New 650 LT owner- traded in an Africa Twin on one :-) - am I crazy ? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By macombcountykarl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New 650 LT owner- traded in an Africa Twin on one :-) - am I crazy ?

Good Evening

Pretty new owner of a lightly used 2015 Versys 650 LT with about 12K miles on it.

I actually just traded in my 2017 Africa Twin for it, as I was looking for something a bit more economical but still fun, and it was really between a versys and a strom for me.

I probably sound a little crazy for getting rid of the AT, but as I was using that bike more as a sport touring bike anyway (too much fragile plastic for me to risk riding it hard offroad-I could afford the payments but not the potential crash repairs), I wanted something a bit simpler (easier to work on), with a little longer range, tubeless tires, something with ABS, and I wanted something a little cheaper (to both insure and maintain) . I had just shy of 16000 on my Africa Twin, and I've racked up a ton of miles on KLR's (including an Alaska trip a few years ago)

So far I've really only ridden the bike for work, though I'm hoping to change that in the coming weeks.

Looking forward to learning more about my new traveling companion - appreciate all I've been able to learn about this bike so far!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome from Canada

to the forum , please read;http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I was waiting for my dealer to get one in-just had to see it-walked in one day and there it was- as I got closer I was thinking this thing looks great-tried to swing a leg over and got my foot caught in the grab rail-needed help getting my foot out and me off the bike-after that I just kept walking-it's not for me-now with that being said when Honda announced the A-T there was to be two versions-the one we have now and a sportier street version with lower seat height and tubeless mag wheel-never heard any more about it

Deep in Cajun Country
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the support :-)

the AT was a great bike don't get me wrong, but after owning it for a year, was just kinda overkill for what I use it for - the versys seems like it'll do 99% of what I asked the AT to do and will do it just as well or better, and cheaper. Time will tell of course.

That said, I would like to get my Versys a little more dialed in for gravel/unimproved roads (arguably even main roads in the Detroit area haha)

Definitely need a skid plate for it, and down the road thinking about a higher exhaust if one is available.

Also going to be ordering peg lowering brackets, but what about the pegs themselves ?

Is a taller seat available for this bike ? I plan on scouring the forums here a bit- I see the info on the raising brackets, but thinking I might want to make the seat a bit more dual sport ish to give me a little room to scoot back at times.

One thing I do notice about my "v" so far, it seems like it chugs at idle a bit, and the fuel gauge reads lower at idle but then when I start riding it perks right up to normal - need to check this site for that too :-)

Also- wtf on the key's kawi ? - first time fueling this bike up (only one key) and like many have posted it bent! 2 spares are on order now.... first thing I ordered for this bike..

Looking forward to many new adventures - have one already in mind for my next bit of vacation time around the 4th.
onewizard likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Tested an Africa Twin a few years back. Preferred staying w/ the V650!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 06:41 PM
17A

Quote:
Originally Posted by macombcountykarl View Post
Thanks for the support :-)

Also- wtf on the key's kawi ? - first time fueling this bike up (only one key) and like many have posted it bent! 2 spares are on order now.... first thing I ordered for this bike..
You really have to press down on the gas cap to get the key to turn easy. Both for opening and closing.

2018 Versys 650 SE
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17A View Post
You really have to press down on the gas cap to get the key to turn easy. Both for opening and closing.
You really have to REALLY press down HARD on the gas cap to get the key to turn easy. (And when it gets hard to turn again, later on, I spray some silicone spray into the lock.)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I dislike a chain for touring. PITA if you don't have a center stand IMO. I was looking at the Honda Crosstour when it came out but the lack of cruise control make it a non start for me.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode