Kinda new / kinda not - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

14Likes
  • 3 Post By Avande
  • 2 Post By 52Degrees
  • 2 Post By Buffalo_Bob
  • 1 Post By Devilsfan
  • 2 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By Avande

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Kinda new / kinda not

Well I did something stupid about 3 1/2 years ago. On a whim I decided to list my 2012 Versys on Craigslist and it sold in a couple of days. I bought a used Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic so that I could take my wife on more comfortable two up rides. After about a year and only a couple of rides with the wife...I realized I had made a HUGE mistake!! So now 3.5 years later I am negotiating with a local Kawi dealer to trade in the Vulcan on a 18 Versys LT, biggest problem is Iím going to be taking a sh*t kicking on the Vulcan and am wondering if I should pull the trigger, or try to sell the Vulcan privately and look for a good used Versys (I sure did love that yellow and black 2012). Any suggestions??

Glad to be back! Aris
onewizard, Kyle E and 52Degrees like this.

Lovin every minute of it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 10:00 PM

Garage
My vote is to keep the Vulcan as your special "but it's for you, honey!" bike and pick up the Versys for "commuting to work and back"

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Avande and Devilsfan like this.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

That’s a great idea, however up here in British Columbia insuring your bike is quite expensive, so two bikes is not an option for me. If I could swap the plate and insurance back and forth, that would be great, but here they both need to be plated and insured $$$$$$

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 02:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Had a Vulcan 1600 Classic. Great cruiser, great on the highways lousy on the byways . Don't miss it at all. The Versys is FUN! Isn't that what we are riding for ?
Smiley and Avande like this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Avande - I rode cruisers for 20+ years and never would have thought to ever again get on a sports bike and/or an ADV bike.
Now, I have a 2018 Versys 650 and picked up an old 2007 Ninja 500. Love them both but the Versys...it's a tough one to ever get rid of.

With that being said, I think the current market in used motorcycles is plentiful, meaning that used motorcycles aren't going to get what they're probably worth. The US economy is doing well and most people and dealers are giving better prices for brand new bikes while giving you minimal on trade-in's. Selling outright, it's a toss of the coin. I am always on Craigslist and Cycle Trader just looking. And some of the prices these used owners are listing them for, well...I'd never give them that much!

I think it all depends on how patient you are to sell. I've seen bikes on CL that have been listed for months (at a price I know they'll never get!) but they keep listing and never budging. Meanwhile, the bike is getting another year older and they're losing out.

I'd see what you can negotiate with the dealer first. If they don't give you a decent trade-in maybe ask them for accessories on a new bike. (Helmets, jackets, tank bags, etc...) Sometimes they can write those things off on a trade-in. If they don't want to bargain with you post your Vulcan up on CL and Cycle Trader and see what happens. Ya never know!
Avande likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avande View Post
Well I did something stupid about 3 1/2 years ago. On a whim I decided to list my 2012 Versys on Craigslist and it sold in a couple of days. I bought a used Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic so that I could take my wife on more comfortable two up rides. After about a year and only a couple of rides with the wife...I realized I had made a HUGE mistake!! So now 3.5 years later I am negotiating with a local Kawi dealer to trade in the Vulcan on a 18 Versys LT, biggest problem is Iím going to be taking a sh*t kicking on the Vulcan and am wondering if I should pull the trigger, or try to sell the Vulcan privately and look for a good used Versys (I sure did love that yellow and black 2012). Any suggestions??

Glad to be back! Aris
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html A considerable amount has changed on the forum. You aren't the first one that has tried to accommodate the better half, won't mention any names, but helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, footwear, all sitting in the closet. And a little elaboration here, back problems and riding pillion are not compatible .
Avande and Buffalo_Bob like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Get RID of the cruiser, and GET the Versys - it will do EVERYTHING, tho' it STILL will not fit in w/ the H-D crowd....

-
Avande likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
The Versys gets better with every iteration in design (2010+, 2015+). That said lightly used bikes are usually the best value, especially when you buy in the fall when the market has slowed.

If you have followed the motorcycle market over a number of years or bought and sold a few bikes you will learn you get maximum return by selling a bike yourself rather than trading at the dealer. Trade in value and resale value are different. The dealer needs to make a $1500 or more profit on each used bike sold to make it worthwhile. Suggest getting the trade in value from the dealer and the blue book resale value from the Internet. The private sale price will likely be somewhere between these values. Don't be tempted to list a bike in the classifieds for any more than the blue book value or you will not get any reasonable response from your ad. Most motorcycle listings on http://www.craigslist.com and http://www.kijiji.ca are over priced and sell for much less. You are better to list as close as possible to your final sale price. The blue book value is the average sale price a dealer gets for selling a used bike. Private sale prices are always less than what the dealer is selling used bikes for. Accessories may or may not add to the value. Usually it is best to remove these and sell separately via a forum for the bike and then list the bike for a more favorable price and try and then up sell the buyer of the bike on the accessories.

There will be no differences between bikes with the same generation. (2007-2009, 2010-2014, and 2015 - current).

The best time to buy a new bike is early in the year when there are manufacturer discounts on last years models left in the showroom. The best time to buy a used bike privately is late in the fall when interest has waned.
Smiley and Avande like this.

Last edited by twowheels; 09-16-2018 at 01:34 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the comments/suggestions.

The cruiser is terrible for my back, wonít be keeping it. Good suggestion on the accessories, Iíll try that angle to get a bit more ďvalueĒ for my trade. Iíve noticed a lot of the dealers that take in trades have a glut of Japanese cruisers on the used lot....a trend....maybe?

Iím not in a major rush, our riding season up here is coming to a close, maybe if I hold out for a month or two the dealer will want to sell something a little more.

Good to see some familiar names still on here. This was the best motorcycle forum Iíve ever been on, looks like itís still going strong!
Smiley likes this.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avande View Post
...Good to see some familiar names still on here. This was the best motorcycle forum Iíve ever been on, looks like itís still going strong!
And STILL the BEST!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 08:07 PM

Garage

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode