Here to learn - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Devilsfan
  • 1 Post By Cape Fear
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Cape Fear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Cool Here to learn

Hey all. 50 y.o. married WASP from SEUS. I currently ride a 2004 ZG1000. My 17 y.o. son has a 1999 EX500R. We're looking at moving him up to a 650 Versys and putting his sister on the Ninja when she gets her motorcycle permit Dec 21st. She just took her MSF BRC last weekend. So I'm here to learn all I can about the Versys.
Cape Fear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 05:34 PM
Member
 
Devilsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)



Your son would love the Versys. It's an excellent bike!

I also own an EX500. They're great bikes to learn on and/or keep for zipping around town! I bought my 2007 EX500 for my nephew that wanted to learn to ride. Haven't heard from him since so...I've been tearing around on that thing! The more I ride it, the more fun it becomes! And, the EX's are a great bike to learn maintenance. Easy to tear apart and work on.
aboyandhisversys likes this.
Devilsfan is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,891
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Welcome from Canada

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html

Something personal, I recommend having a drivers license 3 years and a safety coarse before going to a street bike.You need to be part detective, expect someone is out to get you all the time and be alert at all times. After that it gets to be Someone that has been riding dirt for years, in competition etc. could bypass the 3 years , as you really need to be alert in competition.
onewizard is online now  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator
 
Fastoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ipoh.Perak.Malaysia
Posts: 6,860
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Fastoman is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Cape Fear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post



Your son would love the Versys. It's an excellent bike!

I also own an EX500. They're great bikes to learn on and/or keep for zipping around town! I bought my 2007 EX500 for my nephew that wanted to learn to ride. Haven't heard from him since so...I've been tearing around on that thing! The more I ride it, the more fun it becomes! And, the EX's are a great bike to learn maintenance. Easy to tear apart and work on.
Thanks for the welcome Devilsfan. We've really enjoyed the EX500 so far and he's learned a lot about maintenance and farkling. We tore the whole thing down and went through when he first got it, and done a few mods too.
Devilsfan likes this.

2004 ZG1000 Concours, 1999 EX500R Ninja... Versys next?
Cape Fear is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Cape Fear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
(link removed)

Something personal, I recommend having a drivers license 3 years and a safety coarse before going to a street bike.You need to be part detective, expect someone is out to get you all the time and be alert at all times. After that it gets to be Someone that has been riding dirt for years, in competition etc. could bypass the 3 years , as you really need to be alert in competition.
Thanks for the welcome onewizard. The kids literally grew up riding dirt and two-up on the street. Everyone took the MSF BRC course before they got their permit - it is a requirement in our state. In the beginning they must be supervised at all times, and we wear comm headsets so we can discuss the ride in real time. No one is allowed to ride solo on the street until they have at least 500 miles of supervised riding time.

As for the links, I tried to ensure I had emails turned on for PMs per your instructions, but I don't have that option. Here is a screen grab of my CP options:

<EDIT> I get an error message: To be able to post links or images your post count must be greater. You currently have 2 posts. Please remove links from your message, then you will be able to submit your post. Any way you can turn my picture posting privileges on? And also, is that why I don't have the option to activate emails for PMs post count is too low and PMs aren't activated? If so can you turn on my PMs also? No that can't be right, I got a "Welcome to the Forum" PM when I signed up...

<EDIT AGAIN> Dang it won't even let me post this because I quoted you and you had links in your post. Oy vey...

Sorry to post this in a Welcome thread, but the instructions thread for the "email on PM" topic is closed. I can start a new thread in the Forum Support & Help section if you prefer. Thanks for your hard work on this board.

2004 ZG1000 Concours, 1999 EX500R Ninja... Versys next?
Cape Fear is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Cape Fear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Thanks for the welcome Fastoman, and thanks for your work on this forum.

2004 ZG1000 Concours, 1999 EX500R Ninja... Versys next?
Cape Fear is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,891
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Welcome Links / Full Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Fear View Post
Thanks for the welcome onewizard. The kids literally grew up riding dirt and two-up on the street. Everyone took the MSF BRC course before they got their permit - it is a requirement in our state. In the beginning they must be supervised at all times, and we wear comm headsets so we can discuss the ride in real time. No one is allowed to ride solo on the street until they have at least 500 miles of supervised riding time.

As for the links, I tried to ensure I had emails turned on for PMs per your instructions, but I don't have that option. Here is a screen grab of my CP options:

<EDIT> I get an error message: To be able to post links or images your post count must be greater. You currently have 2 posts. Please remove links from your message, then you will be able to submit your post. Any way you can turn my picture posting privileges on? And also, is that why I don't have the option to activate emails for PMs post count is too low and PMs aren't activated? If so can you turn on my PMs also? No that can't be right, I got a "Welcome to the Forum" PM when I signed up...

<EDIT AGAIN> Dang it won't even let me post this because I quoted you and you had links in your post. Oy vey...

Sorry to post this in a Welcome thread, but the instructions thread for the "email on PM" topic is closed. I can start a new thread in the Forum Support & Help section if you prefer. Thanks for your hard work on this board.
From your description, you have the best possible training I know of in the world. As a parent with a son riding a Honda 919 ( 100 HP) , you always are concerned. I have witnessed someone with attitude create a very dangerous situation and my son took the bait and used his 100 horses, everything turned out OK, just very easy to get caught in the moment, instead of riding closer he needed to give more space ( car driver that doesn't like motorcycles). I will stop there.
I have added a individual link in the Member Intro stickies on setting user CP User Profile / PM / Update /Email Notification . That is also in my welcome link, however I need to know if you were unable to open that link?

Yes your post was stuck in moderation and fortunately you didn't post it a second time. For Fastoman , check the check box top left of the moderated post, then approve post, GO 1

As to posting, the clock started at 2PM yesterday, so Tuesday at 3PM you are a full member. Between now and Tuesday please check the User Profile / PM / Update /Email Notification in the stickies, you need 2 browsers open, one for following instructions, a second to change your user CP, everything is easy once you know how, I like sharing knowledge, so far at 68 I haven't done myself out of a job and in the electrical industry change is imminent & knowledge is power, I never stop learning .

Any problems post in this thread, it is your thread.


Last edited by onewizard; 11-12-2018 at 08:53 AM.
onewizard is online now  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,520
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Cape Fear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!
Thanks fasteddiecopeman, I'm glad to be here.

2004 ZG1000 Concours, 1999 EX500R Ninja... Versys next?
Cape Fear is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Cape Fear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
... so Tuesday at 3PM you are a full member. Between now and Tuesday please check the User Profile / PM / Update /Email Notification in the stickies, ...
Thanks for the reply onewizard. The option for allowing email notification for PMs still isn't available in the User CP but no biggie, I'll check it again later today after the probation period has expired. If it doesn't appear after that I'll post up the screen grab I made Sunday. Thanks again for helping to keep this place running smoothly!

2004 ZG1000 Concours, 1999 EX500R Ninja... Versys next?
Cape Fear is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,891
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Taking a Close Look Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Fear View Post
Thanks for the reply onewizard. The option for allowing email notification for PMs still isn't available in the User CP but no biggie, I'll check it again later today after the probation period has expired. If it doesn't appear after that I'll post up the screen grab I made Sunday. Thanks again for helping to keep this place running smoothly!
Something definitely wrong here, I have seen new members with 0 post count view threads. What browser are you using? It wouldn't be chrome or Safari?
You might get a Not Allowed and a post count requirement , however user CP is accessible or should be at the very first post count.If you have a screen shot or snip it , it could be helpfull just in case something did change in November.
onewizard is online now  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Cape Fear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I haven't had any problems viewing threads. I've been using Chrome Version 70.0.3538.102 on this board.

Apparently the PM section of the User CP is inaccessible during the probation period. Here is a screenshot of the "Messaging & Notification" from 11/11, no Private Messaging options:



Here is one from today, Private Messaging options are available:



So I'm good to go now, made the change to allow PM notifications via email like you suggested. Thanks again for your help!

2004 ZG1000 Concours, 1999 EX500R Ninja... Versys next?
Cape Fear is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,891
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Fear View Post
I haven't had any problems viewing threads. I've been using Chrome Version 70.0.3538.102 on this board.

Apparently the PM section of the User CP is inaccessible during the probation period. Here is a screenshot of the "Messaging & Notification" from 11/11, no Private Messaging options:



Here is one from today, Private Messaging options are available:



So I'm good to go now, made the change to allow PM notifications via email like you suggested. Thanks again for your help!
I need to ask how you got the clear screen shots, I know you used chrome, which I have but rarely use. Most times I use snip it and the clarity isn't there when I upload it. I know you are using smug.com , which may explain it.
onewizard is online now  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,891
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
PM Updated

I got the PM system updated, hopefully new members will now have access . Thank you for the screen shot's
onewizard is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome