Newbie Giving Thanks to All - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Newbie Giving Thanks to All

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Moving from an FJR to the Versys 650LT.
Actually picking it up tomorrow in Las Vegas.
So I am pretty excited. With exception to the drive up.
But the ride back should be interesting.

That's all for now.

Cheers!

Craigar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I obviously need 2 posts to proceed. So here we go with a little more info.
Originally, I wanted the 1000 for the added power for 2up riding. But since my wife rarely rides with me. I thought I'd give this one a try. The original owner had done many of the upgrades I would have planned on doing. Handguards, heated grips, new seat (comes with 3), windshield, and aftermarket exhaust. He also threw in 2 different size Givi trunks. Only 3k miles. So there was a significant cost savings going with this machine. Pretty much a no brainer.

The FJR was and is a fantastic motorcycle. But I wanted something lighter and more upright. Haven't dealt with a chain the past 20 years. A little added maintenance doesn't bother me though. A center stand and engine protection will be on the list of mods. So I will be searching here for some great info and options that members have gone with.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Welcome aboard!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 03:36 PM

Garage
nice! they are a great bike

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage

I went from a V-650 to an FJR then to a V-1000. All 3 great bikes the FJR sportier seating position just wasn't for a fat guy with bad knees and hip....

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1020355 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
and have a safe ride back.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 07:45 PM

Welcome. I went from a 2013 FJR to the Versys 1000, and then later also got a Versys 650 to match (both 2016 models). You will definitely enjoy the lightness and "flickability" of the V650, but you are sure to miss the turbine like power of the Feejer, and of course, all the other little perks, like elec windshield, heated grips, cruise control, maintenance free shaft drive, etc.
Good luck!

Jay™
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Welcome aboard!
Thank you. Happy to be here.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
and have a safe ride back.
Thank you. I'm hoping the masses do not head for home until the weekend.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCruizer View Post
Welcome. I went from a 2013 FJR to the Versys 1000, and then later also got a Versys 650 to match (both 2016 models). You will definitely enjoy the lightness and "flickability" of the V650, but you are sure to miss the turbine like power of the Feejer, and of course, all the other little perks, like elec windshield, heated grips, cruise control, maintenance free shaft drive, etc.
Good luck!
Yes, I am trying to prepare myself for the change in power.
The other stuff I can deal with. Sometimes less is more.
Yes, that's it. I will continue telling myself that coming back from LV.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 07:59 PM

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
[QUOTE=weljo2001;1597795]

I went from a V-650 to an FJR then to a V-1000. All 3 great bikes the FJR sportier seating position just wasn't for a fat guy with bad knees and hip....

Nice rides! We all have our limits brother. I think 3 bikes is the way to go.
Only if I can convince my wife to get rid of the golf cart.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 08:22 PM

Garage
[quote=Craigar;1597827]
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post

Nice rides! We all have our limits brother. I think 3 bikes is the way to go.
Only if I can convince my wife to get rid of the golf cart.

The little woman doesn't understand the concept of having more than one bike at a time. Just happened to buy the FJR before i sold the V-650...Then traded the FJR in on the V-1000 2 years later...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCruizer View Post
Good luck!
I returned back to Phoenix in one piece. Overall, I am impressed with this machine. The power is decent for its size. Which has plenty of usable power at highway speeds and tracks very well on crappy road surfaces. I nearly hit triple digits during one stretch. Until i noticed and backed off the throttle a bit. It handles surprisingly well, and I was very comfortable for most the entire way home. One thing stood out almost immediately. Which was the need for pull back risers. I could live with set up the way it is. But why not make great bike even better.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigar View Post
Yes, I am trying to prepare myself for the change in power.
The other stuff I can deal with. Sometimes less is more.
Yes, that's it. I will continue telling myself that coming back from LV.
Coming from liter bikes and bigger I too was concerned about the power of the 650. Truth be told I am faster in the twisties on my V-650 than any of those bigger bikes. My little V is the best handling street bike that I have owned. Big smile fun factor.

Yea I sometimes miss the arm stretching power of those other bikes but I don't miss burning off the rear skin in 1200 miles. Or having to fill up with gas more often.

Those road burner bikes were too easy to get well north of 100 mph. I'm 65 and really don't need to go that fast any more. I now find myself operating between 40 and 80 mph most of the time. That zone is safer, more economical, bigger smiles, and much less likely to attract the Poe and his ray gun.

Have fun with the new bike.

You should look up fasteddiecopeman on this forum. He has 2 V-650's and spends winters out in Florence.

Cheers.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigar View Post
...Which was the need for pull back risers. I could live with set up the way it is. But why not make great bike even better.
I run 2" ROX RISERS on each of my Vs, because w/ ROX you can choose to have pull-back, push-forward, or just the 2" rise for standing on the 'pegs. (No problem w/ the OEM cables.)

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
You're a wise man Hawkerjet! I subscribe to your way of thinking.

Fasteddiecopeman, I appreciate the suggestion. That setup is exactly what I am looking for.

Craigar
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Bar risers are a must for me. When I first got my V the first mod I did was put on the generic silver 1" risers. After a year riding I decided I needed more and went to my local shop looking for what they had, though I pretty well had decided the Rox were the best option.Then I found a couple of what looked like old, black riser "extenders" in their odds and ends pile,stamped SW Moteck. Bought some longer stainless bolts and ended up at 2",up and back. I also did the lowering kit,front end dropped 1 1/4" on the forks so lots of cable play.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bar risers.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	159731  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode