I left the world of Harley-Davidson - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

18Likes
  • 10 Post By PeterQuill
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By kawimassgirl
  • 2 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By tommyvous59
  • 1 Post By crosshairs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I left the world of Harley-Davidson

Hello Everyone,

So after about a decade of riding Harley-Davidsons, I finally said enough is enough. I honestly had become fed up with having to constantly fix or address some issue, and I wasn't riding nearly as much as I was wrenching. I probably got a couple used lemons during that time, but either way, it was a time for a change.

So I went on down to the local dealer and after a good weekend of testing bikes, I ended up going home with a 2017 Versus 1000 LT.

All I have to say is wow; the center of gravity on the motorcycle is completely different than want I am used to (which is a good thing in this case). Despite its size, the machine is very nimble.

Second, it a nice piece of mind knowing that I have ABS and traction control. While I have never owned a motorcycle with them before, there is a sense of confidence knowing that you have a little something extra to help in case of an emergency.

While I am getting used to a different style of riding, I am enjoying every mile of it ! I am now realizing that this is the type of motorcycle I should have been riding all along, as it fits my needs across the board (built in locking luggage for commuting, adjustable windshield and suspension, and, of course, abs and traction control).

I am looking forward to learning more about these machines from the forums.
Cheers!

2017 V1k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Good choice of bikes. Love my V-1000...I'm in SoCal

P1020257 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
So, you are comparing old Harley's (no ABS) with a new kawasaki. I wouldn't touch a Harley until I test rode a Rushmore Harley. If you haven't tried one with the new M8 engine, you owe it to yourself to test ride one.

My '18 Road Glide Special is so much more bike than the Japanese touring bikes I have owned. But, I guess you felt you had to say that to be accepted by the anti-harley crowd.

Enjoy your new Kawasaki.
crosshairs likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
So, you are comparing old Harley's (no ABS) with a new kawasaki. I wouldn't touch a Harley until I test rode a Rushmore Harley. If you haven't tried one with the new M8 engine, you owe it to yourself to test ride one.

My '18 Road Glide Special is so much more bike than the Japanese touring bikes I have owned. But, I guess you felt you had to say that to be accepted by the anti-harley crowd.

Enjoy your new Kawasaki.
Actually I was comparing my last Harley, a 2016 FXDB, to a 2017 Kawasaki Versys.
I have test road the new M8s and I agree that they are the smoothest running vtwin Harley has made, but the new ones are out of my budget.
I genuinely like HD and would own another in the future. In a dream world, I would own both.

2017 V1k
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 05:55 AM

as an owner of both bikes, i really enjoy riding when i ride either or. the HD is smooth ride for long hwy runs, the versys 1000 is a great hwy bike that also allows me to do some dirt road riding
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 07:54 AM

I sold my cruiser for my new 1000LT. I was on a Yamaha V Star 950. I loved that bike, but had still been longing for an adventure bike.

Wish I could own three bikes on day. My current Versys 1000LT, a cruiser, and a small dual sport. ... One day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Shibumik likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The only Harley I ever owned was a '57 flathead sportster and what a pile of c**p it was. But back in the day, that's all I could afford. Technology hasn't improved too very much since, comparatively speaking.

Have a friend who finally traded his Harley for something built for the 21st century. He called it his $100 motorcycle because every time he rode it, it cost him $100 (at least) to fix whatever it was that broke or stopped working. One lives and learns.

Harley fans say that H-D doesn't sell motorcycles, they sell a lifestyle. Reminds me of the old Smothers Brothers song line that says, "I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy, so get yourself an outfit and be a cowboy too."

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 01:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
The only Harley I ever owned was a '57 flathead sportster and what a pile of c**p it was. But back in the day, that's all I could afford. Technology hasn't improved too very much since, comparatively speaking.

Have a friend who finally traded his Harley for something built for the 21st century. He called it his $100 motorcycle because every time he rode it, it cost him $100 (at least) to fix whatever it was that broke or stopped working. One lives and learns.

Harley fans say that H-D doesn't sell motorcycles, they sell a lifestyle. Reminds me of the old Smothers Brothers song line that says, "I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy, so get yourself an outfit and be a cowboy too." [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/KawasakiVersysForum_2015/smilies/tango_face_angel.png[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/KawasakiVersysForum_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/KawasakiVersysForum_2015/smilies/tango_face_angel.png[/IMG]
Harley fans don't say that. The CEO said that in an interview.

I agree that Harley wasn't worth owning for me until recently, but I always like the style. My cruisers were an '85 Honda Shadow 700, then a long list of other style bikes, then got back into cruisers with the '07 Vulcan Meanstreak, followed by the '10 Vulcan Voyager 1700, an '09 Nomad as a flip bike, and then a Harley Rushmore.

If I compared my experience with my first bikes to today, I would never own Yamaha or Suzuki. Just about every model of bike from every manufacturer has some known issues.

I do base my Dad's experience with Chrysler as to why I can't bring myself to buy one.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
...But, I guess you felt you had to say that to be accepted by the anti-harley crowd....
I (for one) am NOT anti-Harley - I'm anti-cruisers, as I just don't get the "leaning back, legs outstretched, half-helmet [ESPECIALLY when they look like a WW2 German army helmet!], fingerless-gloves" lifestyle.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 03:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
<a href="http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/images/smilies/welcomesign.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Welcome Sign" >:-)</a> aboard!

Quote:
...But, I guess you felt you had to say that to be accepted by the anti-harley crowd....
I (for one) am NOT anti-Harley - I'm anti-cruisers, as I just don't get the "leaning back, legs outstretched, half-helmet [ESPECIALLY when they look like a WW2 German army helmet!], fingerless-gloves" lifestyle.
I don't get the lifestyle thing either, but I like the riding position. So do many non-cruiser riders who put highway pegs on their bikes.

I don't understand the BMW lifestyle, or the RUB lifestyle, or the cafe lifestyle, or the stunter lifestyle, or the if you don't ride the same genre as me I'm going to ignore you lifestyle.

I like motorcycles. I like all motorcycles. I want to experience all motorcycles. Some I can't ride because my body won't allow me, but I like having all the experiences.
Skypilot 69 and Devilsfan like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
aboard!

i don't understand the lifestyle thing either. that aside, i could never ride any cruiser due to the seat and leg position. i wouldn't last 10 miles, due to back issues. love the ergonomics and functionality of the versys and similar bikes.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 07:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvous59 View Post
Quote:
<a href="http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/images/smilies/welcomesign.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Welcome Sign" >:-)</a> aboard!

i don't understand the lifestyle thing either. that aside, i could never ride any cruiser due to the seat and leg position. i wouldn't last 10 miles, due to back issues. love the ergonomics and functionality of the versys and similar bikes.
My back issues make the cruiser more comfortable than the sporting position that my '11 versys and FZ07 had.

Of course I had to put Ohlins suspension on my cruiser touring bike. The upright sitting at the formal dining table position is all I can tolerate.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 07:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
But, I guess you felt you had to say that to be accepted by the anti-harley crowd.

I know a few anti Harley folks...funny thing is , none of them have ever owned a Harley...they just regurgitate what they hear ....they are like sheep....

I've owned 3 Harley's in the last 10 years and loved everyone of them....still own one and love it as much as I do my Versys...its a different bike for a different purpose...
twowheeladdict likes this.

2016 green V1K

Last edited by crosshairs; 08-02-2018 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 06:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosshairs View Post
I know a few anti Harley folks...funny thing is , none of them have ever owned a Harley...they just regurgitate when they hear ....they are like sheep....

I've owned 3 Harley's in the last 10 years and loved everyone of them....still own one and love it as much as I do my Versys...its a different bike for a different purpose...
That is what I see all the time as well. Some of my riding friends don't understand why I would have a cruiser of any kind in my stable because I really can ride. They think cruisers are only for people who don't know how to ride.
crosshairs likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 05:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
That is what I see all the time as well. Some of my riding friends don't understand why I would have a cruiser of any kind in my stable because I really can ride. They think cruisers are only for people who don't know how to ride.

It's amazing how many motorcycle enthusiasts are only enthusiastic about 1 kind of bike.
Among other things, the Harley is the perfect bike for me and the woman to take an after dinner ride ....we tool around for a bit them stop and get some ice cream......

2016 green V1K
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 07:02 AM

Garage
Mine is for taking rides to places like Silverton, CO via the Million Dollar Highway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180731_114539_1533297673227.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	157121   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180731_104315_1533297886879.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	157123  
crosshairs likes this.

My Versys Travels:

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 08-03-2018 at 07:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode