Cheap catalytic converter 2016 Versys 1000/Wanted / To Improve Performance - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 2 Post By Steve in Sunny Fl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cheap catalytic converter 2016 Versys 1000/Wanted / To Improve Performance

Recently sold a 2005 Goldwing and picked up a 2016 Versys 1000 with 131 miles on it. Love the responsiveness of the bike and power. Have 840 miles on it and will soon do the 1000 mile break-in oil change. Any suggestions on preferred oil and filters to use? Thanks, Dave - Kansas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Looking for stock catalytic converter 2016 Versys 1000

I saw a video recently about removing the innards of a Versys catalytic converter to get better exhaust flow and sound. Has anyone experimented with this? Does anyone have a take-off converter for sale? Thanks, Dave - Kansas
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Have you thought about loss of back pressure and loss of low end torque?

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Hadn't considered lost of low end torque. That is why I wanted to try altering a take off unit. If it doesn't improve the performance, I can always go back to the original unit. Thanks
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Started riding bikes in 1961 on my Dad's 1959 Hercules Sachs 125 and have been hooked on riding ever since. At 67 years old decided to "right size" and sold my Goldwing for a lighter and more manageable Versys 1000. Really happy with the decision to lose weight.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rose View Post
Any suggestions on preferred oil and filters to use? Thanks, Dave - Kansas
Dave, welcome aboard! V650 rider here.

I use Mobil 1 Racing 4T fully synthetic motorcycle oil. For the first oil change all I could find locally was a major brand non-syn motorcycle oil. The transmission shifts noticeably smoother with the fully synthetic, and the synthetics do a better job of keeping a layer of oil on the parts when the engine isn't running.

There are lots of opinions about oils but you can't go wrong with a fully synthetic motorcycle oil.

I change the oil once per year, which is 4,000 - 5,000 miles. The cost of oil is miniscule compared to everything else (clothing, gas, helmet, tires, insurance ...) so for me it is a no-brainer to use a top quality oil.

I just use the factory oil filter. Again, there are lots of opinions on the topic! But you can't go wrong with the Kawi brand filter. You can spend a bunch more to get a fancy reusable, or you might save a couple of bucks with an automobile filter which fits the threading on your bike.

One thing I learned in owning a Subaru is there are engine specs which are important, such as the bypass pressure in the filter. Idk what those specs are for the Kawi engines but the Kawi filters would meet all the specs. Another brand of filter may not.

I can be as thrifty as anybody, but when it comes to oil and tires I don't try to pinch pennies. jmho

Last edited by Fly-Sig; 11-07-2018 at 08:44 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Recently sold a 2005 Goldwing and picked up a 2016 Versys 1000 with 131 miles on it. Love the responsiveness of the bike and power. Have 840 miles on it and will soon do the 1000 mile break-in oil change. Any suggestions on preferred oil and filters to use? Thanks, Dave - Kansas

Why not just get some headers to get rid of the CAT and if you don't like them you can just sell them....https://delkevic.com/kawasaki-versys...ers-2015-2018/

On my 2016 V-1000 i went from Amsoil to Motul 7100 10w40 Full Synthetic. I use an oil filter i bought back in 2010 and it has fit my last 3 bikes so now its on my V-1000 its been working fine for over 8 years now....https://www.amazon.com/PC-Racing-PCS...s-1+oil+filter

P1010573 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0115 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Fastoman likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm not sure the cat is creating any significant back pressure at all. I've seen a dyno run from a before and after v1000 that had been decatted, and all it showed as gains was about 2hp around 6000 rpm. I have been doing alot of dyno work on mine, and 5-6 k isn't really responding. When I saw that decatted dyno comparison, it made sense... it's not that the cat is restrictive, there's most likely a sonic reversion happening in that area that limits power. the only way out would be a different header, and likely one with a different diameter / pipe configuration than the stocker. Steve
onewizard and 16VGTIDave like this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I'm an OEM guy. I have other things to worry about, and fights and opinion-arguments over oil, filter, etc just are aren't worth the effort IMO.

If you just can't quite help yourself (and I admit to that weakness) OEM filters are reasonable, and Mobil1 T4 has been outstanding oil, and certainly helps the wet clutch.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 01:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode