Fairing Needed / 2016 650ABS / New Member - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fairing Needed / 2016 650ABS / New Member

Hey everyone! Just bought my second bike, 2016 Versys 650, to replace my first bike, Yamaha FZ-07. Decided to switch from a sport bike style to more adventure touring. Excited to make the switch (and even more excited to sell my Yamaha to offset the cost of the Versys, lol). So if you know anyone in the market for an FZ-07, message me.

Also interested in finding a center stand for the Versys. Interested more in the Hepco & Becker version since it doesn't have any clearance issues with the side stand. However, would also be open to a SW-Motech version. I found both online but they're quite expensive, so I was hoping that someone wanted to get rid of theirs for a more affordable price.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum. Glad to see another rider in Houston! I'm about two months into ownership of my 2017 Versys 650, and I'm also enjoying the hell out of it.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Welcome and congrats on your new Versys!

As for the center stand I installed a Hepco & Becker at the beginning of summer. I saw that it didn't interfere with the side stand or chain so I went with it. Very easy to install and makes chain maintenance a breeze!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 05:45 PM

Garage
Welcome from Friendswood TX. You will probably find the information you need here.
Randy
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 06:46 PM

Welcome! I'm northeast of Houston, but I work inside the beltway. I don't have a Versys yet, but hope to soon.

Its funny, I thought I saw an ad on Craigslist for a Yamaha FZ07, and the seller said he/she was only selling it because they wanted a Versys. Maybe it was you?

Look forward to see how you like it!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 07:56 PM

Garage
Welcome! There are quite a number of Houston Versys riders in this thread. I just purchased an SW Motech centerstand for my wife's bike: 2015 650. I've also lowered her bike, so I'll have to modify it to work. I am looking forward though to having easier chain maintenance, especially on longer trips that we hope to make in the not too distant future.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I didn't realize there were so many of us in and around town. I'm looking for good day trip routes and maybe some short 50-mile or so routes. I should start a thread in the appropriate forum to swap ideas.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 11:08 AM

I rigged my snap jack to mate with my rear spool.Very easy now for chain maintainence,even changed my sprocket.My very short buddy has an Africa twin and he uses his center stand for mounting the bike.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Or you can cut down an old crutch to use for chain maintenance away from home.... [Along w/ some double-sided Velcro to hold the front brakes ON so it doesn't 'roll'.]

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

New Versys 650 Rider

Hey all! I am relatively new to this site and wanted to ask for some assistance in finding replacement fairing for my 2016 Versys 650 ABS. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to post in a different forum so I'm going through this "Member Introductions" forum to ensure I get my first two posts again, and hopefully within 48 hours I'm able to post this question in a better suited forum.

I rode the Texas Hill Country 500 this weekend and took a nasty spill after one of the river crossings while going through some deep, muddy ruts (none of that was expected to be on this ride). The bike fell hard on the right side and cracked nearly all the fairing (cowling?) on the front end. Looking for any advice out there on sites/stores to find replacement parts.

Thanks!

_________

Andre
Houston, TX
2016 Versys 650 ABS
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 04:57 PM

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 06:44 PM

Garage
I can't think of a single place in the Houston area, and I have looked. Versys just aren't that popular around here. Unless you plan on going to a dealer, eBay is probably your best hope.

Randy

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

In Canada

I found the cheapest place was my dealer, and my recent search for a ECU , my Canadian dealer was $400 lower than Partzilla, and that didn't include shipping and duty costs. I replaced my left fairing when the signal light punched through, same thing my dealer in Delhi Ontario was the cheapest, rode the bike there and strapped it to the seat.You find something on Ebay, add the shipping cost and expect the bike was in a crash, how much do you think you are going to save/

What I did is I took fiberglass cloth and JB plastic weld, mixed up a batch and also roughened the inside area of the fairing, worked the JB weld into the glass and rolled it on the inside using a wall paper roller and the plastic wrap you put over your left over food dishes, important to get all the air out and get it as dense as possible, believe it or not, it is still on the bike, new left side in the cardboard box. First thing I did was remove the metal T piece on all the signal lights. Since the fairing is black , I used the black JB weld and then got a matching black paint.
jaaklucas likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 11-06-2018 at 08:44 PM.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Title Changed/ Just Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by powelldre View Post
Hey all! I am relatively new to this site and wanted to ask for some assistance in finding replacement fairing for my 2016 Versys 650 ABS. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to post in a different forum so I'm going through this "Member Introductions" forum to ensure I get my first two posts again, and hopefully within 48 hours I'm able to post this question in a better suited forum.

I rode the Texas Hill Country 500 this weekend and took a nasty spill after one of the river crossings while going through some deep, muddy ruts (none of that was expected to be on this ride). The bike fell hard on the right side and cracked nearly all the fairing (cowling?) on the front end. Looking for any advice out there on sites/stores to find replacement parts.

Thanks!
Hope that covers it!
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

aboard!

Quote:

Thanks!
I took a pretty good spill w/ my '15 V650 LT, and 'shattered' the left pannier.

My buddy came over to help, and we epoxied it on the inside (and I had to rebuild a few 'bits' in the locking mechanism), till it looked like this:

and then I got some GORILLA TAPE which I added to the INSIDE of the pannier

and NOW it looks like this on the outside.

I'm pretty happy w/ the results.

-

jaaklucas likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everyone! I appreciate the feedback.

_________

Andre
Houston, TX
2016 Versys 650 ABS
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice everyone! I appreciate the feedback.
I got some advice for ya, don't be taking a road bike out in a dirt bike world!
dang coon ass.

Jayô
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
center, center stand, fz-07, yamaha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode