Introducing Brian in SF - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

4Likes
  • 2 Post By leftbrain99
  • 2 Post By leftbrain99

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Introducing Brian in SF

I'm Brian and I'm happy to be here. I just picked up a 2011 650 and I'm quite pleased so far.

I bought it on Sunday from a sole owner who had immaculate records and a tasteful set of upgrades. Broken in by the book, never dropped, synth Redline every 3k miles (since 2k). It has 37k on it but I trust that more on a bike so well-kept than much less mileage with unknown service history. Considering that I blew a head gasket on my current ride on the middle of the Bay Bridge on my way to see this bike, that all turned out to be the deciding factor.

Yacugar shock and fork modification (now fully adjustable)
Givi V35 Side Cases
Sargent Seat
MRA Smoke Windscreen
Steel Braided Brake Lines
Pazzo Shorty Levers
Heated Hand Grips
Radiator Protector
Dunlop Q3 Tires

Things I want to do:
SW-Motech rear case mount on order
SW-Motech crash bars on order (bc someone in SF is going to knock this over one day)
Motowerk peg lowering blocks on order
12V power socket on order
Motowerk antivibration handlebar riser (maybe more for the vibration than the rise)
Evap delete
Change headlight surround to black
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190126_124654.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	160777   Click image for larger version

Name:	00W0W_6LGgoxSY56J_1200x900.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	160779   Click image for larger version

Name:	00D0D_2GACe4EntC9_1200x900.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	160781   Click image for larger version

Name:	00v0v_gyxEsPsTC3z_1200x900.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	160783  
kiwicraig and mark.a.thompson like this.

Last edited by leftbrain99; 02-01-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
How I got here

A little history, I moved to SF some years ago and got really sick of parking issues and street cleaning tickets so I dumped the car and took the MSF course before getting my M1 license. I quickly found a 250 scooter (Piaggio BV 250) to use until I felt ready to deal with a bigger bike. That BV 250 turned out to be a really awesome machine that was perfect for city commuting and I could load it down with 5 days worth of backpacking gear and cruise up and down the coast with ease. I started to worry that I wouldn't be able to find a motorcycle that was so versatile. I honestly still believe I may not find one.

That said, I started bending to pressure from my gf, who rides a 2013 Bonneville, to get a more "impressive" ride. I was wary of going to a cruiser like she wants to see me on because I like to be able to conveniently strap down a lot of gear for excursions and I also like to lock up my belongings while I am out and about -- cruisers aren't made for cases and cases aren't made for cruisers. Still, I rode some Thruxtons and Harleys and really wanted to allow myself to be cool looking cool, but felt like I was betraying myself. I just wanted a practical ride and something I'm not overly worried about parking on the street in SF.

My friend was selling an SV650 and thought that would be a great first real bike, but the more I looked into it, the more I realized that the cargo capability was really lacking. So I moved to the Strom 650 and thought I had found the holy grail. It rides well for a guy like me - 6'3" 195 lbs, and looks great with cases. Determined, I checked every one I could find and talked to shop employees all along the way. What I kept hearing about the wee strom was that it's a great bike, but not necessarily the best for primarily a city bike. So many guys were just like me (city commuters who want to go on adventures) and they all had the Versys. So I finally checked one out and it won me over very quickly. It's slimmer and less bulky than the Strom but still holds my frame very well and is very fun to ride.

I didn't want to invest too much in a bike that is sleeping on the curb, so I was looking at 2008-2014 models. Found one on fire sale from a guy who was moving out of town that night and needed to dump it - Green 2013 with 11k miles for $3200 a half mile from my house - but I missed it by a half hour. Found some older ones and thought that would work fine, but I dragged my feet a bit. Finally the 2011 I now have showed up on CL - the owner had immaculate records and he and I hit it off pretty quickly. On my way to go look at it, my BV 250 blew a head gasket, stranding me in the middle of the Bay Bridge, and I took that as a sign that this was the bike I needed to buy.

And I got a Pit Bull in the process. Who needs a center stand when you can just do this? (Makes a decent backrest when parked, too).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190127_174215.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	160789  
onewizard and Buffalo_Bob like this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Nice intro write up and some of us have the same script..._minus the GF
Enjoy your ride and be safe.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrain99 View Post
...Change headlight surround to black....
Brian - when you 'do' the surround - I suggest you do the two pairings (per side) that are 'silver'. Should look KILLER if you do...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome!

stand up tall, pretend you’re strong, in the hope that you can be
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 10:23 PM

Welcome. Enjoy your new to you bike.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:18 AM

Welcome to the forum and I hope you get a lot of fun use out of that Versys. Someone on here has one of that generation with over 82k on it.

[https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...&share_type=t]

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrain99 View Post
And I got a Pit Bull in the process. Who needs a center stand when you can just do this? (Makes a decent backrest when parked, too).
Welcome! It's never about the end goal, it's the journey to get there.
I hope you don't ride around like that other than the ride home with it. That's a good way to impale yourself
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
I hope you don't ride around like that other than the ride home with it. That's a good way to impale yourself
Yeesh! I'm trying to figure out the bad ways to do that if this is a good way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode