Just Got My Permit - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

11Likes
  • 2 Post By Duffy
  • 2 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 2 Post By Cory
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 3 Post By txcyclist
  • 1 Post By BLACK DOG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just Got My Permit

After almost a year of terrible agonizing pretty sure it's gonna be a 650 Versys.
Haven't been on a bike in about 30 years when I raced motocross as a better-than-average amateur; having won a national or two on Amateur Day and 2nd at Loretta Lynn's one year.
On a trip to Italy last summer I saw all of these bikes and a bulb went off. Was initially way into getting a Moto Guzzi, but I'd much rather keep the shop local and great; and the local Kawasaki/Yamaha shop is pretty good.
There were a bunch of bikes at a traffic light and I asked my wife what she thought about getting a bike. She immediately said, "I don't give a **** what you do!" That was my green light and here I am.
Should happen in maybe a month or two. Just have to hit a financial goal.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
When translated, that kind of answer from a wife actually means "NO". Good luck and enjoy the riding.
onewizard and twowheeladdict like this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
After almost a year of terrible agonizing pretty sure it's gonna be a 650 Versys.
Haven't been on a bike in about 30 years when I raced motocross as a better-than-average amateur; having won a national or two on Amateur Day and 2nd at Loretta Lynn's one year.
On a trip to Italy last summer I saw all of these bikes and a bulb went off. Was initially way into getting a Moto Guzzi, but I'd much rather keep the shop local and great; and the local Kawasaki/Yamaha shop is pretty good.
There were a bunch of bikes at a traffic light and I asked my wife what she thought about getting a bike. She immediately said, "I don't give a **** what you do!" That was my green light and here I am.
Should happen in maybe a month or two. Just have to hit a financial goal.
Thanks.

I am infatuated with the Moto Guzzi V7 bikes. My first bike was a '77 Yamaha XS750 with shaft drive. Moto Guzzi is the only company that makes a 750cc standard with shaft drive.

That said, the Versys is a better bike without having to invest money in suspension components to get it to where it should be from the factory. Of course, every bike made can benefit from suspension tweaks.

I have seen many ebay sales ads for motorcycles where the guy said "I asked my wife about getting this bike and she said "Do whatever the **** you want to!", so i did but that actually meant "HELL NO!" So now the bike is for sale".

I guess you have to decide what is more important to you. For me that would definitely be motorcycles.
onewizard and Duffy like this.

My Versys Travels:

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

To give credibility to your arguments - she's a little pissed about having gotten my permit and the growing pile of safety gear isn't helping. But every now and then I'll just walk around the house in my new Bell Star helmet just to acclimate her to the pending bike. It never goes well.
I just have to hit a financial milestone and then she won't really care. It's not about my safety or anything silly like that - just about me spending money; so I'll square that away and get it then. I have until January before I have to either get a license or retake the permit test.
onewizard and twowheeladdict like this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Welcome from Canada

to the forum , please read;http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html And the challenge is buying the bike!! First thing make sure your life insurance is paid up, you have $$$$$$$$$$$ coverage, keep , butter her up, she is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Okay I will admit it, even at 68 , why did you buy that $$$$$new Gortex jacket, explain it helps to make sure you arive home safely and in comfort, well you know.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
To give credibility to your arguments - she's a little pissed about having gotten my permit and the growing pile of safety gear isn't helping. But every now and then I'll just walk around the house in my new Bell Star helmet just to acclimate her to the pending bike. It never goes well.
I just have to hit a financial milestone and then she won't really care. It's not about my safety or anything silly like that - just about me spending money; so I'll square that away and get it then. I have until January before I have to either get a license or retake the permit test.
My wife and I distribute money in budgets. She has her hobby budget, and i have my hobby budget. When there is money in your budget to spend on something the other person can only respond with "nice".

My wife will ask me if something is new that I have had for years and won't notice if something is really new.

Every couple has to figure out what works best for them.
Duffy likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 09:59 AM

Garage
The spouse issue has to be managed. For me, I just bought a helmet and gloves before the bike -- so it wasn't obvious how expensive other gear could be. After that I started adding more gear for more safety. Also helped my argument that she has almost always had a more expensive car than me. And that I was upping my life insurance. YMMV.

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
When I started talking about replacing my last bike, I mentioned having to see if I could swing it financially. My wife asked, "How much do you think a bike payment would be?" I told her. Her reply? "I can swing that. Go look at what you like." I married well.
onewizard, Duffy and flip20xx like this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 10:26 AM

When I was putting together my over winter list for my oldwing my wife asked about the cost & amount of time I would be wrenching. I gave her the estimates & she asked how much more it would to just donate & replace it. She gave me a ride to pick up the V.
Duffy likes this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 11:31 AM

Wives are an odd off-shoot of female.............I have ridden bikes all my life and my wife (of 44 years) has never been as enthusiastic as I am. I took a break for about 10-15 years and when I said I was going to get another bike her reply was "aren't you a bit too old?" (I was 55). I said "yes, probably, but I quit smoking two years ago and I no longer chase race cars so it was time to do something dangerous again. She just shrugged her shoulders and I have been riding since (this was 2005). I have "rules" that I have to follow when I take off for a three week ride however. I just have to text her at the end of the day and tell her I'm done riding for that day and where I'm at. If I didn't she would probably be calling the insurance folks the next day .
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 02:10 PM

Garage
When I got the bug for riding, I planned on starting on a smaller CC bike, eyeballing the CBR250R-300R. Of course my wife was a bit hesitant about this whole idea as well when I first mentioned it (start up cost of bike, gear, etc, along with the potential danger) but long story short she called a local dealership without me knowing and found a very clean CBR250R they just got in for a good deal. Took it home a few days later.

One year after that when I said "I want a bigger bike, like the Versys 650" she just said "Looks good, go for it". I got me a good one! (that applies to both the bike and the wife) :-)

You can't judge a book by its cover, but I know a coloring book when I see one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode