New Member from Northern Michigan - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Member from Northern Michigan

Hello,
This is my third try to post. Every forum seems to have slightly different requirements. That said, I joined this forum to gather all the info I could get to help me make a decision to either continue riding my 2004 Goldwing or save 300 pounds and trade some comfort and storage. I live in Northern Mi, usually take a trip once a year of 2500 -3000 miles and frequently down South. I am 81 years old. slightly under 5'10" and weigh 164. The Wing is just too damned heavy and really easy to drop. While standing still and not paying attention) I have looked at the Yamaha FJR1300ES and was ready to pull the string and pay for the needed extras but several of the guys on their forum indicated that it was a top heavy bike. If so, saving 150 pounds but having a top heavy bike did not seem wise. that brings me to the Versys. It is 300 pounds lighter but that is about all that I know other than the brochure. Looking forward to any advice that I can get. Thank you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I sold my Versys 650 for an FJR. I didn't find the FJR top heavy at all. I split lanes all day long with it out here in SoCal. I traded it in on a 2016 Versys 1000 because i had 2 bad knees and a messed up hip. So at 6'2" i could never get comfortable with the FJR as it has a sporty seating position. Loved the engine, shaft drive and coverage from the elements. Really happy with the V-1000 its a taller bike that gives me more comfort.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 05:03 PM

Garage
Welcome, you’ll find a lot of great info here.

stand up tall, pretend you’re strong, in the hope that you can be

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you are 5'10 and 81 years old and riding a Gold Wing, my hat's off to you!

I'm 55, 5'11 and had a Versys 650 for just 3 months. I still find it a bit top-heavy. Not impossible, but I'm definitely slow and deliberate when doing low-speed manuvering or just pushing the bike around. Note that I've never ridden anything taller or heavier than than the 650. I was originally shopping for a 300 when I bought it...

I'd be happy if I am still riding my Burgman 200 scooter at 81! And estatic if I could ride a Versys 300.

YMMV,

-dm

-dm
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Take a seat on the V 650 & V300 and which ever suit your requirement, get it. Both are user friendly bike. At 81 and still riding , hats off to you sir.
onewizard likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html
And yes to the last post, the X300 has within 1 HP of the old KLR, many guys that had a Versys 650 have switched to the lighter Versys X300. One suggestion would be to put in a lowering link by Speedy, then the highway bars and footpeg extenders, yes I am 69 & 5'7" @ 190 LBs, have done all that, the bike is top heavy, very easy to run out of leg length on uneven ground.If your bike goes down, I very much doubt you have the muscle mass to get it back up.
I am waiting until spring to try out a X300, a consideration of buying one in Australia / Tasmania this year.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the input so far. I'm not sure if I should now post on the regular forum. I was told I needed to have two posts on the introductory forum to qualify. I am not entertaining anything less than the 1000. I know enough that four cylinders is smoother than two and as it is, I'm going down from six. I recognize that I probably will not travel as many miles per day on a Versys but I might go back and try the Dragon again. There are a few other roads that I still haven't ridden down South. As a point of information, I have ridden a few roads that are not famous or named but are great rides. One of my bigger concerns is the loss of a ride off center stand (which also permits placing it on the stand while straddling the bike) and no shaft drive. Also, if it's dropped I haven't seen crash bars that protect the bike that are available. I have tons of questions but want to be sure I am in the proper forum to ask them. Thanks again.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:50 AM

Garage
Bill, I am also an octogenarian. I went from a Wing to the V1. I am 6' and 185lbs. My biggest challenge was the seat height. My inseam is 32". I find the bike comfortable and agile. Very capable of Dragon type roads. There are ways to get that seat height down, and you can find them all on this forum. I hope this helps.

Welcome aboard

Civit
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Bill View Post
...that brings me to the Versys. It is 300 pounds lighter but that is about all that I know other than the brochure. Looking forward to any advice that I can get. Thank you,
Quote:
...I know enough that four cylinders is smoother than two and as it is, I'm going down from six....
Bill - I came to the Versys 650 ['08] from a Suzuki Bandit 1200S, and in the 11 years since I got my FIRST one which I still have, at 82,4xx miles, (since '11 I HAD an '09, and HAVE a '15 TOO!) I've ridden them OVER 155,000 miles.

BEST handling bike I've ever ridden, and certainly smooth ENOUGH. Rode across Canada and back summer of '17 (8,668 miles in 25 days, camping, on the '15 650LT), been up to Inuvik, Alaska, Dawson City, YT SEVERAL times, and I'm ONLY a few years younger than YOU are.

IF you're really concerned about a top-heavy bike, consider the V300, and PLAN to get the seat modded for comfort - it is like sitting on a 2x4, but the bike is GREAT! It has 39HP, which is ONE HP less than the Triumph Bonneville had back in '62, and weighs the SAME.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

I want to thank all of you for your input and encouragement. I am now going to a different area of the forum to learn about making the bike more comfortable and protected from drops. (The bike)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 05:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
I want to thank all of you for your input and encouragement. I am now going to a different area of the forum to learn about making the bike more comfortable and protected from drops. (The bike)
I've added all kind of goodies to my V-1000 here are all my post you can scroll through and find a bunch of subjects such as seats,highway pegs, heated grips, etc, etc, on there...https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...13096705&pp=25
Fastoman likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode