Enter the world of Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Lee R

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Enter the world of Versys

Hello everyone,

After 20 years of riding and my 7th motorcycle selection I'm here with a new Versys 650. My arc of motorcycle experience started with a Kawasaki KLR 650 then onward through a 883 Sportster, a Vstrom 650, a Triumph Tiger 1050 and up until a few days ago Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX. All of those bikes were excellent (except that 883 in corners) but after putting many miles on those different machines I'm here for the great balance the Versys 650 represents.

Fast enough to get a thrill while utilizing all the engine, no wasted hp.
Great MPG
Great Range
Pretty decent stock suspension and brakes.
Lighter than many options
Comfortable enough for long days.
Decent luggage
Looks like very reliable.
Cheaper maintenance costs than 1000cc bikes.

The past motorcycles I've owned feel like set of "here" or "how bout here" "1" or "2" like an optician would administer to get just the right prescription for my cycling tastes. It's quite the goldilocks of attributes in many ways.

Great to be here and I'll surely have questions as I sort through the treads. As you can see from my join date in 2016 the Versys has been on my radar for many years but I had two very good previous bikes to learn from before landing here.

First service was a piece of cake as I've been maintaining my own bikes for a decade after paying nearly 1000 dollars for a 24k service on my Tiger 1050, a quick learner after that!
onewizard and jaaklucas like this.

Last edited by Lee R; 08-01-2018 at 03:45 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 05:47 PM

Garage
Welcome. I ran through quite a few before I picked a Versys.

Randy

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

USB/voltmeters in, kinda essential for that phone charging. Temperature guage is up next, not essential but sorta fun to watch and I got used to having one on my last bike. Other than that I think the instrumentation is complete. Big huge thank you to Kawasaki for prewiring the bike to make that very easy. I did notice on the 17 only one set of connectors where there used to be one for the 12v and one for the gear indicator. It would be nice to have two sets to run two separate accessories. I plan to just run both into one as the Temp Guage uses like 10 milliamp.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
...It would be nice to have two sets to run two separate accessories. I plan to just run both into one as the Temp Guage uses like 10 milliamp.
My '15 V650 has THREE (look in the OWNERS MANUAL for where they are....), that are powered once you add a relay near the headlights.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
My '15 V650 has THREE (look in the OWNERS MANUAL for where they are....), that are powered once you add a relay near the headlights.
That's the Grips, Gear indicator and 12v Acc wiring correct? The 17 has the Grips and the 12v but the wiring for the gear indicator was absent.

No big deal though as the Temp guage uses 10 milliamp so I just combined the wiring into the accessory plugs and everything is streamlined and clean under the fairing with minimal extra wires. The only other thing I'm installing is the grips later this fall and that's all the electrical I need. I'll have a SAE plug direct from battery for my battery tender plus USB (always on) for camping which has a voltmeter built in so you don't over do it. (I just charge me Sena with that). And a lead direct from battery for my Heated jacket.

From what I've read this bike can do Heated Jacket, Grips and charge a phone at the same time under way (not idle) which is all I need. If it can't hold that load I'll look into reducing wattage in the headlights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1753.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	157255  

Last edited by Lee R; 08-06-2018 at 08:12 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
That's the Grips, Gear indicator and 12v Acc wiring correct?....
Yes - also the fog lights.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 02:01 PM

Don't the 2017 comes with the gear indicator?

The 2018 does.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasanderson00 View Post
Don't the 2017 comes with the gear indicator?

The 2018 does.

Yes, the wiring for the gear indicator was removed on my 17. Love the gear indicator. I always try to shift to 7th without one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode