New member--New 650 Versys rider - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

10Likes
  • 2 Post By Dan983
  • 5 Post By Arion
  • 3 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New member--New 650 Versys rider

Hi--

A few months ago I purchased a new Honda ZRF 250 and was riding more on the road than off road. Realizing these are not great road bikes, I just bought a beautiful 2014 Versys. What a change.. The Honda reminds me of a 40 HP Volkswagen compared to the Versys, a 400 HP Corvette. The Versys is a rocket. I'm realizing riding in an urban environment, all I need is maybe up to 4th gear? What RPM range do these bikes like? I assume I need to gear to 3500-4000 RPMs? I found myself lugging the bike in 6th gear at too low RPMs?

A terrific rocket bike--I'm very glad I didn't go with the Honda V twin NC 750.

Thanks
Grumpy and Kyle E like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan983 View Post
Hi--

. I'm realizing riding in an urban environment, all I need is maybe up to 4th gear? What RPM range do these bikes like? I assume I need to gear to 3500-4000 RPMs? I found myself lugging the bike in 6th gear at too low RPMs?

Thanks

You will find the sweet spot as you ride...do different rides and speeds and you will know the gear/RPM ratio.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation New member -- riding Versys 650--Questions?

Hello--

I recently purchased a 2014 Versys and love the bike/experience! I am however scared of how amazingly dangerous riding in traffic is (I almost got killed today as a car almost pushed off the interstate at high speed)

My bike I very quiet and now I think low-sound motorcycles are deadly. I want the loudest exhaust system available? Any thoughts? Am I thinking correctly?
Thank you
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Question Noise equaling safety

Hi--

I believe noisy motor cycles are much safer? Any thoughts? What may be the best option to make my 2014 Versys noticingly loud?

Thanks
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
In my opinion, noisy motorcycles are not inherently safer than quieter motorcycles. In comparative terms, what tends to make motorcycles safer are competent, skilled riders who routinely practice critical riding techniques, focus on situational awareness, and adapt their riding style to meet the immediate and constantly changing environment in which they find themselves.

In my experience over some 50 years of riding a wide variety of machines (and I admit to having owned one or two noisy ones), is that loud motorcycles, fist and foremost, simply irritate people, some to the point of aggressive retaliation. They are largely non-motorcycling individuals, and their presumed belief that all motorcycles are loud (even the quieter ones) doesn't help the motorcycling community's image at all.

If you had posted this several years ago I would gladly have sold you the Two Brothers exhaust that came installed on my 2008 Versys. It was loud enough to both irritate the neighborhood and to give me blistering headaches on anything but the shortest rides. I reinstalled the stock muffler and couldn't be happier. And because the bike is red and I wear high visibility gear, I don't feel any less safe than when the bike was insufferably loud.

By the way, since I began riding in 1963 I've covered more miles than I can recount and have only been party to one accident in which I was struck, and it was by another motorcyclist that couldn't judge distance and smacked into the back of my bike, at low speed, while I was at a stopped at a traffic light. For what it's worth, those are my thoughts although they don't coincide with yours.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 10-23-2018 at 02:27 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

As the last Post

First I say this to every individual that thinks a bike is cheap and a better alternative to 4 wheels. The first thing is , you should have 3 years driving experience, second , take a motorcycle safety course. Next and this has been posted by others, assume someone is out to get you, be part detective, is that car slowing down because they are lost and the left hand turn lane may become a through lane directly into you because they don't see you. I will take the extra time here, for years I said I don't need a louder horn ( over 40 years of riding when I said that/ made that statement) , and then I almost had 2 near misses ( in my trade as a master electrician, we were required to file a report on some job sites when near misses occurred, explain what happened, did we have a plan in place, did we follow it, was it equipment break down, what could we do to prevent this from happening again, something like what many on this forum refer to the magic smoke escaping, much more detail but you get the drift), the same day I had the near misses I went to Twisted Throttle and bought the Denali Split Soundbomb Horn. I can say I have prevented at least 2 possible fatal accidents by a stopped car and truck on a curve, and a car trying to pull out into a second lane of traffic from a gas station, not seeing a approaching car and the car waving him out didn't see either , as to me , at least 3 times people unaware of my presence and more importantly didn't look.
I wear high visibility clothing / helmet , have extra lighting,Denali Horn, Admore mini light bar,Admore E56 lighting kit, a home made brake flasher one thing, keep in mind ,there will be; distracted drivers or those under the influence or those that hate all motorcycles especially loud ones. Being alert at all times and keeping your distance, trumps anything I said in my last sentence.
Arion, Randyjaco and TheBigAl like this.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-23-2018 at 06:48 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Moved Posts/ This is Your Thread

Quote:
Hi--

I believe noisy motor cycles are much safer? Any thoughts? What may be the best option to make my 2014 Versys noticingly loud?

Thanks
FYI, rather than getting 6 more welcomes in 3 threads, which splits comments, I moved all to your original thread, this way, those that have already welcomed you, may take the extra time to comment on questions you have, until your intro time-clock is complete ( 48 hours, from second post)
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You didn't mention where in Florida you live but I can tell you that when I lived in the Tampa area during the 80s (when texting while driving wasn't the danger it is today) I rode from eastern Hillsboro County to MacDill AFB daily until I became tired of random senior citizens trying to kill me day after day.

At the time I was riding a BMW R100CS and a Moto Guzzi V50 III. The BMW was relatively quiet but the Guzzi wasn't and it didn't seem to make much, if any, difference. The problem was, and probably still is, a rather large number of senior citizens who really shouldn't be behind the wheel of a vehicle any longer. Having said that, to be fair, they more often crashed into another large car or truck than a motorcycle.

I was advised when I arrived in Tampa to avoid vehicles that appeared to be self-propelled because it was most likely being driven by a little old lady who couldn't see over the steering wheel. I was also advised to avoid vehicles being driven by anyone wearing a slouch hat because it was likely to be a little old man whose eyesight was only slightly better than his hearing. Disclaimer: I can say things like this now because I've reached the elder statesman stage in my life. But I can still see and hear and balance on two wheels and focus on my riding environment - most of the time!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 03:19 PM

Garage
Dan, welcome. From my experience, above wearing the proper gear, the most valuable commodity you have on the road is space. Make sure you get what you might need. Next would be looking out passed what ever in directly in front of you. Ride safe and enjoy the bike.
Civit
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you really want to use noise to be noticed you should get a custom exhaust that points forward. Having the exhaust point to the rear just notifies everyone you've already passed. You should be worrying about the people in front of you.

I would suggest going to an automotive exhaust shop and have something custom made to point to the front. Preferably with one pipe on each side.

HTH.

BTW, just kidding, I think(?).

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?

Last edited by SteveJ; 10-23-2018 at 04:00 PM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

The near accident occurred when I was on a multi-lane highway, in the center lane to take the exit I needed. The car approached on my right side from the rear and almost pushed me from the lane. I don't think I could have been more alert? Agreed, my skill level is at the beginner stage and being 65, my need for speed is behind. I'm starting to think I should only travel on 2 lane roads?

Thanks for helping an old rookie?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks--Yes, I've purchased the high vis yellow jacket and Kevlar jeans. I'm trying to be as safe as possible and plan to stay off interstates and multi-lane highways. I live in N Tampa--We still have the old folks and even scarier, people texting and driving!

Thanks again!
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am older guy and a relative beginner (about 5000 miles of riding) and I avoid Interstates most of the time. The higher speeds alone with make any crash a lot more deadly. But on top of that, instead of just having to worry about those in front and behind you (and maybe on-coming) you also have to worry about the lanes around you. For that reason I almost always stick the right most lane, where I can dive onto the shoulder if need be. Otherwise, I will go to the far left, which around here is ususally a car pool lane (cycles permitted). I also simply don't find riding on an Interstate to be fun - they are intentionally boring roads. I much prefer state highways, which for us are usually two lane, often twisty, and relatively truck-free. And speeds tend to run 50-60 mph instead of 70+, which I am a lot more comfortable with.

Both of my rides have very bright LED driving lights which I leave on all the time. IMO you can never add enough lights. It was a very foggy morning here this morning and while out for a walk around dawn, saw a guy driving up our street on a Golden Wing that was light up like a xmas tree. Despite dense fog could seem him 3 or 400 yards away.

YMMV,

-dm

-dm
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Yes sir! Your thoughts are aligned with my impressions. I plan to add lights, especially blinking brake light and find a louder horn. The multi-lanes of traffic seem the most dangerous and I plan on avoiding them. All it takes for me is a single close-call.

Thank you
Dan
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
MY reply is to your ORIGINAL questions:

Quote:
...My bike I very quiet and now I think low-sound motorcycles are deadly. I want the loudest exhaust system available? Any thoughts? Am I thinking correctly?...
NO - you are NOT thinking correctly. Have you ever noticed an ambulance or fire-truck coming down the road, ALL those lights ON as well as the siren, and STILL people don't change lanes to get out of its way...?

People are distracted by their stereos, their phones, etc - so do you HONESTLY think that they will HEAR your motorcycle, [EVEN if it had straight-pipes]...?

Quote:
...I believe noisy motor cycles are much safer? Any thoughts? What may be the best option to make my 2014 Versys noticingly loud?....
See ABOVE reply, and ....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 06:47 PM

Garage
Welcome, I moved to a 650L from a smaller bike too and its so much nicer commuting and the short tour. Hope you enjoy.
So far as what revs to be in, I'm still working that out, but like you, somewhere between 3500 and 4500 seems ok on the 2017 model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode