Commuting on the Versys! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By Nonsequitur
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 2 Post By Skypilot 69
  • 2 Post By Nonsequitur
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By Devilsfan
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 1 Post By Skypilot 69
  • 1 Post By vaulter
  • 1 Post By cjcintucson
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Glenn21
  • 1 Post By Nonsequitur
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Commuting on the Versys!

Greets all, long time rider, who for years commuted from Stockton, CA to San Francisco, CA every day on a 2009 Suzuki V-Strom 650 for a total of 184 miles a day. Decided, at one point in early 2014 to get back into a car for a while and traded in the motos (2009 DL650 Wee-strom and a 2007 YZF-R1); but commuting by car is a little tedious, and admittedly it can get expensive driving a 2014 Mustang GT 184 miles a day. So after a life changing event with my wife (medical emergency), I decided to get her a new car that was easier for her to drive, traded my Mustang; and the deal was to get a motorcycle for me to commute on again.

Enter the new-to-me (used) 2015 Versys 650 LT (Candy Lime Green), that I have been commuting on for the last week. So far my only minor complaint is the forward pitch of the seat, being a pretty big guy and over a long commute it can get a little uncomfortable; but in every other way I am very impressed with my new-to-me moto. This led to my compulsion to find the Versys community online so that I can start reading and researching all of the cool things I can do, and add to, the already great machine I will spending a large portion of my life on in the next few years.

After a 10 hour day, even leaving for home at midnight, I have been looking forward to each trip home with a new fervor.

Thank you Kawasaki!
silviefox likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Trust all is well with your family emergency situation and on the seat forward pain...there are a lot of DIY here. hope you find some cure for your seat problem.
Nonsequitur likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 10:44 PM

Rawkstar makes a cheap good seat riser. or you can DIY with washers and a small plate. Either one helps alot with the forward pitch. This link will give you info. https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...-lift-mod.html
Fastoman and Nonsequitur like this.

Last edited by Skypilot 69; 11-20-2018 at 10:50 PM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Trust all is well with your family emergency situation and on the seat forward pain...there are a lot of DIY here. hope you find some cure for your seat problem.
Thank you sir, the wife had a stroke, but we won the lottery with the outcome and she has absolutely no lingering effects from it. All of our cars were manual six speed cars and while they are extremely fun, and the only thing I would drive, my wife had been longing for an automatic for a while and fell in love with the car my younger brother just purchased. It was a tap on the shoulder to remind us both of the most important things in life; and for me I feel like I won the lottery as no amount of money could ever replace my wife of 29 years. So I traded her car, that we were upside down in and my car which I owned to get her a 2018 SUV with bells and whistles and had enough left over to buy my new-to-me Versys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
Rawkstar makes a cheap good seat riser. or you can DIY with washers and a small plate. Either one helps alot with the forward pitch. This link will give you info.
Thanks Skypilot, I actually sent Rawkstar a PM regarding the riser and am hoping to get one; otherwise I will follow the instructions of others and make something myself. I have sent off an email to Terry Adcox for a possible custom seat. Looking forward to a long relationship with my Versys!
onewizard and Fastoman like this.

A Degree and a DD-214.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post
thank you sir, the wife had a stroke, but we won the lottery with the outcome and she has absolutely no lingering effects from it. All of our cars were manual six speed cars and while they are extremely fun, and the only thing i would drive, my wife had been longing for an automatic for a while and fell in love with the car my younger brother just purchased. It was a tap on the shoulder to remind us both of the most important things in life; and for me i feel like i won the lottery as no amount of money could ever replace my wife of 29 years. So i traded her car, that we were upside down in and my car which i owned to get her a 2018 suv with bells and whistles and had enough left over to buy my new-to-me versys.

may god be by the side of both of you always and bless you both with good health and prosperity.
Nonsequitur likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 11-21-2018 at 09:01 AM. Reason: end quote was missing [/QUOTE]
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Glad to hear your wife is on the up-and-up and that you're BACK to riding! Congrats on your "new to you" Versys!
Nonsequitur likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Welcome aboard!

The factory seat is not all that great. I put on a Sargent seat and couldn't be happier. Other aftermarket seat makers get good reviews, too, though my only experience is with this Sargent.

Handlebar risers helped me a lot. The forward lean was tiring. Now with the bars a little higher and closer the riding position is more upright and a lot more comfortable.

If you have helmet buffet at highway speeds then a new windshield will help. The Madstad works great for me. Note if you get an aftermarket seat it may put your head a slight bit higher, and you may want to get the next size up windshield. Madstad has a chart on their website recommending which size to get for your specific bike and how tall you are. It could be worth a phone call to discuss which height windshield is best for you if you start modding the seat and/or handlebars.
Nonsequitur likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 09:56 AM

Thanks Skypilot, I actually sent Rawkstar a PM regarding the riser and am hoping to get one; otherwise I will follow the instructions of others and make something myself. I have sent off an email to Terry Adcox for a possible custom seat. Looking forward to a long relationship with my Versys![/QUOTE]

Terry Adcox is the man. You won't be disappointed in his work.
Nonsequitur likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 10:28 AM

add handle bar raisers and get an after market seat (I ordered a seat from Terri Cox, look him up). It helped to mitigate the position problem.
Nonsequitur likes this.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Glad the medical issue resolved well. One at a time I have done all the things above, plus lowered by foot pegs. I used a 1.5 or 2 inch handlebar riser (the one that did not require moving any cables) and turned the bars toward me a little. Added the seat front riser from Rawkstar, but Fast Eddie also has very exacting details on a DIY unit. I bought a seat from one of the minions here on the forum and really like how that has changed things. I am 6'1" with bad knees, so the foot peg lowering also helped. Right now, there is nothing else I feel I need to do to the bike to make it comfortable. Good Luck
Nonsequitur likes this.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I have sent off an email to Terry Adcox for a possible custom seat. Looking forward to a long relationship with my Versys!

I had a Terry Adcock Seat on my V-650 and recently put one of his Flat Seats on my Versys 1000. I'm a bigger guy and his seats are amazing...

Terry's Custom Seat's Flat Seat For Versys 1000 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Terry's Custom Seat's Flat Seat For Versys 1000 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Nonsequitur likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
aboard!

I've ridden V650s OVER 155K miles, w/ the front raised about 9/16" (two longer bolts, 12 = 1/4" washers, a piece of scrap steel...), w/ MANY 11 to 12 hour days. Works for ME!

Costs you about $2 or $3.
Nonsequitur likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 05:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!

I've ridden V650s OVER 155K miles, w/ the front raised about 9/16" (two longer bolts, 12 = 1/4" washers, a piece of scrap steel...), w/ MANY 11 to 12 hour days. Works for ME!

Costs you about $2 or $3.
Thanks for this. I'll give it a try in the Spring. I've only ridden the Versys about 80 feet since I bought it a week ago. (Winter here) I've done a couple Iron Butt rides on an older Concours and a younger me! I do like to do the odd 800 - 1000km day and this little tip could be a big help.
Nonsequitur likes this.

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Vonnegut

Last edited by Glenn21; 11-21-2018 at 05:14 PM. Reason: space
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you everyone for the very warm welcome and the well wishes for my wife, she is doing well! Need to reach out to Terry again, his work is amazing, but he has a lead time currently out to mid-March, so I will be trying the riser DIY in the interim, thanks Fasteddiecopeman!
Glenn21 likes this.

A Degree and a DD-214.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn21 View Post
Thanks for this. I'll give it a try in the Spring. I've only ridden the Versys about 80 feet since I bought it a week ago. (Winter here) I've done a couple Iron Butt rides on an older Concours and a younger me! I do like to do the odd 800 - 1000km day and this little tip could be a big help.
When I joined this Forum back in June, '08, the BIG topic was making the seat BETTER [comfortable], and pretty much everyone did the mod to the seat that I have "passed-on REGULARLY", because it WORKS..., AND it's CHEAP!

-
Glenn21 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in