Trading my current bike for a Versys 650 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Trading my current bike for a Versys 650

Hi Folks,

I am considering to trade in my 2015 Honda NC700X for a brand new 2018 Versys 650 ABS (non LT).

After shopping around and harassing dealers I got this offer and I wanted to ask for you honest opinion:

Unit price after discount $6500 (MSRP $8099)
Cash price after all their b.s fees (freight, dealer prep, title, inspection) $7437
Trade in allowance $3500 (for my bike)

final price after more b.s fees (sales tax, reg fee, doc fee) $4406.44

I know I can get more for my bike if I sell myself, but I tried, for a month+, and didn't get any inquiries.

good? bad? can I do better? the salesman already complained to me that I killed his commission, but IDC

cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome from Canada

to the forum , please read;http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html As to price, in Canada, my bike was a January February purchase when deals can be had, at least $500 less than you where quoted , included in that price ,the dealer had a $300 farkle extra included as part of the price ( didn't need to be Kawi ). I have checked in Canada with the exchange on the dollar, exactly the same as going in Canada Ontario , possibly $300 less. What you need to consider is that you don't need to safety your old bike,the purchase price of the new bike is taxed minus the trade in price, so that is a gain. You should be asking if there is any promotions included by Kawasaki , which was my $300 farkle list. A wise choice of not going with the LT, I have 4 buddies with the LT case, a PITA getting off, many things will not fit inside and the ignition key is required to open them. I purchased the Trekker cases for just slightly more than the LT and way better for fitting stuff.

As to 2018, other than colour , to the best of my knowledge it is the same as a 2015, so a new 2015 may be a far better price.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You should be asking if there is any promotions included by Kawasaki
sadly there aren't any promotions aside from some b.s interest free financing. I knew that buying/trading-in a bike during the summer may not work in my favor , but I live in Texas so we don't really have a winter here.

Quote:
A wise choice of not going with the LT
I initially considered it, but then I was like "why do I pay for some overpriced saddlebags when I can buy them for a fraction of the price on RevZilla or Amazon".

Quote:
As to 2018, other than colour , to the best of my knowledge it is the same as a 2015, so a new 2015 may be a far better price.
not entirely true. Starting in 2017 Kawasaki introduced a gear indicator and few other minor improvements that I felt worth getting a > 2016 model.

Also, the dealer had a 2016 one, but for some reason he said if I get the 2018, he would give me a MUCH better deal. Looks like he wants to get rid of new inventory first. I am not sure.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 10:10 PM

Garage
I had a 2012 NC700X-it was OK great mpg-the Versys is a whole other bike very hard to compare the two-except to say the Versys does every thing better-except that 73mpg I was getting my Versys gets 60mpg-a very good trade off

Deep in Cajun Country
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I had a 2012 NC700X-it was OK great mpg-the Versys is a whole other bike very hard to compare the two-except to say the Versys does every thing better-except that 73mpg I was getting my Versys gets 60mpg-a very good trade off
I like my NX700-X, especially for its great mpg but it's just not a good bike for long rides. It's purely a commuter bike for short rides. Every time I went on a long rides with it, I came back with bad back pain and fatigue.
After test driving the Versys ( even though I'll have to deal with a clutch again) I was blown away by the performance and comfort. I really wanted a bike that I can ride comfortably for longer than 20 miles without starting to feel back pain and fatigue. hopefully the Versys can deliver on that.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

aboard!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 08:49 AM

rob8861 - I traded my NC700 with DCT for my 2018 Versys 650. I just wasn't liking the DCT (it's an awesome invention but I just couldn't get used to the way it shifts when I wasn't ready). I really enjoyed the NC700.

LSS - after getting into the adventure-style bikes I bought a used V-strom, then traded for the NC, then traded for the Versys. I initially went to look at a 2016 V-strom but, like your situation, the dealership offered me less for a 2018 Versys! I jumped at it and LOVE this bike!

But I will say, if you enjoy your NC700, minus the back pain, have you looked into different seats? A different seat can make a TON of difference! Out of all the bikes I've owned the ONLY stock seat I ever could ride for long periods was the V-strom's. The stock Versys seat was killing me and I was able to pick up a Sargent seat from a member here on the forum. It's WAY better! (But I still have to do something as my recent 2500 mile trip the Sargent started pinching under my thighs.)

As for pricing, I always say...if you want it, and have the money for it, price shouldn't matter! There's always someone that will get it for way better and others that pay a lot more. But if it's what you want, and can afford it...go for it!

Finally, if you go with the Versys you're going to pay around $700 +/- for bags and brackets. I looked at the Shad's and Givi's but just didn't like the "bubble-looking" cases sticking all out. So I got out the checkbook and went with the Kawasaki side case. (I did get a Givi 47L top case.)

Whatever you decide, keep us posted! Good luck with your decision.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

@Devilsfan Thank you for sharing your experience. To be completely honest, before I decided to trade in my bike I was really thinking about keeping my NC and just replacing the seat and the windscreen. However, after test riding the Versys I was like "wow, this bike is so much fun". I usually don't customize my bikes , and hopefully the stock gel-filled seat on the versys is good enough for my butt. Right now, the only downside I can find is the fact that I would need to deal with a clutch (not fun while in traffic).

by the way, does the versys have a compartment to store paperwork like registration, manual, tools etc? I couldn't find anything on Kawasaki website or the web that indicates such storage space exists. It would be foolish of Kawasaki to build a Touring bike with no compartment.

Thanks

P.S:
Quote:
I just wasn't liking the DCT (it's an awesome invention but I just couldn't get used to the way it shifts when I wasn't ready)
The DCT has a manual mode which let's you control the shifting. It will only downshift to prevent stalling, but otherwise you are in full control. DCT is based on the same technology used in Formula one and it shifts gears at 0.7 seconds which is faster than any human being.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob8861 View Post
@Devilsfan

by the way, does the versys have a compartment to store paperwork like registration, manual, tools etc? I couldn't find anything on Kawasaki website or the web that indicates such storage space exists. It would be foolish of Kawasaki to build a Touring bike with no compartment.

Thanks
The only place I know of is under the seat. There's a cut-out for putting papers but it's tiny.

Quote:
P.S:

The DCT has a manual mode which let's you control the shifting. It will only downshift to prevent stalling, but otherwise you are in full control. DCT is based on the same technology used in Formula one and it shifts gears at 0.7 seconds which is faster than any human being.

Yeah, the manual mode takes some getting used to...something I just wasn't feeling "right" about. Again, the DCT is great - especially in traffic - but the Versys, IMO, is just an awesome ride! BTW, I was in a deal to trade the DCT NC700 for a brand new NC700 manual, but I thought to go down to the dealer I bought my CTX at. As usual, they outdid the Honda dealer and I got the Versys!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

@Devilsfan
How long did it take you to adjust back to using a clutch? I've own my NC for 3 years so I am only relying on my muscle memory.

p.s: I agree about the manual shifting on the NC. they placed the shifters in an odd location. I also found it very awkward to use. I usually rode in S mode.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob8861 View Post
@Devilsfan
How long did it take you to adjust back to using a clutch? I've own my NC for 3 years so I am only relying on my muscle memory.

p.s: I agree about the manual shifting on the NC. they placed the shifters in an odd location. I also found it very awkward to use. I usually rode in S mode.

You'll be fine using a clutch again. For me, I still had my CTX manual so switching bikes was no big deal. I did often look for a shifter peg when jumping on the NC!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode