KLR to KLE - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
KLR to KLE

I'm seriously considering a Versys 650 to replace my KLR, used for 10 years of commuting. I'm wondering how they compare as workhorses - I typically load on heavy tool kits, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Doing this is Vancouver - so also interested in performance in heavy, heavy rain on the N shore.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
KLR to KLE

I commute ~100 km with a Pelican 1550 as a top box, plus a large tank bag. It is not uncommon for me to have a large insulated hard sided bag with a big slow cooker inside it strapped on top of the Pelican. Or to add 20L/ea saddle bags and the insulated bag to go grocery shopping for a weeks worth of food for 3. Or to put 48 500mL cans of beer into that insulated bag. Or to have the saddle bags and ~100L of other bags strapped on for a "well supplied" weekend camping trip. When I needed new tires for the boat trailer, the two 15" wheels were strapped on top of the Pelican for a ride into town and back...

I ride with KLR's on trails and access roads, and have to pay attention to not to leave them behind on the highways.

I have a tall aftermarket windshield and ride in all weather that I consider safe. That includes heavy rain and occasional snow. No excuses required.

Hope that answers your questions.
Dave

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.

Last edited by 16VGTIDave; 11-24-2018 at 12:57 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
MANY of us came to the V from the KLR. Here's a pic of my V650 on a cross-Canada ride the summer of '17.

I camped every day but one (25 day ride), and rode in some VERY heavy rain. No problemo!

Here's camp, day ONE, w/ my gear hanging to dry.

The V handles heavy rain PDG, as long as YOU do!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 02:25 PM

Garage
the Versys is the better commuter by a lot. the KLR wins in the dirt. ya, there is cross over and arguments can be made but thats the nut of it. I finally sold my KLR & replaced it with a KLX as a better fit for places I don't want to take the Versys. and BTW, I bought the V to downsize from the GS

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Welcome From South Central Ontario

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html
As to your question, I have ridden 2 up, consider the weight of a passenger, plus I have the Givi top case, and side cases, normal load is 35 pounds,, plus the cases, I ride with all my heated gear along, stop and go kit, chain lube, extra tools, prop stand, a second version of tire plugging kit, extra clothing, extra different temperature gloves, 3 bottles of water plus my refillable water bottles ( hard to believe but true, you can't believe how many times I have been out riding and someone in the group needs to stop in a town for WATER) My point is, it will do 130KM/HR all day, no problem.

Last edited by onewizard; 11-25-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in