Hello! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

5Likes
  • 2 Post By Shibumik
  • 1 Post By Shibumik
  • 1 Post By Arion
  • 1 Post By Shibumik

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Hello!

I own a 2017 1000LT. I do nature film production. My work lets me explore some of the most spectacular places in the world. At 56, I decided it was time to get out of the air conditioning of the car and start smelling the liberating scent of asphalt, forest and corn pollen again - just with swollen pollen-addled eyes these days! We use adventure bikes for off-road filming, but as a producer, bike time is rare albeit valued. I had a bike for about 15 years when I was younger out of necessity as opposed to pleasure. As I have aged, the pleasure became more important.

I did lots of research and could have purchased any bike. For my purposes, the Versys 1000LT ticked most of the boxes. My only complaint so far is that it can be vibey at higher speeds. That’s pretty good - only one complaint! Okay, I added an Air-Hawk to appease my butt. Great investment!

So, here I am, liberated a bit from the car, and even got caught in the rain for the first time last week. It was indeed delightful - and we were happy!
Kyle E and kawimassgirl like this.

Last edited by Shibumik; 07-29-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
By the way, we use BMW 800ís at work for offroad filming.
kawimassgirl likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 07:50 AM

Sweet so I'm hoping for a photo thread from you with pics of Versys in the wild!

I went to school for art and love taking pictures, but have never had a serious camera.

I'm on a brand new 2018 1000LT. (Lucky to be tall enough for it.)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawimassgirl View Post
Sweet so I'm hoping for a photo thread from you with pics of Versys in the wild!

I went to school for art and love taking pictures, but have never had a serious camera.

I'm on a brand new 2018 1000LT. (Lucky to be tall enough for it.)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I'll wager your Versys is a lot more fun than a serious camera!
kawimassgirl likes this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I promise, many will be forthcoming. I use mine more to get to locations, but will certainly be taking it to some stunning spots. I am curious as to how it performs a bit offroad. We prefer smaller bikes for that stuff, but for 2 track trails it should do well. In some cases, behind my bike you may find a bear chasing me. If I don’t respond to comments after posting such a picture, please call 911!

Cameras are something we certainly have. The great news is even lower end Nikons (I’m a Nikon guy) are more powerful than the highest quality cameras of a decade ago. Our high end cameras allow us to do things we never imagined 20 years ago. The dream is much more powerful and affordable than ever. Enjoy.

Last edited by Shibumik; 07-26-2018 at 11:24 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The Versys is definitely the best bike for me and what I do - and is a blast too.

The Versys is also lots cheaper, less maintenance and easier to operate than most of our cameras! Here's a video cap a few weeks ago FROM the Versys 1000 on location in California for a BBC project we're working on. The horizon is off (it's a quick take from our editor ingestion just now), but the rest is level!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cali001.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	156911  

Last edited by Shibumik; 07-26-2018 at 11:27 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Great Choice on the V-1K

I'm just a point & shoot kinda guy.

P1010685 by weljo2001, on Flickr

P1010605 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Ortega Hwy Run by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Nothing wrong with that! Beautiful shots!

Last edited by Shibumik; 07-26-2018 at 11:28 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

The V1000 MIGHT be a bit "much" off-road, but I have ridden my V650s MANY miles on dirt roads.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I am actually sort of excited to play with a 650. Saw a YouTube video where guys took 650ís from Malaysia or Indonesia to London. I think these bikes are significantly underrated. I am so impressed with mine. I like my bike and trust it. That being said, I am 6í3Ē and the 1k has done surprisingly well on the off roads I have travelled. Nothing serious though.

Are those pics taken in the North West Territories? Cool to see all the pics from you and Weljo2001. I canít wait to start riding to more locations. I am an avid fly fisherman. Will be trying bike camping/fly fishing this fall.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you Onewizard!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumik View Post
I am actually sort of excited to play with a 650. Saw a YouTube video where guys took 650ís from Malaysia or Indonesia to London. I think these bikes are significantly underrated....
Check out this video:

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...tes-fails.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumik View Post
...Are those pics taken in the North West Territories?....
Yes. They are 'part' of a ride I did up there in '15, written-up here:

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...2d-2015-a.html

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Informative video. Thanks! We have been using BMW 800’s for years now. They are great at nothing, but good at everything. Never too much drama, but the guys always want a bit more zip, which is a bridge too far for many bikes in this class.

I am not sure what we will do as it’s time to start replacing the BMW’s. We will take a look at the 650 and maybe buy one to abuse. We have 12 cinematographers who rely heavily on these things. Unlike most, we use these things for work and not so much for play - although fun is certainly a welcome component. As you might expect, they have strong albeit well informed opinions on all things bike. I am interested in their thoughts. As you might expect, depedability and predictability sit at the top of our lists. Not as sexy as zip, but very sexy when you’re 400 miles from the nearest Starbucks and are watching a grizzly bear licking his or her lips and polishing silverware.

Your trip looks awesome! Never knew about the Highway of Tears. Sad. A reminder of just how vulnerable all of us are in a world that’s lost it’s sense of shame. The ADV Harley was awesome! I will read through more of it. Thanks for documenting that. I will be exploring more when I have a few moments.

Have a great day!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Heres a guy I'm subbed to on YouTube. He has a Versys 1000 but this trip he took his FJR. He's in Yellowstone National Park and the Grand Tetons.....This is a trip i must take...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That area is amazing. Last year we were filming outside of Red Lodge, MT, Cody, WY and Yellowstone areas. What amazing diversity and history. For bikes, it is truly amazing - especially the beartooth mountain pass from Red Lodge to Yellowstone. Nothing not to love about that. The Crow reservation was sadly sobering. I can’t imagine my culture being on the brink of existence.

On the road, you see the good and the bad. That’s the magic of experiencing the world from a bike. It’s delightfully unfiltered. Enlightenment is always worth it. It brings clarity. It makes you feel. I get it now.
weljo2001 likes this.

Last edited by Shibumik; 07-29-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode