New potential Versys 650 owner - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New potential Versys 650 owner

Greetings!
I've been out of motorcycling for about 30 years. I recently retired and now have lots of free time, and I'm nosing around to decide if I should jump back in. Scoping out the current motorcycle market has lead me to the Versys 650 and other mid sized sport-touring bikes. At this point the Versys 650 seems to be just about perfect for what I would need it to do. I'll be soaking up all the info I can from these forums. Nothing like hearing what current owners think about their bikes!

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html

This is a very active forum, I am on my second Versys, first a 07 now 2015 650 ABS,
p23brian likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 09:48 AM

I just got a new 2017 Versys LT in September. Second bike I ever owned, first was a 300 cc Honda scooter, 4 years, 21k miles. I like to ride. I took my new bike on a 2200 mile ride from Houston to Albuquerque and Santa Fe New Mexico. Great break in ride and I fell in love with the bike. Felt very confident in all kinds of situations, freeways, country roads, mountains, gravel roads, rain... Looking forward to more long rides in the near future.
p23brian likes this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Howdy Brian,

The following link is how I feel about my V-650. I hope you enjoy.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...le-review.html
p23brian likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 03:47 PM

Garage
p23brian likes this.

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

I joined in June '08, and got my FIRST V650 in Sept '08. SECOND in Nov '10 (an '09 I imported to Canada), but an "insurance write-off" in July '15. REPLACEMENT - my THIRD, a V650LT in July '15. TOTAL mileage among the three = 157,xxx MILES or 253,xxx KMS, and STILL have the '08 as well as the '15.

I think they're pretty good bikes.

-
p23brian likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. A local dealer has 2 brand new 2017 V650LTs that I've got my eye on. Listed selling price is $6799, plus $450 shipping, $200 dealer prep, $100 dealer registration processing, etc., $476 sales tax. Just about right at $8,000 out the door. He's had these bikes for a long time and is anxious to move them. I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger. I'm going to try to get him to knock off some or all of the dealer fees and/or throw in an extended warranty. If he only had 1 bike I'd be somewhat concerned that someone might snag it. Since he's got two, I'm pretty certain they both aren't gonna go that quickly. Still just considering whether I'll really ride enough if I get a bike. I'm pretty certain if I get a bike at all it'll be a V650LT. The only other bike I really like is the Yamaha Tracer 900 GT, but it costs too much to justify the price difference from the V650.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Check For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by p23brian View Post
Thanks everyone. A local dealer has 2 brand new 2017 V650LTs that I've got my eye on. Listed selling price is $6799, plus $450 shipping, $200 dealer prep, $100 dealer registration processing, etc., $476 sales tax. Just about right at $8,000 out the door. He's had these bikes for a long time and is anxious to move them. I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger. I'm going to try to get him to knock off some or all of the dealer fees and/or throw in an extended warranty. If he only had 1 bike I'd be somewhat concerned that someone might snag it. Since he's got two, I'm pretty certain they both aren't gonna go that quickly. Still just considering whether I'll really ride enough if I get a bike. I'm pretty certain if I get a bike at all it'll be a V650LT. The only other bike I really like is the Yamaha Tracer 900 GT, but it costs too much to justify the price difference from the V650.

First I have a 2015 650 ABS,I chose that over the LT because I didn't like the cases or the hand guards .

The LT includes 2 years warranty, as to extended warranty, check this forum, if something goes wrong with the Versys, it usually happens the first year, I can say it is rare, some have had fork seals fail, and when I say some, possibly 3 on this forum. The price is high for what your US dollar is worth. I included a couple posts from this forum For sale.
Not that far away.
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...t-%245475.html

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...sys-650-a.html

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...-upgrades.html
p23brian likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-27-2018 at 12:45 PM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
First I have a 2015 650 ABS,I chose that over the LT because I didn't like the cases or the hand guards .

The LT includes 2 years warranty, as to extended warranty, check this forum, if something goes wrong with the Versys, it usually happens the first year, I can say it is rare, some have had fork seals fail, and when I say some, possibly 3 on this forum. The price is high for what your US dollar is worth. I included a couple posts from this forum For sale.
Not that far away.
Thanks for the reply. I don't think I'll buy one of these new 2017 LTs at the current asking price. I agree, a very lightly used one is probably a better value. But if I can get the brand new one for closer to the cost of a used one, I'd rather just get a new one. I view the extended warranty as something that probably doesn't cost the dealer very much at all, but could potentially have value to me if an expensive problem comes up with the bike. I wouldn't pay much for an extended warranty, but if I can get them to include it for free it's worth something. I'm also still looking for very lightly used bikes also.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Still just considering whether I'll really ride enough if I get a bike.
Yo Brian...trust me, If you get a Versys you will definitely ride it enough.

The problem will be staying off of it cuz it is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much fun to ride.

I bought mine in August of last year and have already put 13,500 miles on it!

Owning a Versys is kinda like buying a pick up truck. After you buy it you say to your self, "man how did I get along without a truck all these years?"

Just do it son...just do it!

Cheers.
p23brian likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Do check around for prices on the extended warranty. I got four years extended on my LT for $435 from the dealer in Irving, TX. over the phone in about 5-19 minutes. I thin it was Adrian.

My local dealer wanted north of $700 for only three years.

Between fork seals and a warped brake discs, I'm in positive territory with almost three years to go and currently showing over 51k miles on the odo.

And for folks living in FLA with their weird warranty law, there has been no issue getting coverage from both a CO and FLA shop.
p23brian likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Do check around for prices on the extended warranty. I got four years extended on my LT for $435 from the dealer in Irving, TX. over the phone in about 5-19 minutes. I thin it was Adrian.

Between fork seals and a warped brake discs, I'm in positive territory with almost three years to go and currently showing over 51k miles on the odo.

And for folks living in FLA with their weird warranty law, there has been no issue getting coverage from both a CO and FLA shop.

Iím hoping to get the local dealer Iíve been in contact with to throw in the extended warranty for little or nothing. Heís had these 2 brand new Ď17 LTs sitting on his floor for a LONG time and told me straight up that he wanted to move them. Iím sure heís paying every month to keep them sitting there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devilsfan likes this.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I would like to see you get replacement on the brake discs, all good on paper, lots of outs for the dealer, such as regular service records, you should ask your dealer to put it in writing that they will replace warped brake rotors unconditionally for #years. Personally , the best place to stick your money if you get a LT , is take the $$ and buy the Service manual, buy some quality tools needed for the valve shim , vacuum sync ,get proper stands, crash bars, extra lighting, quality gear, read the posts in the How To Forum. IMHO that would be money well spent. I have been a member on this forum for 10 years, very little goes wrong with the Versys 650 ABS ,except for stator failure, the MK-2 & MK-3 have a improved stator and fail less often, there is a fairly cheap way of protecting against that, and I will be adding a newer post this winter, using the 4016868 Polaris, on my 2015.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I would like to see you get replacement on the brake discs, all good on paper, lots of outs for the dealer, such as regular service records, you should ask your dealer to put it in writing that they will replace warped brake rotors unconditionally for #years. Personally , the best place to stick your money if you get a LT , is take the $$ and buy the Service manual, buy some quality tools needed for the valve shim , vacuum sync ,get proper stands, crash bars, extra lighting, quality gear, read the posts in the How To Forum. IMHO that would be money well spent. I have been a member on this forum for 10 years, very little goes wrong with the Versys 650 ABS ,except for stator failure, the MK-2 & MK-3 have a improved stator and fail less often, there is a fairly cheap way of protecting against that, and I will be adding a newer post this winter, using the 4016868 Polaris, on my 2015.
The front brake disc that was warped was replaced under extended warranty by Seminole Powersports in Eustis, FL. If the disc is worn down to factory minimum spec they will not be covered as the disc has reached the end of it's service life. I.E., it's worn out.

I do have a downloaded version of the MaKaw service manual.

I have checked the valves twice. At 11k miles three exhaust were at minimum and one was bit under. Intakes varied but were "in spec". I adjusted all to maximum using a shim kit that I ordered in. I checked valve clearance at about 34k miles, none had moved according to the shim map that I had done the first time.

I've installed a Polaris rectifier. The bike has a set of daytime running lights in addition to an LED low beam and brake light flasher. And a Sparkbrite volt indicator.

The bike does have "crash bars". T-Rex. And Fenda Extenda and an oil filter cover. No skid bar, though. I have the KLR iff'n I wanna get a bit more serious.

i have a center stand and table lift for performing maintenance.

I keep meticulous service records.

I ride ATGATT almost always.

Near as I can tell, I'm ahead of the game on the warranty. As for the warped disc, I would have bought a pair of China discs and installed myself if I did not have the warranty. As far as the fork seals, I was on a four+ month trip out west and would have had to pay to have it done as I did not have the capability to do that on the road. I do carry extra tires, chain and sprockets, and tools to install, including a chain rivet kit.

With the exception of mounting tires on wheels that I have removed(except when traveling), carburetion work performed by Steve in Sunny FL (I removed and installed them), and the recently installed ECU flash, the above are the only instances that I recall taking any of my bikes to a shop ever, since 1970. I've ridden every year since that time except for one. A reasonable estimate would be 350-400,000 miles. In all of that, I've performed my own maintenance, mostly cuz I'm cheap, er um frugal and I want it done right. I aim toward preventative maintenance. I put over 220k miles on a C-10 Connie without it ever leaving me stranded on the side of the road.

I plan on having well over 100k miles on this bike under factory warranty. For that kind of coverage, $400 seems quite reasonable. And really, it's already paid for itself. Almost $300 for the disc and probably $200+(?) for the fork seals and install. I didn't see the paperwork on the seal replacements. Any additional claim is just frosting on the cake.

Skol!
onewizard likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?

Last edited by SteveJ; 10-28-2018 at 01:23 PM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
...Any additional claim is just frosting on the cake....
-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Iím hoping to get the local dealer Iíve been in contact with to throw in the extended warranty for little or nothing. Heís had these 2 brand new Ď17 LTs sitting on his floor for a LONG time and told me straight up that he wanted to move them. Iím sure heís paying every month to keep them sitting there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm almost positive they will negotiate price! Go in and throw them an offer. Let them know what you're willing to buy the thing for. It's last year's model, they've already got the 2019's coming in soon, he's got to get these off his floor!

Also, if price is non-negotiable...ACCESSORIES ARE!!! Tell them to throw in helmets/jackets/side cases/top case/etc... They also have store gift cards that I assume(?) they can write-off on taxes. Tell them to throw one in with $___ amount on it!

I always believe if the offer isn't something you're satisfied with then the bike isn't meant to be yours! Wait a little longer and look around. YOUR bike is out there somewhere!
p23brian likes this.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
I'm almost positive they will negotiate price! Go in and throw them an offer. Let them know what you're willing to buy the thing for. It's last year's model, they've already got the 2019's coming in soon, he's got to get these off his floor!:
It's actually a 2017, so it's now 2 model years old. And they've got 2 of them. I'm certain he's anxious to sell them.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Trust you will get the bike at a price you fell comfortable with. A little patience is all that is needed. You have been without a wheel for 30 years, so another 1 or 2 months will not make a big difference. Take your time and look around.
p23brian likes this.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

I did get to go for a hop on another bike over the weekend, but I'm still pretty convinced that if I get a bike at all it will be a V650LT. The one I rode was a used 2016 BMW S1000XR. It's also a road oriented sport tourer/ADV type bike like the Versys, but much more complicated and expensive. It has several different driving mode settings that control the engine, suspension, traction control, etc. and they range from mild to wild. It uses the same 1000cc engine as the S1000RR sport bike and HOLY CRAP is this thing FAST. It weighs the same as a V650 within a few lbs, but the engine cranks out ONE HUNDRED and 60 horsepower instead of the Versys 60 or so. A new one costs more than twice as much as a V650. It was fun taking it out for a spin, but I'm still convinced that a V650 would better meet my needs. The one thing I have to admit that I did really like about the BMW was the sound of that engine. Not really loud, but bad to the bone for sure.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The front brake disc that was warped was replaced under extended warranty by Seminole Powersports in Eustis, FL. If the disc is worn down to factory minimum spec they will not be covered as the disc has reached the end of it's service life. I.E., it's worn out.

I do have a downloaded version of the MaKaw service manual.

I have checked the valves twice. At 11k miles three exhaust were at minimum and one was bit under. Intakes varied but were "in spec". I adjusted all to maximum using a shim kit that I ordered in. I checked valve clearance at about 34k miles, none had moved according to the shim map that I had done the first time.

I've installed a Polaris rectifier. The bike has a set of daytime running lights in addition to an LED low beam and brake light flasher. And a Sparkbrite volt indicator.

The bike does have "crash bars". T-Rex. And Fenda Extenda and an oil filter cover. No skid bar, though. I have the KLR iff'n I wanna get a bit more serious.

i have a center stand and table lift for performing maintenance.

I keep meticulous service records.

I ride ATGATT almost always.

Near as I can tell, I'm ahead of the game on the warranty. As for the warped disc, I would have bought a pair of China discs and installed myself if I did not have the warranty. As far as the fork seals, I was on a four+ month trip out west and would have had to pay to have it done as I did not have the capability to do that on the road. I do carry extra tires, chain and sprockets, and tools to install, including a chain rivet kit.

With the exception of mounting tires on wheels that I have removed(except when traveling), carburetion work performed by Steve in Sunny FL (I removed and installed them), and the recently installed ECU flash, the above are the only instances that I recall taking any of my bikes to a shop ever, since 1970. I've ridden every year since that time except for one. A reasonable estimate would be 350-400,000 miles. In all of that, I've performed my own maintenance, mostly cuz I'm cheap, er um frugal and I want it done right. I aim toward preventative maintenance. I put over 220k miles on a C-10 Connie without it ever leaving me stranded on the side of the road.

I plan on having well over 100k miles on this bike under factory warranty. For that kind of coverage, $400 seems quite reasonable. And really, it's already paid for itself. Almost $300 for the disc and probably $200+(?) for the fork seals and install. I didn't see the paperwork on the seal replacements. Any additional claim is just frosting on the cake.

Skol!

A large part of warranty coverage is the Dealer, thankfully I found a extremely good one, anytime I can, I plug Delhi Ontario . I have also had a extremely bad dealer with my 07, to say crooked, isn't too far from the truth. Also experienced a really good Honda dealer that went to bat on a XR650 that had the motor fail 2 months out of warranty, tore it apart because Honda refused to cover it, the dealer went to bat after he saw the damage, and Honda paid to have the motor rebuilt, once repaired it was sold sold sold.

All I will say is I am like minded. And thanks for posting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode