Want a new 650 LT - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

4Likes
  • 2 Post By Stout
  • 1 Post By rudderpedals
  • 1 Post By Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Want a new 650 LT

Hello everybody,

I just joined the forum to read about the Versys since I am considering buying one. I have owned several bikes in the past, my most recent one was a Harley Davidson 1200 Custom that I sold last year. I'm done with the big heavy cruisers and want something light, nimble, and fun to just jump on and go.

The Harley was just too big and noisy for my taste and it wasn't fun commuting to work in traffic. It was heavy and hot. My commute to work is 50% open highway and 50% Philadelphia stop and go traffic. On the Harley, by the time I got to work, I was drenched in sweat from the insane heat rising up from the motor.

So I've been doing some homework, looking at "adventure sport" bikes from all the manufacturers. Kawasaki seems to have the best deal on the 650 LT -- for the price, it already comes with hard bags.

The 650 is more desirable to me over the 1000. Even though I'm accustomed to larger displacements, the 650 is smaller, lighter, and more nimble, which is precisely what I'm looking for. Even though my friends are laughing at me because, for reasons unknown, a 650CC motorcycle is a "girl's bike." But I'm secure enough in my masculinity to handle it. I'm old enough now to want things that are enjoyable for me versus something that's cool or masculine. I have nothing to prove.

I was considering a used one but I have never bought a brand new motorcycle before and Kawasaki has 12 months 0% financing so I figure why not, right?

Well, wanted to pop in and introduce myself and hopefully by the time I post again I will be the proud owner of a 2018 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT...unless someone can talk me out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Welcome from Canada

to the forum , please read;http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html
FYI , personally I would buy the 650 ABS and buy the Givi Trekker bags Givi Trekker Monokey Luggage Case Silver(pair) - 33 liters/case | 66L Total - TwistedThrottle.ca. Having said that the LT has a 2 year warranty, comes with Barkbuster type hand gaurds etc.

When I purchased my 2015 650ABS I had a $300 farkle option in the purchase, as to 2 years warranty, ask anyone on this forum just how reliable and trouble free the Versys is, within 6 months if you ride it, any possible problems will show.If you do have a problem, many are caused by the dealer, again easily corrected. A example to think about, brig something you intend to put in the side cases, see if it will fit, my latest viewing of these was the fact a service manual in a 3 ring binder wouldn't fit in the side case, he removed the binder and brought the loose pages. Also your ignition key is used to open these , best to get some spares.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 11:16 AM

Welcome! Don't look back you are going to love your Versys.
aboyandhisversys likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip on the side bags. I do want to make sure my laptop fits in there since I will be commuting to work. But I also plan on adding a rear trunk. I'm disappointed in the lack of color choices on the Versys but I do like the white so I guess it's not too bad. I was just hoping I could get it in blue.
onewizard likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Ignition Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Thanks for the tip on the side bags. I do want to make sure my laptop fits in there since I will be commuting to work. But I also plan on adding a rear trunk. I'm disappointed in the lack of color choices on the Versys but I do like the white so I guess it's not too bad. I was just hoping I could get it in blue.
There have been several posts on the soft key, no longer are the steel blank keys available , I have had several of my riding buddies complain that the need to pull the ignition key out to open the case, also that the irregular shape won't allow the fitting of the helmet worn. I have a tank bag, both my top and side cases are individual and different keys, those keys are readily accessible, without touching my ignition key, only time I need to use my ignition key is for gassing up , so less wear and tear on the key, just a FYI. Also the trekker cases can be top opened or suitcase opened, huge difference, nothing like having the bike on the side stand and the left case everything falls out when opened, absolutely 0 regret buying the Trekker cases, I had the V35 cases before on the 07, hated the left side case.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I use the stock keys for spares. I got one of these to use its fits the 2015-present Versys 650 & 1000's......https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Kawasak...item2cd0c2b733

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
...Even though my friends are laughing at me because, for reasons unknown, a 650CC motorcycle is a "girl's bike."....
Back when I started riding ('63) the Triumph Bonneville (40HP) was considered an 'experts' only bike, while today the V650 (at 63 to 67HP) is a "girls bike"....

Go figure.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 03:46 PM

I came down from a Kaw ZX14 (aka "an ICBM with turn signals") and found the 650 LT a much more tractable machine both in town and on the highway.

I've been able to pull off (somewhat painfully) 500 miles days, ride in the rain, hot weather, twisty roads, straight boring roads, heavy traffic, and no traffic all with zero drama and zero problems.

I don't think you'll have any complaints. I've had a ball so far.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:06 PM

Garage
its a great machine.... there will be no regrets

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 05:54 AM

Garage
heat

Quote:

The Harley was just too big and noisy for my taste and it wasn't fun commuting to work in traffic. It was heavy and hot. My commute to work is 50% open highway and 50% Philadelphia stop and go traffic. On the Harley, by the time I got to work, I was drenched in sweat from the insane heat rising up from the motor.

There's a lot of truth in that. I've had a fair number of bikes over sixty years riding year round, and Sierra the V650LT may be the least heat-making ride of all. Got your exhaust down behind your heel, headers nowhere in sight, barely sipping any gas... it's all damn cool.

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Hello everybody,

I just joined the forum to read about the Versys since I am considering buying one. I have owned several bikes in the past, my most recent one was a Harley Davidson 1200 Custom that I sold last year. I'm done with the big heavy cruisers and want something light, nimble, and fun to just jump on and go.

So I've been doing some homework, looking at "adventure sport" bikes from all the manufacturers. Kawasaki seems to have the best deal on the 650 LT -- for the price, it already comes with hard bags.

The 650 is more desirable to me over the 1000. Even though I'm accustomed to larger displacements, the 650 is smaller, lighter, and more nimble, which is precisely what I'm looking for. Even though my friends are laughing at me because, for reasons unknown, a 650CC motorcycle is a "girl's bike." But I'm secure enough in my masculinity to handle it. I'm old enough now to want things that are enjoyable for me versus something that's cool or masculine. I have nothing to prove.

I was considering a used one but I have never bought a brand new motorcycle before and Kawasaki has 12 months 0% financing so I figure why not, right?

Well, wanted to pop in and introduce myself and hopefully by the time I post again I will be the proud owner of a 2018 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT...unless someone can talk me out of it.
This could have been my post, except I never had a Harley, but plenty of cruisers. Now I have a Super Tenere, great bike, but want something even lighter and smoother to ride as I mostly just commute anymore.
The V650 should do the trick, if I can ever get rid of the ST.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 12:38 PM

Garage
I am really enjoying my 2018 650 LT. It has far exceeded my expectations. It is the "keeper" I've been searching many years for.

Dave
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 03:22 PM

Garage
Take a look at Cycletrader.com. It is a great site for comparing prices
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode