Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just completed my first 500 miles
Just passed the 500 mile mark as a n00b rider. I'm enjoying learning how to ride and definitely enjoying my '15 v650 LT. I've spent a lot of time on local farm roads and city streets. I've ventured out on the freeway a couple of times. And I've completed one night ride.
1. Love the bike! Very fun, very comfortable, very stylish, nice engineering
2. Lots to learn about riding safely - I'm going to enroll in intermediate rider safety class soon
3. Tight u-turns are very tough to perfect. Luckily I have lots of schools and churches near my house for practice
4. Clutch and brake skills are getting better and starting to feel "natural"
5. I need to reduce play in clutch and throttle cables. I'm definitely feeling some slop.
6. I'm starting to tinker with suspension settings, just to get a feel for it
7. I'm saving for a new saddle, but will try the 3d printed front saddle raise to see if that changes things at all.
I've added: crashbars, front fork sliders, center stand, gear position indicator, disc lock
Some near-term upgrades/additions:
Puig front fender extender
Gigi rear tire hugger
Hand guards (barkbuster VPS)
Rizoma Corsa front turn signals
Rear LED turn signals (depending on how fronts perform)
43 tooth rear sprocket
Upgraded LED headlight bulbs
1. I have a great mechanic near my house and am going to schedule my 30K service soon. Any tips on what to look/ask for (other than what's in the service sked)?
2. Anyone use a throttle tamer? Do they make a difference?
3. Anyone have a recommendation for a better toolkit? Better to just put together my own kit or get a pre-built one?
4. Is a skid-plate essential if I want to start hitting the occasional dirt road? What about a radiator shield?
Thanks for a fun and generous community!