New to Kawasaki Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By mrvwbug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
New to Kawasaki Versys

Hello Everyone!

After about a 30 year break from motorcycling I went out and purchased a new 2018 Versys 1000 LT. I did rent bikes here and there a few times last year but now looking forward to doing some light touring on my own Versys.

I am 6'2, 49 years young (minus some back pain and joint pain, LOL) and was happy to find a bike which fits me. I rode her home last weekend and only have 40 miles right now.

Any suggestions on proper engine break-in?
From what I read in the Kawasaki manual and from YouTube, there seems to be difference of opinion on proper engine break-in.

Kawasaki - manual states not to go above 4000 RPM for the first 100 miles or so and then start to take the RPMs a bit higher as the mileage goes up.
YouTube - mostly states to ride the bike on streets normally in every gear. Up shift\down shift but NOT to red line and not to hold on one RMP for a long time like for a example a highway ride. Do this for the first hour then allow the bike to cool off and do it again, all this to allow the piston rings to seal properly.

Rode home on streets for an hour shifting to every gear up and down taking to about 6000 RPM in all gears but the 1st.
Have not had a chance to ride since getting her home.
Thinking about taking the bike out for another hour ride and wanted to get some advice from you good folks on what approach did you take for engine break-in period.

I am very excited to be back ridding on my OWN bike again!

Thank you,
Vadim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 09:06 AM

Garage
Motorcycle break-in is just slightly less controversial than politics or religion! :-) I generally follow the manual for break in, as much so I can honestly say that to a dealer if I have any warranty work where they ask (I have not had any, so far). However, I know many people follow the other method of varying the RPMs and not going nuts on it. I haven't heard any regrets out of either of these schools of thought.

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Dealer Head Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob9876 View Post
Motorcycle break-in is just slightly less controversial than politics or religion! :-) I generally follow the manual for break in, as much so I can honestly say that to a dealer if I have any warranty work where they ask (I have not had any, so far). However, I know many people follow the other method of varying the RPMs and not going nuts on it. I haven't heard any regrets out of either of these schools of thought.
I can honestly say that my dealer head mechanic ( family owned business in Southern Ontario) and he happens to be trained by Kawasaki, told me two things, I could have used synthetic oil from the start, the other thing I was told, not to baby it, hit 8000 RPM on short blips, don't stay at a steady fixed RPM such as 4000 RPM, I was also told the time for break in was critical right from the start, waiting 1000 KM to start driving it harder would be a mistake because engine machining was much finer than years ago, so very little rough to wear away. Not sure if that explains it but there it is.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Here's what I used on THREE V650s:

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
Morgan2112 likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you All!
I read and re-read all advise given, Thank you!

Just came back from my nice evening ride. Local speed limit in Brooklyn, NY is 25mph, I kept the bike in 2 and 3 gears with varying RPMs. Once the major avenue turned into a parkway ride I then opened the bike up to 8000 rpm in 2 and 3rd gears and my exit came up really fast. This bike is an animal, LOL.
My gut feeling after reading all suggestions is to ride during break-in just like I normally would with a bit of higher RPM where I can safely do it but not more than 8000 rpm.

Will change the oil\filter once the bike hits first 100 miles, then at 600 again to get on the regular maintenance schedule.

Once again thank you!

Vadim.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Nice Choice in bikes

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you!
Looking forward to a long relationship with this bike.
:-)

Vadim
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Welcome. Don,t worry on the break in...just enjoy your ride.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Congrats on your new Versys! 30 years without riding?!?! The horror!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadim View Post
Hello Everyone!

Any suggestions on proper engine break-in?
From what I read in the Kawasaki manual and from YouTube, there seems to be difference of opinion on proper engine break-in.

Kawasaki - manual states not to go above 4000 RPM for the first 100 miles or so and then start to take the RPMs a bit higher as the mileage goes up.
YouTube - mostly states to ride the bike on streets normally in every gear. Up shift\down shift but NOT to red line and not to hold on one RMP for a long time like for a example a highway ride. Do this for the first hour then allow the bike to cool off and do it again, all this to allow the piston rings to seal properly.
Vadim

Welcome to the forum Vadim! I'm new here myself.

As for break-in, I follow the advice I've gotten from many mechanics (BMW, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda) to just ride it normally. Don't hit redline, but don't baby it either. The main thing is to NOT run for long distances at a steady rpm. Also, it's important to use engine braking to slow down. Don't coast to a stop before downshifting.
I've never had an oil burner so far... (fingers crossed!)

Don R.

2007 BMW R1200RT (sold)
2017 Kawasaki V1K
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groanup View Post
...I've never had an oil burner so far... (fingers crossed!)
Nor have I, w/ the same sort of break-in!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 08:48 PM

Welcome!

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Never had a new bike, but whoever did the break in on mine did a good job. Zero oil consumption, and I just replaced the spark plugs at 18k miles and nearly 10 years old (original plugs still) and they looked absolutely perfect, the 7.5k recommended replacement interval on plugs is definitely BS.
Morgan2112 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
engine break-in period, kawasaki versys 1000 lt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode