Greetings from Sacramento - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Heywood
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By Heywood

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Greetings from Sacramento

Hi, I've recently started riding again after a 30 year hiatus. 1st bike was a mid to late 70's Yamaha 650 special and now I have a 2015 Versys LT with all the farkles. I found it on Craigslist and finally had my appt at the DMV yesterday (if your from CA you'll understand finally), paid the sunshine tax and was on my way. I'm still learning quite a bit but it's coming back. I've already signed up for the ACSO course in the spring so I'm looking forward to that and I'll try and sneak in a IRC locally but it seems it's not offered frequently or I'm just not looking in the right place.

In July my 18yo got his first bike, I found an '86 250 Ninja for cheap that was in excellent cosmetic shape but needed a carb rebuild and complete maintenance and all fluids flushed, rear brake fluid was milky. That got me jonesin' again for a bike of my own and he's looking to step up to an ER-6n, FZ6 or maybe a SFV650 at some point although he does need a car as well it's hard not to get another bike with the price of cars.

So here's my 1st question, the tires are Dunlop Roadsmart II's, are these the factory tires? The previous owner used it mainly for touring and the center of the rear tire is worn flat, you can even feel the edge on the tire. The miles I'll put on it will be mostly 65 mi/rt commute.
When is it time to replace?

List of accy's: ylw fog lights, CalSci touring windscreen, hiway pegs, key/color matching Givi V47 top box w/Admore Lighting(not shown), Korus heated grips, LAAM seat, center stand, Hella horns (freakin' loud), rear hugger, front extenda fender, rad grill, usb port, volt meter, heated gear outlet. Geez now that I actually made a list there's a lot of stuff...
Well anyways, here's a pic.
kiwicraig likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html

Last edited by onewizard; 12-02-2018 at 06:35 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
Hi, I've recently started riding again after a 30 year hiatus. 1st bike was a mid to late 70's Yamaha 650 special and now I have a 2015 Versys LT with all the farkles. I found it on Craigslist and finally had my appt at the DMV yesterday (if your from CA you'll understand finally), paid the sunshine tax and was on my way. I'm still learning quite a bit but it's coming back. I've already signed up for the ACSO course in the spring so I'm looking forward to that and I'll try and sneak in a IRC locally but it seems it's not offered frequently or I'm just not looking in the right place.

In July my 18yo got his first bike, I found an '86 250 Ninja for cheap that was in excellent cosmetic shape but needed a carb rebuild and complete maintenance and all fluids flushed, rear brake fluid was milky. That got me jonesin' again for a bike of my own and he's looking to step up to an ER-6n, FZ6 or maybe a SFV650 at some point although he does need a car as well it's hard not to get another bike with the price of cars.

So here's my 1st question, the tires are Dunlop Roadsmart II's, are these the factory tires? The previous owner used it mainly for touring and the center of the rear tire is worn flat, you can even feel the edge on the tire. The miles I'll put on it will be mostly 65 mi/rt commute.
When is it time to replace?

List of accy's: ylw fog lights, CalSci touring windscreen, hiway pegs, key/color matching Givi V47 top box w/Admore Lighting(not shown), Korus heated grips, LAAM seat, center stand, Hella horns (freakin' loud), rear hugger, front extenda fender, rad grill, usb port, volt meter, heated gear outlet. Geez now that I actually made a list there's a lot of stuff...
Well anyways, here's a pic.
If the rear is worn flat and a road smart , which is stock, be aware you should replace immediately, the distance from no tread to the tire belts is like 1/32 of a inch, scared me as I was on a ride when it happened, the guy putting on the PR3 told me I must have horseshoes in my pocket, while the tires grip well, they wear poorly, less than 10,000 KM on the rear when replaced, the front is at 22000 KM and is being replaced in the next month, still tread left but I am going to PR5's.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Nice bike you snagged there LAAM Seats are not cheap....I'm a fan of the Michelin Road 5 Tires. They work great on the roads here in SoCal.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Tire Thread / Member Feedback is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Nice bike you snagged there LAAM Seats are not cheap....I'm a fan of the Michelin Road 5 Tires. They work great on the roads here in SoCal.
I put a deposit on some PR5 on Friday, $$$$$$$, this area no one wants to mount and balance tires if they aren't purchased from them, not screwing with dynabeeds , I have used these guys 3 times now, on my 07 versys and on my 2015 with the rear tire. Lots of tread left, but it is starting to cup and the front Dunlop needs to go. So winter is setting in, time to get ready for 2019.
And thanks Joe, I was going to look at the tire thread, decided the PR5 was the way to go, they also have a Michelin RS tire that was to be more off road. I like the PR 5 so that is going on. Just need to get my 90' valve stems, the guys selling and mounting the tires have the Honda ones, which I am not fond of.

Also in reference to Dunlop Road Smart tires, here is a link with the rear at 10,000 KM almost identical to my tire when changed, except I could see the tire cords.
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...90-post45.html
weljo2001 likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 12-01-2018 at 06:34 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I put a deposit on some PR5 on Friday, $$$$$$$, this area no one wants to mount and balance tires if they aren't purchased from them, not screwing with dynabeeds , I have used these guys 3 times now, on my 07 versys and on my 2015 with the rear tire. Lots of tread left, but it is starting to cup and the front Dunlop needs to go. So winter is setting in, time to get ready for 2019.
And thanks Joe, I was going to look at the tire thread, decided the PR5 was the way to go, they also have a Michelin RS tire that was to be more off road. I like the PR 5 so that is going on. Just need to get my 90' valve stems, the guys selling and mounting the tires have the Honda ones, which I am not fond of.

These are working great for me..https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pcs-Black...item1ec59706cd

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome and advice on the tire. I'll step up the purchase, I had already starting looking at tires and was looking at the Dunlop RS III, no good?
They say they've made improvements over the II, marketing hype? Anyone care to opine on Angel GT's or the Continental Attack 3, what about Bridgestone Battlax T31 ? The Angel GT's seem to get good press. Just looking for other quality quality options for the 1st set. I'm sure once I get some miles under my rear I'll spend the cash on PR5's or 6's or what ever is the hot ticket at that time.

It is a nice seat but I'll have to have it reworked, the previous owner was 6' 3" and with that seat I can just get my toes on the ground. I've made arrangements and Seth will take good care of me I'm sure. Shipping it out this week so for now I'm running a stocker that I picked up.
onewizard likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
Thanks for the welcome and advice on the tire. I'll step up the purchase, I had already starting looking at tires and was looking at the Dunlop RS III, no good?
They say they've made improvements over the II, marketing hype? Anyone care to opine on Angel GT's or the Continental Attack 3, what about Bridgestone Battlax T31 ? The Angel GT's seem to get good press. Just looking for other quality quality options for the 1st set. I'm sure once I get some miles under my rear I'll spend the cash on PR5's or 6's or what ever is the hot ticket at that time.

It is a nice seat but I'll have to have it reworked, the previous owner was 6' 3" and with that seat I can just get my toes on the ground. I've made arrangements and Seth will take good care of me I'm sure. Shipping it out this week so for now I'm running a stocker that I picked up.
Several in the How To Forum, all under T for tires ,notice the editing in my last post, here is one https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...nt-thread.html

Also you got a awesome deal on the bike, nothing like buying one all Farkled out
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

One more ask, referral for best prices on tires? I've been using rockymountainatvmc.com as a good source so far, any others? Board vendors?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

as for tire replacement, here is a trick to know how good is your tire. Release all pressure and use any one finger to press the center part of the tire and your will know how hard/soft it is. There may be thread or flat but once you release the pressure, you will know the remaining strength of the tire body.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Great find, Heywood! You have pretty much all the bases covered with accessories. The Versys is a great motorcycle and I know you'll love it.

As for tires, definitely get new. My personal opinion on Bridgestone's...I hate them! Had them on 2 of my brand new bikes and they lasted less than 7K for me. And I'm an average rider! Listen to the others on here as they know what they're talking about.

Welcome back to the riding world. It's ALWAYS in the blood!!!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sac-a-tamaters. I'm down in good O'l Fresburg also with a green 2015. Most fun street bike I have owned.

I would love to see some pics of your Laam seat on the bike. I'm still on the stock Versys seat with some mods. I had Seth make seats for 3 different bikes for me. Every time he hit it out of the park in both looks and comfort. You are a lucky man, no actually your butt is quite lucky...Lol.

Welcome aboard.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 11:19 AM

Welcome from Roseville! Great deal on your bike. Call Roseville Motorsports for tires. They have been having several Christmas sales and they are typically competitive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in