New Versys 300X - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

14Likes
  • 3 Post By Jeff Lev
  • 2 Post By 52Degrees
  • 1 Post By 52Degrees
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By Jeff Lev
  • 1 Post By Scott Zinda
  • 1 Post By Jeff Lev

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
New Versys 300X

I haven't owned a bike in probably 25 years and suddenly got the itch after watching some YouTube Videos. I was leaning towards the KLR650 as I had dual sports in the past. The problem was when I sat on it I felt like it was a big beast and with 6 gallons of gas in it I couldn't imagine myself actually enjoying myself. I sat on a Versys 300X and I immediately loved how it felt from the seat height, width and weight. I went home and did some research. I kicked around the Honda CRFL250 Rally and the Honda XR650 but after looking at everything I kept going back to the Versys 300x. I loved that it was a twin,fuel injected and had ABS brakes. I also liked that it was faster then the other bikes I was shopping. I went on the Kawasaki website and found that there is a $750 rebate on 2017 Versys 300x. I was able to locate a leftover 2017 300X ABS in green for $5453 (tax not included) with crash bars and the A/C socket installed. I got one year zero percent financing. So I am excited to be back in the world of motorcycles it has been too long
52Degrees, miczat and Scott Zinda like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 06:50 PM

Garage
If you check the horsepower numbers between the Versus 300 and the KLR650, you'll probably get a big ol' grin on your face.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
miczat and Jeff Lev like this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Degrees View Post
If you check the horsepower numbers between the Versus 300 and the KLR650, you'll probably get a big ol' grin on your face.

Amazing, which leads to the question, what is Kawi going to do? the X300 has 6 gears and just under 2HP less than the KLR ( which has only 5 gears)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 10:06 PM

Garage
The specs I'm seeing have the Versys X with about 3 hp MORE than the KLR, and about 8 lbs less. Torque is the only deficiency I can see.

If I could afford to get a bike that's really just a toy for me, I think that'd be the one. I was in the market for a KLR when I bought my V1.

Jeff Lev likes this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I like that the Versys will rev!! Can't wait to break her in and run her to redline.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!
Jeff Lev likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Jeff Lev likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
enjoy your rid and be safe.
Jeff Lev likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I also added the auxiliary lights to make me more visible Since they were installing the crash bar and the AC socket. Better to take off the plastics one time so nothing gets damaged on my new baby,
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
150 miles on her in 2 days. I absolutely love this thing! Can't wait until she's totally broken in so I can hit 12k on the tach!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

BREAKING in your 300

I'm NOT suggesting anything, but here's a link to the way I broke-in all THREE of my V650s, on the ride home from the dealer. Then I changed the oil. LESS than 100 miles....

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
Jeff Lev likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Been taking her to 8-9k has 220 miles on her now. I have been varying the revs and not babying her. But I will not take her to the redline until after 600 miles and an oil change
Brockie likes this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 06:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lev View Post
I haven't owned a bike in probably 25 years and suddenly got the itch after watching some YouTube Videos. I was leaning towards the KLR650 as I had dual sports in the past. The problem was when I sat on it I felt like it was a big beast and with 6 gallons of gas in it I couldn't imagine myself actually enjoying myself. I sat on a Versys 300X and I immediately loved how it felt from the seat height, width and weight. I went home and did some research. I kicked around the Honda CRFL250 Rally and the Honda XR650 but after looking at everything I kept going back to the Versys 300x. I loved that it was a twin,fuel injected and had ABS brakes. I also liked that it was faster then the other bikes I was shopping. I went on the Kawasaki website and found that there is a $750 rebate on 2017 Versys 300x. I was able to locate a leftover 2017 300X ABS in green for $5453 (tax not included) with crash bars and the A/C socket installed. I got one year zero percent financing. So I am excited to be back in the world of motorcycles it has been too long
I made the same assessments as you and don't regret it. I only had about 10 years off or riding both dirt and street, but I am glad to be back. I have zero buyers remorse. I love this bike more the more I ride it. Congrats!
Jeff Lev likes this.

Scott

I feel safer on a motocross track than a freeway, but I am working on it.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
It took me about 15 minutes to get used to the feel of the bike. Now she feels like a worn in pair of jeans. Very easy to ride and so far getting around 62 MPG. The roads by me Upstate NY are beat to hell and this bike is perfect for them as the suspension soaks it up like nothing. The bike bug bit me hard and I will ride this thing whenever the weather is appropriate or as long as I can keep my fingers from freezing.
miczat likes this.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lev View Post
...I will ride this thing whenever the weather is appropriate or as long as I can keep my fingers from freezing.
Suggest a pair of handguards (ZETA XCs on my '08)

and heated grips (KOSO APOLLOs on BOTH the '08 and '15)

Keeping wind off your hands makes a BIG difference...!
Jeff Lev likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode