3 for 12 VDC with the key on, if you have 12VDC your headlight relay contact has failed. I have come up with a replacement for about $5 using the 40 amp relay & harness, this method makes it a future 5 minute job to change, this method is linked to the Polaris series regulator mod.
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...89-post27.html

Here is the after market relay mod
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ina-relay.html
Here is the test, the
leftbrain99 likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 08:35 PM

Garage
Welcome!

stand up tall, pretend youíre strong, in the hope that you can be
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

headlight bulb

In response to onewizard, I just got back in town and was going to perform the test you had offered me. Before I started, I decided to measure voltage again at the bulbs. Evidently I didn't have the engine running when I did it before cause with engine running the hi beam came on with the passing switch and also with the hi low button. I measure lo beam with engine running and sure enough low beam bulb is bad. Thanks for your assistance and with getting me set up on the site.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:27 PM

Garage
Welcome aboard! I got 09 Kawasaki

"Sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesn't"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode