Sad, my docs told me I can't ride and I have a like new Versys 650LT - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Angry Sad, my docs told me I can't ride and I have a like new Versys 650LT

Greetings my fellow Versys fans,

This is my first post, I've been lurking for over a year sponging in the incredibly useful information consistently posted on this site, this group is the best.

The reason I'm sad is that I recently had a bad grand mal seizure (my first at the ripe age of 51), which put me in the hospital for a while since I stopped breathing for a bit. The docs couldn't find the cause, so couldn't prescribe meds.

Long story short, as condition of my discharge I cannot ride my beloved orange Versys 650LT for a while, if ever. So it's with regret that I need to find a loving owner. The bike is showroom condition and only has 416 miles! KBB doesn't even cover such a scenario. I was planning a cross country trip before this all went to hell, but at least I'm healthier now, life happens.

I wanted to ask this group where you suggest I post such a bike for sale? I still need another post to get out of newbie stage and go to classifieds here, but wondering if cycletrader, ebay motors, craigs list etc. are good ways to go? I contacted several kawi dealers and of course they offered me $4k, which is a shame for a bike that was $10k with accessories not long and not many miles ago. I also have about $1500 in high end apparel (Rukka Jacket, Arai and Biltwell Helmets, TCX boots etc) that haven't been used, but think ebay my best bet there.

I'm under the weather still and don't want to spend my time with scamsters that reside in the latter of those places. I'm thinking cutting any asking price in this forum would at least guarantee a passionate owner and give back? THe pictures I'm uploading suck, but will give a general idea of the bike. I'm in Miami. Any advice appreciated. -

Best,
Meesh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RIGHT.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	156357   Click image for larger version

Name:	LEFT.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	156359   Click image for larger version

Name:	FRONT.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	156361  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 07:49 PM

Garage
Very sorry to hear about your situation. Being 71,it's probably not too long before I get a similar message. Your bike is beautiful. I hope you will be able to get a fair price for it. But I doubt that you will near what you have in it.
Best of luck
Randy
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Getting old sucks for sure...........I'm probably not going to be able to ride for many more years (balance problems).

I'd try advertising locally (Craigslist, newspaper, and any local FB ads). It might be almost new but in reality is is a used bike. Use NADA Guides and figure out what it's worth. That should be your starting point.

Good luck with the sale and the recovery.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry to hear that.

I've bought and sold about a dozen bikes, Craigslist has worked the best for me.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about your condition. Me, I'd wait it out or keep seeing doctors that tell me what I want to hear!

Seriously, I hope you get better and do get a good bill of health down the road. In the meantime, I used CycleTrader. They let you have 4 pics for a free posting. Additional pics will cost you but one of my bikes sold in 4 days on there. It sat on CL for a month and only one call.

Good luck!
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

]https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ber-intro.html This forum would be a excellent place to post, however you need to update your user profile, receive email notifications when PM received must be checked
Many Have commented on this thread, nowadays you need to be your own health advocate, many Doctors want to prescribe medications rather than finding the root cause, I know as it took 20 years to find out I had a thyroid problem, which mimics many illnesses including diabetes . I got lucky and got a professional endocrinologists, never looked back, only regret is I should have been more proactive and demanded to see someone else, which is what really happened , went off all medications and demanded better, threatened to find a new doctor, pretty bad, as today it is like 150 years ago, snake oil salesman, one elixir cures everything, only $1000 per bottle
Skypilot 69 likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 07-12-2018 at 08:32 PM.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
aboard, and !

(Look for a PM from me.)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Welcome aboard! I'm sorry for your health issues.

If the doc thinks there's a decent chance you'll be able to ride again within a year then I'd just put the bike away into storage. Disconnect the battery, put a cover/tarp over it, and wait it out.

Around here there's a website that has much more utility than Craigslist run by a local tv station. Everybody local uses it to buy/sell everything including vehicles. Perhaps there is something like that in Miami.

If you decide to sell, I'd hold out for a really good price. On the dealer's showroom floor you could easily find a bike with that many miles selling for a nearly-new price after having been used as a demo. The only difference with your bike is you have loved it rather than beaten it like many test riders would with the showroom demo bike!

Helmets may be difficult to sell, idk. I personally wouldn't buy a used helmet because I don't know if it has been impacted. And, you may get to ride again perhaps as a passenger even.

Are you able to drive a car? I have a relative with a lifelong seizure disorder who is prohibited from operating any motor vehicle at all. For you a one-off seizure with nothing found with a brain scan will hopefully just be a short term issue.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 04:25 PM

Garage
Get another opinion.

Chuck Henderson (US Army Active Duty RET) (Colorado) STOC# 086,
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR)
17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 V1000LTSE (Flying Nun)
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 08:20 PM

Craigslist and Ebay will have their share of scams. I have no idea about cycletrader at all. With Craigslist, its almost always local people meeting up. When in doubt, find somewhere like a fire station or police station where you can set up the meet across the street or maybe even in the parking lot.

You might have good luck with the accessories here or on other forums if they are list individually and you are willing to ship.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 10:20 AM

Garage
Have bought and sold many bikes using craigslist. Never a problem. Let common sense prevail. Cash in hand.

51 is not old. Still plenty of time to find the cause and cure.

Luck.
onewizard likes this.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 12:00 PM

I'd advertise it everywhere you can think of. Wherever you end up selling it, here's some advice you probably already know.
Scams. Let's say you sell it for $9,000. If someone says they have some kind of check that's written for $11,000. he'll send you the check, you send him the title and you send him the extra $2000. Then, in two weeks your bank says the check was a fraud, and you're out your bike and two grand.
Another is someone sends you a cashiers check for your asking price. Two weeks later you find out the check is bad.
People can make very realistic cashier checks. If you accept it, tell him you'll give him the bike and title only after the check clears your bank.
Here's another. A guy has $9,000. in $100 dollar bills that reek of some fine O.G. Kush. Get one of those pens that prove money isn't counterfeit.
And always ask for some sort of payment in hand, and if required, a valid class M endorsement, (Calif).
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meesh View Post
Greetings my fellow Versys fans,

This is my first post, I've been lurking for over a year sponging in the incredibly useful information consistently posted on this site, this group is the best.

The reason I'm sad is that I recently had a bad grand mal seizure (my first at the ripe age of 51), which put me in the hospital for a while since I stopped breathing for a bit. The docs couldn't find the cause, so couldn't prescribe meds.

Long story short, as condition of my discharge I cannot ride my beloved orange Versys 650LT for a while, if ever. So it's with regret that I need to find a loving owner. The bike is showroom condition and only has 416 miles! KBB doesn't even cover such a scenario. I was planning a cross country trip before this all went to hell, but at least I'm healthier now, life happens.

I wanted to ask this group where you suggest I post such a bike for sale? I still need another post to get out of newbie stage and go to classifieds here, but wondering if cycletrader, ebay motors, craigs list etc. are good ways to go? I contacted several kawi dealers and of course they offered me $4k, which is a shame for a bike that was $10k with accessories not long and not many miles ago. I also have about $1500 in high end apparel (Rukka Jacket, Arai and Biltwell Helmets, TCX boots etc) that haven't been used, but think ebay my best bet there.

I'm under the weather still and don't want to spend my time with scamsters that reside in the latter of those places. I'm thinking cutting any asking price in this forum would at least guarantee a passionate owner and give back? THe pictures I'm uploading suck, but will give a general idea of the bike. I'm in Miami. Any advice appreciated. -

Best,
Meesh
meesh, i understand your dilemma. we all face more and more health issues as we age that can impact our riding. true seizures are a big one .... no riding, no driving, etc. but 51yo? that's still young in my book. at the risk of someone getting pissed at me, i'm going to comment .... but no matter what i may say, you MUST follow the strict instructions of your doctors/medical team. my commentary is just that, and i hope it may give you ideas that you might further discuss with your doctors. short of having an EEG done at just the right time, seizures are very HISTORICAL. we rely heavily on patient testimony and people who witnessed the event.
when a person has a "seizure", aside from a history, it needs to be thoroughly worked up for a cause. when no cause is found, it's called idiopathic epilepsy, with usual onset in children and adolescents. "new onset seizures" in adulthood require that the neurologist look for a number of primary causes to explain them, as new seizures in an adult are not generally considered normal. they need to be medically documented with an EEG if at all possible (proving it's a seizure) and head scans and broad lab are required to look for causes. there are MANY CAUSES of true seizures, with differences in treatment and prognosis/restrictions. on the other hand, false/pseudo seizures are far more prevalent, and confusion in the diagnosis of true vs pseudo seizures is rampant in the medical world. it's usually a hard diagnosis to make, except in the most clear cut cases. it indeed would be a shame if you had to stop riding over an erroneous seizure diagnosis. many things appear to be seizures to the lay public but are not. (btw, some of these non seizure causes are just as dangerous to you and other riders as seizures themselves !!)
NOW, don't run out to your garage and go riding !!! until a person has been completely ruled out for seizures by their doctor, we err on the side of extreme caution. no riding nor driving until cleared by YOUR doctor.

your current neurologist might have already pegged the diagnosis and ruled out all primary causes, as well as sent you for a second opinion. if so, you know what you're dealing with. IF NOT, i strongly suggest you find a multi doctor clinic specializing exclusively in neurology, get a complete workup, as well as several "second opinions" so that you can make the appropriate life choice regarding your riding future. you'll need to tell the neurologist IN DETAIL what happened to you and what was witnessed by others.

riding is a big part of my life, as i presume it is for everyone here. i'd hate to see anyone have to stop riding without a firm rationale for doing so. pardon any unintended offense.

btw, any opinions on a permanent "riding and aging issues" thread on the site ?
onewizard and Buffalo_Bob like this.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 05:33 PM

As far as scams, be aware that banks will "clear" the check into your account but then will come back weeks later to grab the money back if the check is fake.

I've gone to the bank with the buyer and had them withdraw the money and hand me the cash direct from the teller.

Also beware the buyer who could drive off with the bike leaving you there empty handed. Like if he arrives via Uber or the bus. There's nothing to ensure he comes back to you with the bike after his test ride. I've even heard of 2 people showing up in a car, and then the second person bolting in the car while the first takes off with the bike.

Unfortunately there are too many scams out there to be trusting.

In my town the police have a room in the police building as well as an area in their parking lot to do transactions. There is 24/7 video surveillance. I would look for something like this to do a transaction as large in value as this motorcycle. (But as I said above, I'd wait a bit to see if there is a possibility of being able to ride it again before selling it).
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Riding Aging Thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvous59 View Post
meesh, i understand your dilemma. we all face more and more health issues as we age that can impact our riding. true seizures are a big one ...
btw, any opinions on a permanent "riding and aging issues" thread on the site ?

Could you explain a bit more, I could very easily have a thread stuck with a appropriate title, considering a large part of active members on this site are aging in dog years
FYI I stuck this thread as I feel some valuable comments have been posted
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
[/B]
Could you explain a bit more, I could very easily have a thread stuck with a appropriate title, considering a large part of active members on this site are aging in dog years
FYI I stuck this thread as I feel some valuable comments have been posted
call it "riding and aging" discussion forum ? i don't know about our particular site, but in the USA (and I presume canada too), the average age of a motorcyclist is going up dramatically. it might even be averaging in the 50's. the industry is apparently having a hard time attracting new riders. conversely, the aging riders increasingly have to deal with health issues keeping them out of the saddle. me included. the forum could help discuss ways individuals could better deal with these health issues, as well as ergonomics/available gear/aides, so they can continue to enjoy riding, but also enjoy it safely. just an idea. it could be a perennially open forum. someone will always be dealing with such an issue.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Understand concept / Posting in Correct Forum

For now the difficulty with what you suggest is that many start posting in the wrong forum, even in the For Sale, this leads to time spent by us mods moving to the correct forum, even closing threads as some just don't read ( this has happened several times in the How To Forum ). I too frequent this forum because I like seeing and reading many of the posts, my time spent is free to Vertical Scope, some days I spend way too much time acting as a mod ( hours), the latest problems with login and read posts isn't helping, some days I feel like packing it in.
I will post a thread, with a poll to see if there is interest, but first I will see if there are any further discussions within this thread.Trust me it takes input from all the mods then admin needs to approve it.
A good example of a waste of a forum or forums is :

Kawasaki Versys-X 300 Dealers, Orders And Pricing 3 posts

2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 Reviews 7 posts
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
...btw, any opinions on a permanent "riding and aging issues" thread on the site ?
Before seeing the reply from onewizard, I was just going to say - start a thread called "riding and aging issues" and see where it goes. I don't see the need for this to be a complex undertaking.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
For now the difficulty with what you suggest is that many start posting in the wrong forum, even in the For Sale, this leads to time spent by us mods moving to the correct forum, even closing threads as some just don't read ( this has happened several times in the How To Forum ). I too frequent this forum because I like seeing and reading many of the posts, my time spent is free to Vertical Scope, some days I spend way too much time acting as a mod ( hours), the latest problems with login and read posts isn't helping, some days I feel like packing it in.
I will post a thread, with a poll to see if there is interest, but first I will see if there are any further discussions within this thread.Trust me it takes input from all the mods then admin needs to approve it.
A good example of a waste of a forum or forums is :

Kawasaki Versys-X 300 Dealers, Orders And Pricing 3 posts

2017+ Kawasaki Versys-X 300 Reviews 7 posts
just an idea. see if there's a demand, interest over time. it's at your and the moderators discretion and better judgement. thanks.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
the industry is apparently having a hard time attracting new riders. conversely, the aging riders increasingly have to deal with health issues keeping them out of the saddle..
My college age son had zero interest at all in learning to ride. I offered to let him have my little 250cc Virago a couple of summers ago to get his license and keep it for local transportation. I don't know of any friends of any of my kids who ride. (One of my daughters bought herself a scooter in high school and rode it through college).

Me, on the other hand, I prefer to ride than drive. And I do love to drive. But my aging damaged back is much more comfortable on the bike than in any seat. Riding is therapy for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode