Versys 650 pannier keys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Question Versys 650 pannier keys

Hi guys,

I just upgraded my little VTR250 to a Versys 650 and itís fantastic. Even came with the panniers/saddlebags. I took it out for its first proper ride yesterday and discovered the plastic ďkeysĒ that lock the panniers had both disappeared.

Theyíre a simple black plastic thing that fits snugly in the hole pictured. This is not the type that fits the ignition key by the way, it can now be used with a quarter turn of a screwdriver - not ideal but at least Iím not locked out of the panniers.

If anyone has any advice on where to find some replacements online that would be awesome.

Cheers, safe riding all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	159517   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181111_085409.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	159519  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 06:51 PM

Welcome to the forum! Your bike looks great

It looks like the whole lock cylinder is missing from the pictured bag. I was able order new lock cylinders and re-key used KQR bags I purchased off a forum member. With no lock cylinder in the bag it is an easy process, less than a half hour at the worst, and your ignition key will lock your saddlebags. I paid $42 from RMATVMC.com for a pair of lock cylinders that come with the keying supplies. A dealer might sell them to you but they also probably insist on installing them for double what they cost. Good luck!

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
You may consider looking for a cheap lock cylinder that fit your box.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Langers...welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Versys!

Yeah, those little "plastic locks" are just for temporary getting into the side cases. I bought the OEM side cases and had to order the locks that go with it. (Just like the rubber mounts - $39 - that you need for these specific side cases AND the color panel set - $149 - that Kawasaki doesn't really mention you NEED until you discover afterwards...grrrr!)

You can order a set from Kawasaki, or get it through your local Kawasaki dealer like I did - with a discount!

https://www.kawasaki.com/accessories...stem/999940407
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the welcome and the info everyone. I didnít know those plastic ones were only temporary placeholder keys, although the fact they both decided to wiggle out certainly suggests so!

A set that fits the ignition key seems like the way to go. Asphaltaddict33, do you reckon those OEM ones Devilsfan linked are likely a half hour DIY job as well? I suspect postage to Aus from Rocky Mountain ATV would make the Kawa ones a cheaper option, especially if itís possible to do the install myself. Kawasaki say it must be done by a dealer, but of course they say that (ay Devilsfan).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode