New Member Hello - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

4Likes
  • 3 Post By sgkramer
  • 1 Post By Devilsfan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Member Hello

Hello Everyone,

New forum member and new motorcyclist at 58 years old. I take delivery of my brand new 2018 Versys 650 LT this Friday. Long road to get to this point. I rode my friendís Suzuki 90 just a couple of times back in the 70ís, and considered riding many times throughout my working life, but I never felt the time was right. I retired here in New Jersey (USA) two years ago, took the MSF Basic Rider Course right then, and got my motorcycle endorsement, but still wasnít ready.

After the Eagles won the Super Bowl (Go Birds!), I started working out, lost a bunch of weight, and got very excited about scratching this damn motorcycle itch Iíve had for most of my life. I ordered the bike, retook the BRC again this past weekend, and canít wait to continue my riding education.

Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 05:13 PM

Welcome and congrats

Two thumbs up to you. fulfill your dreams. scratch that itch. I here so many people say "I wish I had done this or done that" You can instead tell your grandkids what you did when you were 58
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Sam aboard! - and you're going about it the right way!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Omce you have the "motorcycle blood" running through your veins it's hard to avoid it! Congrats on your new Versys!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

I would like my first modification to be the SW-Motech center stand. From what I found on webbikeworld.com, there is no cutting of the original Versys's plastic, even though the SW-Motech instructions call for that. Anyone have any experience with it? Also, the kit for the 2015 Versys should work for the 2018 Versys, right?

Thanks,
Sam
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgkramer View Post
I would like my first modification to be the SW-Motech center stand. From what I found on webbikeworld.com, there is no cutting of the original Versys's plastic, even though the SW-Motech instructions call for that. Anyone have any experience with it? Also, the kit for the 2015 Versys should work for the 2018 Versys, right?

Thanks,
Sam

Take a look at the Hepco & Becker center stand. I bought one a few months ago and it's great! I read/heard issues of some of these center stands hitting the chain or you have to put the side stand down before the center stand can go down, etc... So, I went with the H & B, it was easy to install (you only have to remove the small covers at the bottom of the bike, very simple) and the stand does NOT hit the chain and you don't have to put the side stand down first.
Sandy Wright likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I will look at the H&B!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome aboard. Great that you've come to the place where scratching that itch makes sense. We only get one trip from beginning to end so it's perfectly logical - to me anyway - to do what you can when you can so you don't end up on your death bed saying, "I wish, I should have, why didn't I?" I'd like my only regret to be, "Expletive, I wish I could have ridden just one more time."

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 10:48 AM

Welcome Sam! North Jersey of South Jersey? When I can get around to it, I've got to get a center stand too. Growing up, all my street bikes had 'em, and its ...inconvenient...to do anything routine (from checking oil to cleaning/lubing the chain) or more with only a side stand. Looking forward to hearing how the 650 works out for you!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 04:02 PM

Garage

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgkramer View Post
Hello Everyone,

New forum member and new motorcyclist at 58 years old. I take delivery of my brand new 2018 Versys 650 LT this Friday. Long road to get to this point. I rode my friend’s Suzuki 90 just a couple of times back in the 70’s, and considered riding many times throughout my working life, but I never felt the time was right. I retired here in New Jersey (USA) two years ago, took the MSF Basic Rider Course right then, and got my motorcycle endorsement, but still wasn’t ready.

After the Eagles won the Super Bowl (Go Birds!), I started working out, lost a bunch of weight, and got very excited about scratching this damn motorcycle itch I’ve had for most of my life. I ordered the bike, retook the BRC again this past weekend, and can’t wait to continue my riding education.

Sam
Welcome! Now comes the accessorizing

As a new owner and rider you may wish to install engine/tip over bars on the bike. They will save you a lot of grief and prevented damage to the bike and pay for themselves the first time the bike gets tired and wants to lay down on it's side. They can also provide some protection to your lower leg in the event of a crash. A relatively easy DIY install, see below for notes on pit stand which is required.

Also recommended is a cheap set of 8mm swing arm spools (your swing arm is already threaded for these) as well as a spool lift stand so you can more easily clean your bike and do chain maintenance tasks as well as remove your rear wheel for tire replacements.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-26-2018 at 06:55 PM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Iím from Florence, in Burlington County. I grew up calling this South Jersey, but some call it Central. I still have a 609 area code!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

I never heard of tip over bars o swing arm spools, but I just Googled them and they sound like smart things to do. I guess I will start a slush fund for my bike and hide it from the Ball & Chain!

Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode