New Member from Arizona - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

6Likes
  • 1 Post By Ricki Ticki Tavi
  • 1 Post By Arion
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Lee R

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
New Member from Arizona

The Versys is the third Kawasaki I've owned. I rode a 2003 Nomad for 12 years and put about 100K on it and a KLR that I rode for several years and put about 25K on it but I liked the, ready for the obvious, versatility of the Versys. I bought a 2016 that was new and want to find out what kind of tires are best for desert dirt road travel. There are more dirt roads in AZ than paved and some towns are only accessible by dirt road, so think, graded, sometimes washed out but not too bad. Any ideas? I was looking at the Shinko 705 or Pirelli Scorpion STR but am open to suggestion.... and experience.
Kyle E likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Second post.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

I use Shinko E705s on BOTH of my Vs, and I ride the Apache Trail (and other 'dirty' roads!) regularly.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 08-15-2018 at 03:37 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!

I use Shinko E705s on BOTH of my Vs, and I ride the Apache Trail (and other 'dirty' roads!) regularly.
I'd put a lot of faith in what Ed says - he's probably ridden almost every dirt road in Arizona. Many good stories and great photos. And on top of that, as I recall he's ridden D2D at least twice and that's heroic in my book (or slight whacko). But then I rarely ride off road intentionally.
Ricki Ticki Tavi likes this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 08:53 AM

Shinko tires

Welcome!
I have used Shinko tires and found them to be of excellent quality.
Tom
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
I'd put a lot of faith in what Ed says - he's probably ridden almost every dirt road in Arizona. Many good stories and great photos. And on top of that, as I recall he's ridden D2D at least twice and that's heroic in my book (or slight whacko). But then I rarely ride off road intentionally.
D2D THREE times - '13 and '15 on the '09 GREEN HORNET (which got 'written-off' after a low-side near Inuvik [but STILL was ridden back to Kelowna w/ a 'tweaked-something!]), and again in '16 on the '15 GREEN HORNET TOO.

Rode the Dempster Hwy to Inuvik and back twice - '09 on a KLR650, '15 on the GREEN HORNET.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
D2D THREE times - '13 and '15 on the '09 GREEN HORNET (which got 'written-off' after a low-side near Inuvik [but STILL was ridden back to Kelowna w/ a 'tweaked-something!]), and again in '16 on the '15 GREEN HORNET TOO.

Rode the Dempster Hwy to Inuvik and back twice - '09 on a KLR650, '15 on the GREEN HORNET.

Here's a pic of the FIRST time I rode the Dempster, in '09 on my '04 KLR650, w/ Bill from Vancouver, BC.

and here's from the FIRST Alaska ride I did ('04) on my 'Zuki Bandit 1200S, posed in Dawson City, YT w/ my buddy Joe from Arkansas (at THAT time)!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricki Ticki Tavi View Post
The Versys is the third Kawasaki I've owned. I rode a 2003 Nomad for 12 years and put about 100K on it and a KLR that I rode for several years and put about 25K on it but I liked the, ready for the obvious, versatility of the Versys. I bought a 2016 that was new and want to find out what kind of tires are best for desert dirt road travel. There are more dirt roads in AZ than paved and some towns are only accessible by dirt road, so think, graded, sometimes washed out but not too bad. Any ideas? I was looking at the Shinko 705 or Pirelli Scorpion STR but am open to suggestion.... and experience.
Check out the Avon Trailrider as well. I've run the 705 in Arizona, worked great until it hit 10k miles (front, rear went 4500) then it got ultra sketchy on wet roads when I got home (NY). They're cheap though so you could just replace when they get sketchy if they ever do, and AZ is pretty rain free most of the time.

I've run the original Scorpion Trail but not the STR or the Trail 2. The Trail was fine for packed dirt roads and was a really good sport tire as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode