Coming from a Bobber - bar-hopper to the Versys! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By swee0132
  • 1 Post By jaaklucas
  • 1 Post By SteveJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Coming from a Bobber - bar-hopper to the Versys!

Hey everyone!

just wanted to say hi. I've been reading and watching videos on YouTube regarding the Versys 650 for months now. I've finally pulled the trigger and purchased a brand new 2017 Versys 650 (leftover stock from last year). So far I'm loving this bike like crazy, and can't wait to see what the future holds.

A little background - my first bike was a 2003 GSX-R600 (yeah terrible first bike), in 2006 this was stolen off my porch when I lived in South Carolina. So then I decided to go the cruiser route. So I purchased a 2008 Yamaha V-Star 1100. Needless to say, it was a boring bike - and so I converted this to a bobber that was good at one thing...riding from Bar to Bar. Very uncomfortable. Now I'm almost 34 years young, have a wife, a 2 year daughter, and decided it's time for a REAL bike. I just purchased a 2017 Versys 650, and I've already put 400+ miles in the first few days. I'm soo in love with this bike.

I have a few things I need to address:

1. The stock seat rams my man parts into the tank after a few hours in the saddle - I'm going to try the trick "Dork in the Road" suggests and raise it up a bit. I'm a little concerned by doing this - I could possibly ruin my stock seat and will be forced to shell out hundreds for a new seat.

2. I'm 5'6" and can barely touch the toes on both feet to the ground. I am perfectly fine with using one foot/leg at stops, but man would a few inches be nice - I'm looking into the Motowerks lowering kit - but just afraid of making the bike handle differently than it does currently (I love the handling so far)

3. The last thing is to install goodies like heated grips / accessory charger / cell phone mounts...you name it - if it's tech, I want it Plus, anything to keep me riding as far into the Minnesota season as possible is the best!

If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to let me know - I'm just pumped!

I'm looking forward to checking these forums out and ride this fine piece of engineering!

~Mike
Kyle E likes this.

Brand new Adventure with the VERSYS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 05:30 PM

Welcome!

Glad to see that you are excited about your new bike(as you should be).
1. Yea the seat is probably the biggest complaint with the Versys. Raising the front of the seat is a good cheap mod, and it does help a lot. I along with many others on this forum have done this mod. I've not had or heard of others having a problem with it damaging or hurting the seat in any way. It helps alot, but is not nearly as good as an aftermarket or custom seat, but it only cost a couple of bucks.
2. I haven't lowered my bike, but others have, and say it handles very well if you lower the forks to match the amount that the motowerks lowering kit lowers the rear. however you will have lower ground clearance, and probably need to shorten the kickstand.
3. Installing goodies is part of the fun of owning the Versys. Some goodies make you more comfortable and the ride more enjoyable, while others help protect the bike.
4. Enjoy your Versys and let us know about it.

Last edited by Skypilot 69; 09-27-2018 at 05:34 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you don't have them already, look at bark busters. Deflecting the wind from the hands is a big help in the chill. Granted my cold is your summer, but when it hits that FREEEEZING 50 deg F here in Vegas, its enough to keep me on the bike!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 07:00 PM

I would perhaps invest in a lower, flatter seat. I don't have man parts, and am a tall girl, at 5'10", so the seat is comfy for me.

Congrats and enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Welcome from Canada

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html
First, there are 1000's using Speedy lowering link, had it on my 07 , then the 2015 was a different one, have it on the 2015, along with highway peg mounts, footpeg lowering, flat foot, mirror extenders , well I would need several more lines of text so, about 80% of my farkles:

#4 Thermo Bob

Oxford heated grips and Denali D2 lights

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
...and congrats on your new Versys!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
aboard. enjoy your ride and be safe.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 10:40 PM

Im 5 foot 8 and lowered everything,and lower Seargent seat as well as bar risers on my 15 650.The reason the bike comes so tall is its a modified sports bike platform I think..If you dont need all that clearance,you will love the way the bike handles lowered. Can corner real tight like a sport bike and the lower center of gravity is easier to manage.Heated grips a must for us northern folks!
onewizard likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
All manufacturer's adventure bike seats are made that way, that is with a narrow and lower front section that is sloped.

If you're sliding forward to the narrow part of the seat while riding it is because of the bar position or posture. Adjust bars for very slight forward bend at waist with bent elbows and it will keep you on the wide and supportive part of the seat. The narrow part of the seat is to allow you to touch your feet down at a stop.

A slight forward bend while riding is easier on the back too, transfers braking forces to the hands so will not slide during the hardest braking, and balances you against wind.

Sitting on the narrow part of the seat puts pressure on the boys which is bad for comfort and future reproduction on a trip longer than a few minutes.

New bike upgrades https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...d.php?t=217389

Last edited by twowheels; 09-28-2018 at 12:21 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome abosrd from an ex Minnesnowtan(ASSuming from your avatar you live there.

Seat. I went with a Seat Concepts DIY seat kit and have the front raised using the washer trick. In over 40k miles since doing the washer mod, no issues.

You may want to avoid the GPS mount from SW Motech. The plastic parts that slide together developed play in them, had to JB weld them together. The rubber isolation bits also seem to be developing a looseness. I plan on replacing it with a PVC tube anchored between the windshield supports and using a Ram handle bar adapter.

For aux power i have installed a 6 place fuse block with LED outage indicators near where the computer diagnostic port is wired up r\to shut down with the key. I have circuits for aftermarket horns, Chameleon+ oiler, aux lights, Rostra cruise control and heated grips. i may also put in a circuit for a heated shirt that DW and I made.

For the grip control I bought this pulse width modulator:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately no longer available, perhaps Digi Key would have something or adapt something else to work.

I wired up a battery tender lead to handle charging of phone, GPS, etc so I can charge w/out the key on. I ran the cord extension into the tank bag for distribution.

The location on the dash is problematic for a power outlet as the Barkbusters interfere with all but very short lighter plug ins. Just an FYI.

All in, I like the bike. The chain drive was/is a hassle coming off of shafties for the past 38+ years, though I also have a KLR. Only issues, covered under the extended warranty, have been a warped brake disc and fork seals. I bought the bike with almost 12k miles on it almost two years ago, it passed 51k yesterday. And it is not babied, way too much fun flogging it. I fully intend to have well over 100k on it before the warranty expires.

Do consider installing a series rectifier/regulator, your stator will love you for it. A search on this forum will turn up good install info for that. Do note that the '15 and up are different installs than the earlier bikes.
onewizard likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?

Last edited by SteveJ; 10-07-2018 at 02:25 PM. Reason: fickst speeling airors
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

This is a ton of information, that's for sure

Thanks everyone for the kind welcome. I'll be looking into the lowering kit from Motowerks first, as it's the cheapest. I'll update you on my ride after I set that up.

Cheers!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swee0132 View Post
1. The stock seat rams my man parts into the tank after a few hours in the saddle - I'm going to try the trick "Dork in the Road" suggests and raise it up a bit. I'm a little concerned by doing this - I could possibly ruin my stock seat and will be forced to shell out hundreds for a new seat....
Raise the front of your seat for about $2. Requires 2 = 6mmx45 bolts; 12 = 1/4" washers; and a piece of scrap steel w/ TWO holes drilled in it:

EASY, PEASY!!!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode