Hi! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
PCX

Hi!

Hi, I just joined this forum. I live in northern California Bay area and have been riding 2015 versys 650 for last 1.5 years. I initially bought motorcycle to beat the horrible traffic during my everyday long commute, but I have come to love just the riding part. I ride about 75-80 miles a day and I really love my commute now

I have about 22K miles on my versys and have been doing most of the basic maintenance myself: oil change, air filter, tire change, fixing flat-tires, basic mods etc. But i have put off Valve clearance so far as I don't have that confidence yet. I am planning on doing some reading on this forum, and if I muster knowledge and courage I will give it a shot in coming weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

Glad you are enjoying your ride and be safe.

We have here, in the forum members who can help you out with almost anything, so just in case you want to do something just drop a line and you will see the response.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 01:53 AM

Garage
Welcome from AK. Get those valves checked. It's not that complicated. Just go slow, don't rush any step, and take your time and you can do it. IF you don't have to change any shims it's not bad at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 07:58 AM

Garage
Welcome from AZ! I am still a newbie myself to the Versys 650. But I really enjoy reading others who have put many trouble free miles on the motor. I agree, taking on valve adjustments does seem like a daunting task. Once you have full access to content. Shake a few hands and say hello. Perhaps there is a very knowledgeable Versys owner near you. That can meet up with you and walk through the process. On other forums, some folks would host tech days. Where a handful of riders would gather and perform maintenance together. Some great friendships were also formed from these gatherings.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 08:15 AM

Don't fear the valves! Here's a video that will give you a good idea. Get the service manual (either hard copy or download) and you should be good to go.

Here's another video to give you a better idea what the valves and shims look like:

Last edited by Devilsfan; 01-21-2019 at 08:22 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Valve Clearance Important

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCX View Post
Hi, I just joined this forum. I live in northern California Bay area and have been riding 2015 versys 650 for last 1.5 years. I initially bought motorcycle to beat the horrible traffic during my everyday long commute, but I have come to love just the riding part. I ride about 75-80 miles a day and I really love my commute now

I have about 22K miles on my versys and have been doing most of the basic maintenance myself: oil change, air filter, tire change, fixing flat-tires, basic mods etc. But i have put off Valve clearance so far as I don't have that confidence yet. I am planning on doing some reading on this forum, and if I muster knowledge and courage I will give it a shot in coming weeks.
Let me say that I did my 2015 early, at 11,000 KM, and found tight valves.There is a complete step by step on this forum, you could use the PDF version and print out the pages. FYI there are mistakes in the service manual, this has been covered in my post. Also removing the throttle bodies makes it much easier and takes less than 3 minutes.Most wiring plugs are colour coded or configured to fit in only one location, the exception is the stick coils, use green painteres tape or masking tape and label left and right. Have a notepad and camera, take photos and make notes. Everything has been covered in my post, including gas tank removal.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...onewizard.html

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...rship-diy.html

Last edited by onewizard; 01-21-2019 at 09:46 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

aboard!

Quote:
...and if I muster knowledge and courage I will give it a shot in coming weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
...Get those valves checked. It's not that complicated. Just go slow, don't rush any step, and take your time and you can do it. IF you don't have to change any shims it's not bad at all.
WHAT Jeff said to you, PLUS: this is in the posts on this Forum, but it's VERY important that you have a 1/4" torque-wrench, as well as a 3/8" one - some of the internal fasteners require 106 inch/pounds, which is ONLY about 9 foot/pounds, and people HAVE broken them by exceeding the posted torque, mis-reading it as FOOT/POUNDS.

ALSO - quite a few of us just sand down the shims rather than buying new ones - your valves WILL tighten over time, so you ALWAYS need smaller, rather than larger.... Take your time, and be precise.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
PCX

Thanks for the tips! I am looking forward to the content. I do have the service manual and will get that torque wrench and the feeler gauges. Also, I am still on the original set of spark plugs, and need to change those as well. I suppose they are along the way to valves and could be part of the same job?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:07 PM

Garage
Welcome!

stand up tall, pretend you’re strong, in the hope that you can be
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the tips! I am looking forward to the content. I do have the service manual and will get that torque wrench and the feeler gauges. Also, I am still on the original set of spark plugs, and need to change those as well. I suppose they are along the way to valves and could be part of the same job?
Yes - you will remove them as part of the job. I ALWAYS blow air down around the plugs BEFORE I remove anything, just to ensure that there's NOTHING to fall into the cylinder when the plugs come out.

BTW - your plugs will look brand-new, but I suggest you just go ahead and change them.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode