New member from Canada eh! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

3Likes
  • 2 Post By AL8888
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New member from Canada eh!

Hi all,

I'm a new member to this forum and am currently looking for my next bike after my Kawasaki Concours was totalled last summer. l have admired the versyses versyi? for several years, and really like the new gen. I usually like to ride locally for 2 or 3 hours and prefer scenic backroads over major highways. I never commute, never ride with a pillion and maybe do 2 or 3 multi day rides per season. I loved the C14 and have not ruled one out yet, but for some reason the versys 650 seems to be calling to me. I like a bike that is flickable and don't really need the power or the weight of a big sports tourer. However, I still want one that is capable for the unavoidable short stretches of interstates, and doesn't feel underpowered, buzzy or overpowered by the wind.

I live about an hour from Vancouver BC and ride up into the BC interior and Washington, Oregon, Idaho. I love riding twisty mountain roads, I ride "spirited" but nothing too crazy. Have a few friends with cruisers and sports tourers and they are fairly conservative riders but I still want to be able to keep up.

As much as I loved the power and smoothness of the Concours, I never got it to be comfortable for long multi-day rides and while it lost a lot of its heaviness as soon as you got moving, it never felt light enough for me. I would be willing to trade the comfort of riding at 90 mph for something lighter but still capable of 75 - 80 mph without feeling like it is really wound out. There are some good deals around here for brand new 2018 650LTs, and I will be scouring the forums to learn about these bikes before I pull the trigger sometime between now and the spring.

Glad to get to know you all, and will appreciate any advice you can give me. I am currently considering both the versys 650, 1000 and the Yamaha FJ09/Tracers.

Thanks,
AL8888
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

I rode a Tracer a few months ago and let me tell you, I wasn't impressed. Felt like I was sitting on a cinder block and the engine was revving like it was made out of tin or something. (I totally fell in love with the FJR, though!)

My suggestion - try to test ride all of them! I'm thinking you'll want the Versys 1000 for the power. With that said, the 650's no slouch! But it's all going to come down to what "fits" you the best. I love my Versys 650 as it's fun to ride, has enough pep to get up and go, and handles the curves as well as the straight-aways. (But your opinion may vary!)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Welcome From South Central Ontario

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html
As to the speed, it will easily do 145 KM / HR, but I usually only hit that while passing when the passing is limited for distance.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 12:52 PM

Garage
On my 09 Versys 650 I went to a 16T Front Sprocket. Rode the bike from Texas to California mid-summer. First day did 850 miles and the next day finished the remaining 550 miles. I weighed 285lbs at the time plus gear and the bike was really packed down. Speeds were mostly 80-95 mph for the trip. Bike handled it like a champ. Sold it to get an FJR once my girlfriend started riding with me. She like the V-650 better than the FJR. 2 years later i traded the FJR in on a mew Versys 1000......

IMG_0135 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 12:53 PM

Garage
BTW.....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
aboard!

FWIW - I've put OVER 165,000 miles on three V650s, and that includes several "northern" rides

as well as 8,668 miles over 25 days, crossing Canada, BOTH ways (BOTH pics from the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia).

So, in MY opinion, the V650s are PDG bikes for WHATEVER you have in mind!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 07:42 PM

Welcome!

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 08:42 PM

Garage
from Chase BC. A buddy and I do semi-regular rides to the Fraser Canyon, Logan Lake, Merritt area. Maybe we'll meet up one day. Whereabouts are you? An hour out of Van sounds a little like Hope.

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Vonnegut
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

Wow! Fasteddiecopeman

That's amazing. I doubt I'll ride as many miles as you and probably not multi-week rides until I have more time, it appears you don't shy away from gravel and dirt either. You must really like the v650 to have owned 3. I see you live in Kelowna and winter in AZ. Hard to beat that! I get up that way a couple times a year. I really like Westside road. Thanks for the info.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Hey Glenn21,

Actually I'm a little beyond Hope (at least from your point of view) I'm from Abbotsford, probably a little under an hour to Van but traffic is getting pretty bad these days. Maybe we will meet one day. I go through Chase several times a year on the way to and from our cabin on Shuswap lake. I have ridden most of the awesome back roads in those areas like the 5A from Princeton to Merrit to Kamloops and the road from Merrit to Logan lake past Lac le Jeunne and into Kamloops, also from Spences Bridge to Merrit. I've stopped a few times at that A&W on the highway. Never took my C14 into the Turtle Valley area but maybe a V650 would be okay going from Chase through there and coming out in Tappen.

Thanks for the welcome.
Al
Glenn21 and Canucklehead like this.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hi Al.

The route to my Versys 650 was as follows.

2002 Yamaha FZ1, 2012 Ninja 1000, 2014 Yamaha FZ09, 2012 Connie 14, 2015 KTM 1190 Adventure, 2015 Versys 650.

I really enjoyed all these bikes and they did many things really well, but I have to say the little V is my all time favorite cuz it does everything quite well for me.

Being 66 years old and on a mostly retired fixed income (read that poor...Lol.) it is the perfect bike.

Very low maintenance. Cheap to register and insure. Way easier on tires than all those other fire breathers. And just about as much fun as you can have in the day light with your clothes on.

As others mentioned be sure to take a look at and ride the V-1000. It too is a fantastic bike.
quexpress likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 01:23 PM

Garage
Welcome!

stand up tall, pretend you’re strong, in the hope that you can be
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL8888 View Post
Wow! Fasteddiecopeman

That's amazing. I doubt I'll ride as many miles as you and probably not multi-week rides until I have more time, it appears you don't shy away from gravel and dirt either. You must really like the v650 to have owned 3. I see you live in Kelowna and winter in AZ. Hard to beat that! I get up that way a couple times a year. I really like Westside road. Thanks for the info.
Next time you plan a ride up this way (Kelowna...), PM me in advance, and IF I can, I'll show you some REALLY GREAT roads, BETTER'N the Westside Rd (which has been voted as the MOST dangerous road in BC), and I will ONLY ride it N to S...!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome from Vancouver. I echo all that is said about the V 650, its a versatile mid-weight with a good level of get up and go. Very nimble on mountain twisties or decent on gravel depending on your style and tires. Very well suited to this part of the world.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

aboard. Test ride and make your call. Hope to see you in forum.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the welcomes and comments. This seems like a great forum. I will be making a decision soon. The cold weather will be gone before long and I'm itching to get my knees in the breeze again soon.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 01:38 AM

Welcome AL8888 you'll probably see me on the Merritt to Spences Bridge road as that is my back door and I love that ride.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:03 AM
17A

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL8888 View Post
Hi all,

I'm a new member to this forum and am currently looking for my next bike after my Kawasaki Concours was totalled last summer. l have admired the versyses versyi? for several years, and really like the new gen. I usually like to ride locally for 2 or 3 hours and prefer scenic backroads over major highways. I never commute, never ride with a pillion and maybe do 2 or 3 multi day rides per season. I loved the C14 and have not ruled one out yet, but for some reason the versys 650 seems to be calling to me. I like a bike that is flickable and don't really need the power or the weight of a big sports tourer. However, I still want one that is capable for the unavoidable short stretches of interstates, and doesn't feel underpowered, buzzy or overpowered by the wind.

I live about an hour from Vancouver BC and ride up into the BC interior and Washington, Oregon, Idaho. I love riding twisty mountain roads, I ride "spirited" but nothing too crazy. Have a few friends with cruisers and sports tourers and they are fairly conservative riders but I still want to be able to keep up.

As much as I loved the power and smoothness of the Concours, I never got it to be comfortable for long multi-day rides and while it lost a lot of its heaviness as soon as you got moving, it never felt light enough for me. I would be willing to trade the comfort of riding at 90 mph for something lighter but still capable of 75 - 80 mph without feeling like it is really wound out. There are some good deals around here for brand new 2018 650LTs, and I will be scouring the forums to learn about these bikes before I pull the trigger sometime between now and the spring.

Glad to get to know you all, and will appreciate any advice you can give me. I am currently considering both the versys 650, 1000 and the Yamaha FJ09/Tracers.

Thanks,
AL8888
I traded my FJ-09 in on a 2018 Versys 650 SE Last summer and it is a great bike. Took it on a 5000 km trip out to the east coast and it was perfect. It really is the perfect bike for anything.

2018 Versys 650 SE
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 08:55 AM

Garage
Welcome. Good luck with the bike hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode