Contemplating a Versys 650LT - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Contemplating a Versys 650LT

I know asking this question here is like the church choir if Jesus is good for you.... but here goes:

Is the Versys 650LT the right bike for me?

I've been riding close to year. I have a 2016 CB500f and a 1998 DR350. I got the DR350 a few months ago to learn trail riding -- I don't like dirt riding. Don't mind regular fire roads, but once rocks and ruts are introduced, I'd just rather hike that trail.

Here's what I want to do:
Load up some gear & clothes, head out and do some basic motocamping. I live 1.5 mile from my work, so the bike wouldn't be a daily communter. But I am in So Cal -- Mt Baldy Road is 10 minutes from my house. The start to HWY 39 & HWY 18 are both within 30 minutes from me. So I want something I can take up mountain roads.

My dream bike has always been the BMWf800gs. I have few motorcycle buddies that say just get a VStrom. However, the Vstrom feels like a tank. The ergonomics don't match my body. My friend said I could just get a new seat and handlebar, and move the pegs, etc to make the Vstrom fit me better. But I'm like why not go with the Versys that feels so comfortable right off the lot? (FYI -- female, 5'7"). My friend said the Versys doesn't have enough power. But I'm 145 lbs.... I'm thinking he is thinking from his perspective of being 200 lbs. I suspect me and all my gear will be less weight than him and his helmet.

YES -- I have read the thread about "Should I buy a Versys?" on the 650 forum.

Thank you for any advise!

Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
650 abs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Wright View Post
I know asking this question here is like the church choir if Jesus is good for you.... but here goes:

Is the Versys 650LT the right bike for me?

I've been riding close to year. I have a 2016 CB500f and a 1998 DR350. I got the DR350 a few months ago to learn trail riding -- I don't like dirt riding. Don't mind regular fire roads, but once rocks and ruts are introduced, I'd just rather hike that trail.

Here's what I want to do:
Load up some gear & clothes, head out and do some basic motocamping. I live 1.5 mile from my work, so the bike wouldn't be a daily communter. But I am in So Cal -- Mt Baldy Road is 10 minutes from my house. The start to HWY 39 & HWY 18 are both within 30 minutes from me. So I want something I can take up mountain roads.

I am a 68 year old male that had a DRZ400s, too many times a close call with the bike on top of me, by myself, I have a 30 inch in seam , same height as you, keep in mind this is a heavy bike, many have knobbies on the bike, I don't and hard packed gravel is the closest I come to off road. This bike excels in the paved twisties, just a blast to ride, I have Pilot road 4s on the rear and the original 2015 650 ABS Dunlop on the front, which will be replaced this winter with a road 5.

Quote:
My dream bike has always been the BMWf800gs. I have few motorcycle buddies that say just get a VStrom. However, the Vstrom feels like a tank. The ergonomics don't match my body. My friend said I could just get a new seat and handlebar, and move the pegs, etc to make the Vstrom fit me better. But I'm like why not go with the Versys that feels so comfortable right off the lot? (FYI -- female, 5'7"). My friend said the Versys doesn't have enough power.
I beg to differ on the power, my combined weight with gear and all my luggage is around 250 LBS, with another rider I have no problem doing 80 MPH all day, so I question just how much knowledge your friend has, the 2015 is 68 HP, many get up to 75 MPG , Fast-Edie just posted that on his last ride.

Quote:
But I'm 145 lbs.... I'm thinking he is thinking from his perspective of being 200 lbs. I suspect me and all my gear will be less weight than him and his helmet.

YES -- I have read the thread about "Should I buy a Versys?" on the 650 forum.

Thank you for any advise!

Sandy
Again expect to hear from Weljo , anyone suggesting it lacks power needs to understand you run this bike around 6500 to 8000 RPM all day, I prefer riding without a passenger , but I see no reason this shouldn't work for you, you will need to lower it . Lots of help on this forum. Make sure you post a second time to get full membership.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick feedback!
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post

I am a 68 year old male that had a DRZ400s, too many times a close call with the bike on top of me, by myself, I have a 30 inch in seam , same height as you, keep in mind this is a heavy bike, many have knobbies on the bike, I don't and hard packed gravel is the closest I come to off road. This bike excels in the paved twisties, just a blast to ride, I have Pilot road 4s on the rear and the original 2015 650 ABS Dunlop on the front, which will be replaced this winter with a road 5.

I beg to differ on the power, my combined weight with gear and all my luggage is around 250 LBS, with another rider I have no problem doing 80 MPH all day, so I question just how much knowledge your friend has, the 2015 is 68 HP, many get up to 75 MPG , Fast-Edie just posted that on his last ride.

Again expect to hear from Weljo , anyone suggesting it lacks power needs to understand you run this bike around 6500 to 8000 RPM all day, I prefer riding without a passenger , but I see no reason this shouldn't work for you, you will need to lower it . Lots of help on this forum. Make sure you post a second time to get full membership.
agree with one wizard. if the ergonomics fit you, it's a great bike. too tall? speedy in san diego has a great lowering kit that i use. leaning forward too much? speedy also has handle bar risers. ample power ... i can blow by 18 wheelers at 85 mph in west texas, no problemo, WITH FULL GEAR, on my 10 year old 2008 V. lotta fun to ride. it the best bike i know of to configure to your needs ..... very versatile. great in the city, more than ample for long distance hwy touring, even some dirt if you change tire tread. affordable. lots of farkles available. very good gas mileage.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvous59 View Post
agree with one wizard. if the ergonomics fit you, it's a great bike. too tall? speedy in san diego has a great lowering kit that i use. leaning forward too much? speedy also has handle bar risers. ample power ... i can blow by 18 wheelers at 85 mph in west texas, no problemo, WITH FULL GEAR, on my 10 year old 2008 V. lotta fun to ride. it the best bike i know of to configure to your needs ..... very versatile. great in the city, more than ample for long distance hwy touring, even some dirt if you change tire tread. affordable. lots of farkles available. very good gas mileage.
In the showroom, I am easily on the balls of my feet. I have a 33" inseam. If I lower it, I would be completed flat footed. It's not as high as my DR350.

As for the common complaint about the seat angel squishing certain male body parts, wouldn't that be a side-benefit for a female rider? LOL
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
...Is the Versys 650LT the right bike for me?

My friend said the Versys doesn't have enough power. But I'm 145 lbs.... I'm thinking he is thinking from his perspective of being 200 lbs. I suspect me and all my gear will be less weight than him and his helmet....
Joe Wells is a long-time member, NOW on a V1000, but he spent YEARS riding an '09 V650. He weighs 315# (I assume - soaking wet), PLUS gear.

Quote:
In the showroom, I am easily on the balls of my feet. I have a 33" inseam. If I lower it, I would be completed flat footed. It's not as high as my DR350.

As for the common complaint about the seat angel squishing certain male body parts, wouldn't that be a side-benefit for a female rider? LOL
Sandy - once you "set your sag", as you settle onto the bike - you WILL flat-foot it. I have a 31" inseam, and w/ my sag set I flat-foot it.

You would probably still be well-served to raise the front of your seat - it'll take weight off your wrists while riding.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:

i have a 30" inseam and with the lowering kit/sag adjusted, boots, i flat foot. the seat is roomy enough that i have ball room as well !!! lol
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
:

You would probably still be well-served to raise the front of your seat - it'll take weight off your wrists while riding.

Gotcha
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Gotcha
and help with the propensity to slide forward.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 03:49 PM

He said, she said, they said. The best way to find out if this is the bike for you is to find a dealer that will let you take a test ride. Not around the block, but a good long test ride. I love my versys. Your friend said the versys doesn't have enough power? If you are racing against a Hayabusa he is right. I find the versys has punch, takes curves as if it were on rails, and puts a huge smile on my face (actually sometimes I catch myself giggling out load like a little girl when aggressively attacking curves). here is a link for you.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The V-650 hauled my fat ass from Texas to California one summer when i was a trim 275lbs. The bike was loaded down and i have full gear on. Rode 80-95mph most of the time the bike loves that area to run ( I had a 16T front sprocket on ) Did 850 miles the first day and 550 the next.Then most of the time in Cali i was right at 300lbs riding city,freeway and mountains with no issues and then also 2-up with my girlfriend that weighed about 110-120 again no issues....

IMG_0135 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 03:55 PM

Garage

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Okie dokie --

I know I said "contemplating", but I've been looking at the Versys for months.

And.....

I am now the proud owner of 2018 Versys LT -- white trim. Dealer is prepping it now.

I'll make my second introductory post with its pictures this evening.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 04:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Okie dokie --

I know I said "contemplating", but I've been looking at the Versys for months.

And.....

I am now the proud owner of 2018 Versys LT -- white trim. Dealer is prepping it now.

I'll make my second introductory post with its pictures this evening.

What part of SoCal. I'm in Norwalk/Cerritos real close to long beach.....

P1010612 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 04:46 PM

Garage
Might see something you need here....https://motowerk.com/collections/kawasaki-versys-v650lt

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Rancho Cucamonga

Right at the 210 & 15.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 06:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Rancho Cucamonga

Right at the 210 & 15.

Okay..My girlfriend works in Rancho Cucamonga.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Got It!

Took delivery of a new Versys 650 LT this afternoon. What a fun ride home!! I have been riding a CB500f. First thing I noticed is that I'll have to learn new shifting patterns. This bike seems to love the higher RPMs. Looking forward to many miles on this beauty!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180714_165441_1531613404349.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	156489  
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 07:50 PM

Garage
Congratulations, enjoy
Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode