New Versys owner in Seattle - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
New Versys owner in Seattle

Hi from rainy Seattle.

I've been away from motorcycles for about 20 years, but a new commute and a (very) patient wife have brought me back to the moto world.

My first bike was a 1980 KZ550; LOVED it, and it made me a Kawi guy.

A search for something bigger and more highway-friendly brought me to a 1981 GS850G. Yeah, it was a great highway bike but its bulk, a hilariously mismatched Vetter Quicksilver fairing (bringing wet weight close to 600lbs) and a horrible wrenching experience swore me off Suzukis for life, until...

...a couple months ago, when I started my new moto search. All signs pointed to the SV650 until I realized I'd need a fairing here in the Pacific Northwest, and the SV650s had clipons--a no go for an old fart in his mid 40s.

So I started looking at V-Strom 650s. I test rode one; nice bike, but it felt like a cross between a two-wheeled Subaru and a loaded porteur bicycle.

Then I read about Ninja 650s; I test-rode one and liked how easy it was to ride (and I liked the riding position), but it felt too much like a toy to me. (Apologies in advance to the Ninja folks out there; I'd probably have been perfectly happy on one.)

Which brings me to the Versys, which I wrote off for cosmetic reasons. (I don't like the looks of the '08-'09 version.) But I found and rode a 2010 bike, which instantly felt right: not as boat-like as the V-Strom, not as toy-like as the 650R--and brought it home.

The funny thing about all this is that on paper the KZ550 and the Versys are remarkably close: similar curb weight, similar wheelbase, similar power-to-weight ratio (very different saddle height). But I'll be more than happy to ride something with a more flexible engine, better brakes, fuel injection (hooray!), better highway legs and some weather protection. So it's all a win.

Happy to be here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 07:54 PM

Garage
Welcome from Seattle! Hope to meet you on the road sometime.

BigDaddyE
V 650 LT 2015 white
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 09:10 PM

Garage

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome from Canada

to the forum , please read;http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This one has about 4500 miles on it. Kind of an odd mystery; the PO was the second owner, and only rode it about 1000 miles before he sold it to me. But it looks like it was fitted out for some kind of adventure. Does anybody on the forum recognize a low-mileage black ‘10 with SW Motech engine guards, Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires, a Givi Monokey top case rack, Pivot Pegz and a Calsci windscreen?

If so I’m dying to know its story. What had this thing been up to before me?

Last edited by Sturmeyhack; 06-16-2018 at 03:51 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 07:17 PM

Garage
Welcome (back)! The Versys is the bike that got me back on two wheels after a seven year hiatus. Two years later and still lovin' it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome from San Antonio, Texas.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode