Has anybody made their own panniers? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Has anybody made their own panniers?

At the risk of sounding cheap I find it offensive to pay those astronomical prices for a hard panniers. With the rack even the cheapest one comes over 700 Canadian dollars (say 550 USD). So I have been looking for any type of cases, boxes, etc to use as pannier.

So far my best option seem to build it with wood. Has anybody here build their panniers or found some suitable container to use as pannier?
I know people use ammo boxes, jerrycans and pelikan cases . I don't want to use these for different reasons. I am looking for some other alternatives. If you have any ideas I appreciate if you share it.
Thanks in advance

Wish I had a donkey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
This guy makes and sell panniers for about $340.00 a set....
Devilsfan likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Joe - I am IMPRESSED after watching that video. Would you PM me a link to the fellow?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 04:12 PM

I am impressed as well. I am going to call him tonight. Anyone ever fit these on a Gen3 Versys? What racks would they fit? I like the SW Motech and H&B racks that remove from the bike in seconds. What would a guy need to mount these panniers on those racks?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Joe - I am IMPRESSED after watching that video. Would you PM me a link to the fellow?

Sorry Ed, Just saw your post....https://www.facebook.com/gosolobox/

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 07:06 PM

Garage
except for the part where he uses the scribe to mark bend lines....

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:13 PM

Boxes only, Tusk large 220.50 USD. Amazon link.

Mounting bracket for boxes to racks, Rockymountain ATV site. 39.99 USD

And then Givi pannier racks should work with the boxes and plate listed above. prices are US. The racks should be about 150-200 USD. that is pretty close to the 550 number you mentioned, but the racks are the hardest part really.

T-Rex Racing in Dallas Tx built my racks for me as a prototype, but they decided to not make a run of them to mount boxes. I.E. i got it super cheap. Good luck though. I'm happy with my Tusk boxes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode