New member without a Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 05:27 PM

New member without a Versys

Hi! Just wanted to introduce myself. I live just north of Houston, Tx in a town called Porter. I've been reading posts on this forum for a month or so and have really been enjoying it. I don't have a motorcycle at all right now, but have decided a Versys might be a great bike for me. I bought an 08 Ninja 250 brand new, but only owned it for a couple of years. I think between the seating position and lower level of power, I lost interest pretty fast and decided to sell. I remember seeing a red 08 Versys on the showroom floor, but buying a 650 didn't seem right for me at the time, but the styling of the bike definitely caught my eye! I mostly used my ninja for commuting and early morning joy rides. Well, I'm looking at 08 V650 with 13000 miles for $3250. Its been adult owned and supposedly well maintained. It looks perfect in the pictures, and the seller said it won't disappoint. So I'll let you know if I make a move!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome aboard. You won't be disappointed in the ride of the Versys. I've had mine for 2 years and still get a smile on my face every day I ride it.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome.

The Versys 650 is a great first bike for a taller person, the power is quite manageable with no surprises from the motor, it is very easy to ride (also quite easy to ride fast if hitting the twisties is your thing), it is also comfortable enough to ride all day (though pre-2015 Versys 650s are prone to vibration through the footpegs and bars).
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Jsmith58...the Versys is a great motorcycle. I've owned my 2018 since February and have 5K+ miles already (which is a week's worth of riding for some of the owners on this site!).

I refer to it as the "Adventure Ninja" so I think you'll feel pretty comfortable on one. See if you can take it for a test ride and I think you'll like it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 08:20 AM

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...pggvZ7dzSgfKDF

Thanks for the advice! This is the bike I'm looking at. Its about 3 hours from me in San Antonio. If any of you have time, I'd like to hear your thoughts. My biggest problem with it is the tires are from 2013 (rear), and 2014 (front). Other than that it looks like a great bike for its age. Should the age of the tires be a big concern, as well as the overall mileage of this bike at $3250? I was more comfortable at my offer of $3000, but he met me in the middle.

Last edited by Jsmith58; 06-24-2018 at 09:43 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome from Canada

to the forum , please read;http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
2008 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmith58 View Post
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...pggvZ7dzSgfKDF

Thanks for the advice! This is the bike I'm looking at. Its about 3 hours from me in San Antonio. If any of you have time, I'd like to hear your thoughts. My biggest problem with it is the tires are from 2013 (rear), and 2014 (front). Other than that it looks like a great bike for its age. Should the age of the tires be a big concern, as well as the overall mileage of this bike at $3250? I was more comfortable at my offer of $3000, but he met me in the middle.
First professionally maintained says nothing. I am going to state what needs to be addressed and you decide. Many of us have found tight valves , and below the recommended mileage for a valve shim check, my 2015 I did @ 12000 KM approx. half the recommended mileage and I found tight valves. My 07 Versys I did at 27,000 KM and found one exhaust tight to the point I was worried of damage. 12,000 miles I would be doing a valve shim check, one easy way to see if there is a problem is hook up the vacuum gauges and see if the throttle body sync is off ( word of warning, if the owner has adjusted the bypass screw this won't work) here is a video explaining http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...61-post30.html

The brake fluid should have been changed in the last 2 years. The tires have a date code on them https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how...our-tires.html

For what i offered I think the price is high. There are several for sale on this forum, if you have looked , please feel free to say so. I may add some more links later to this post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode