Hello from Colorado + advice - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

9Likes
  • 1 Post By JCRV650
  • 1 Post By StormRider
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By Fastoman
  • 1 Post By Avande
  • 1 Post By mrvwbug
  • 1 Post By tommyvous59
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello from Colorado + advice

Hi guys. Just thought I would introduce myself. My name is Justin. I am really looking forward to getting to know all of you. I just picked up a 2008 versus 650. I had a 2011 kawasaki ninja 1000 that I traded in on it...unfortunately i had to get rid of it as I am not doing well financially (Severe insomnia due to long term benzodiazepine use has made working all but impossible) so I was unable to afford the payments and insurance (fairly high as I am only 22). I'm definately going to miss the power of my ninja but it will be nice to have something a bit more versatile for here in Colorado and much less tempting to speed on.

I unfortunately wasn't able to ride the bike until the other day as the dealer that i purchased it from failed to address a leaking radiator cap and non-functional radiator fan relay (Coolant was boiling within 5 minutes of riding). It is now fixed and running pretty well. Anyways, I realized within 30 minutes of beginning my ride that the factory seat absolutely had to go. Not only does the factory seat push you up against the tank and away from the cushy, wide section near the rear , the continuous readjustment and sliding forward on the seat causes my Jean's to bunch up around my groin. This is leading to very painful chaffing within only 45 minutes or so. Can you guys make a seat recommendation? I have seen several online (sargent, Corbin, saddlemen, seat dynamics, etc) and they are all quite expensive/ out of my price range. Is there a cheaper alternative or modification I can make to this seat to at least make it comfortable to ride for more than 45 minutes? Thanks.
mrvwbug likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 10:51 AM

Garage
Welcome and hope you can get back to work soon. I'd go with a seat concepts seat. They send you a foam and cover and you staple it on yourself. I tried some DIY foam reshaping and raised the front of the seat with washers which helped a little but I still need a seat concepts seat.
JCRV650 likes this.

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 - Barkbuster hand guards, Hepko & Becker crash bars, Oxford Heated sports grips, Motowerk lowering Kit with Kickstand insert, Shad SH45 Top Case and Brake Light, Shad Versys Top Mount Kit, Superlite 43T Rear Sprocket, National Cycle VStream Sport Touring Windscreen.

Roaming the country around Columbus in ever wider circles.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRV650 View Post
...Anyways, I realized within 30 minutes of beginning my ride that the factory seat absolutely had to go. Not only does the factory seat push you up against the tank and away from the cushy, wide section near the rear , the continuous readjustment and sliding forward on the seat causes my Jean's to bunch up around my groin. This is leading to very painful chaffing within only 45 minutes or so. Can you guys make a seat recommendation?....
Raise the front of your seat - costs about $2 and a piece of scrap steel! See this link:

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...s-methods.html

I have OVER 150,000 miles on this mod, over three V 650s.
JCRV650 likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html

OK, this is a very common problem, today it just struck me as funny, if we had a emoji that symbolized laughing hysterically I would have used it>
So my 2008 had a Corbin, which for some reason wouldn't fit on my 2015, however others have used this same seat on the 2015. Let me say one of THE worst companies I have ever dealt with, the cost between the exchange of the Canadian dollar and the cost of shipping, just can't justify the expense even if I have the $$$$
So this is what I did https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...tions-diy.html See posts 28 through 31
JCRV650 likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 09-19-2018 at 03:40 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
DIY your seat with some gel insert and will save you $$$.

Trust all goes well with you..
JCRV650 likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 01:25 AM

Welcome!
JCRV650 likes this.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome, what part of Colorado?
JCRV650 likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!

Raise the front of your seat - costs about $2 and a piece of scrap steel! See this link:

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...s-methods.html

I have OVER 150,000 miles on this mod, over three V 650s.
welcome. listen to fast eddie. the problem is the tilt of the seat. raise the front "a la methode de fast eddie". voila. easy and cheap cure. as onewizard said, this is an almost universal complaint with the seat. other than the tilt, I find the seat is fine for touring. if you marathon ride long enough and far enough, you'll get butt rash/sores, irregardless of seat.
JCRV650 likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvous59 View Post
...this is an almost universal complaint with the seat....
I joined the Forum in July '08, and the "fasteddie solution" was one I got from the FIRST Versys Forum inmates, way-back-when, and the FIRST 'mod' done to all THREE of my V650s!

(I'm just "passing it on"!)
JCRV650 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Eddie I am having difficulties viewing the link you provided. I recieve a message stating I do not have the permission to access that page. Any idea why this may be? I think your mod will be the solution...the seat is comfortable near the rear I just slide down from there continuously. Now, if only I could view your instructions...

mrvwbug I live in Fort Collins

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRV650 View Post
Eddie I am having difficulties viewing the link you provided....
Take a scrap piece of steel, drill two holes in it, then remove the piece (at the rear of your gas-tank that the "lip" at the front of the seat goes under), and use two LONGER (I use 6mmx45) bolts as well as some 1/4" washers (I use 12 - six per side), and attach the piece of steel you 'made'. Raises MY seats by about 9/16".

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in