Just bought a Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By tommyvous59

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just bought a Versys

I brought home a 2008 650 Versys today, 28000 kmís, I am now the 3rd owner. Havenít got an owners manual, so not sure what needs to be done, owner said something about valve service coming due. He seemed a bit neglectful of chain maintenance which is now done, tire pressure was off, I reverted to 36 front 42 rear. Bike has not been run since October of 2017, which may explain why it started to stutter and miss a bit on my ride home, I figured it might be bad gas so I filled it with mid grade which seemed to solve the issue but I will put some methyl hydrate in the tank for water.

It seems to be a nice responsive machine, any tips or hints of things I need to keep an eye on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Congrats on getting a Versys! They're awesome machines.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 08:53 AM

Garage

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT01 View Post
I brought home a 2008 650 Versys today, 28000 kmís, I am now the 3rd owner. Havenít got an owners manual, so not sure what needs to be done, owner said something about valve service coming due. He seemed a bit neglectful of chain maintenance which is now done, tire pressure was off, I reverted to 36 front 42 rear. Bike has not been run since October of 2017, which may explain why it started to stutter and miss a bit on my ride home, I figured it might be bad gas so I filled it with mid grade which seemed to solve the issue but I will put some methyl hydrate in the tank for water.

It seems to be a nice responsive machine, any tips or hints of things I need to keep an eye on?
catch up on routine maintenance. document. wouldn't assume anything, except that it was neglected. safety check, tighten fasteners, change oil, check fluid levels, clean and check the chain closely, the master link rivets, adjust the chain tension and lube. dump the gas and fill'er with fresh. check tire condition/cotter pin/grease axles/tire balance, check the shock dampers between rear wheel and hub/sprocket for damage. adjust clutch, lube cables. check and clean airbox/air filter, examine spark plugs. check forks/rear shock settings/leaks. check for triple tree looseness/play. then consider farkles to improve your ergonomics. on my 2008, you check valve clearances every 15,000 miles, so do that ASAP. btw, i never take off the gas tank when working the top of the engine. you have enough gas line to gently pivot the tank around the back pole where the hoses connect, and place the front end of the tank on a well placed utility table next to the bike..... at that time inspect the gas lines. you might be surprised what you find when you do the work above, for good or bad. good luck. hope you got a gem. versys is a great bike.
Skypilot 69 likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode