New Member - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Robert Lambke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Hey Kawabunga
Did this ever get resolved?
I'm asking as I am having the same thing occur with my 2017 Ninja 1000.
It actually overheated (bars to full and red light came on) on a ride last weekend.
Dealer said no code registered on the ECU and they couldn't replicate the issue so there is nothing they can do.
I too, feel that my bike is running hotter than it did last season (3200 miles on the clock) but cannot understand why.
Would love to know if you found a solution.
Cheers,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome from Canada

to the forum , please read;http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html Also what method did you use to do your first post, i.e. laptop, using chrome, tablet using FireFox etc.?

Last edited by onewizard; 06-11-2018 at 07:04 AM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

A favour for a Kawi Brother

Kawasaki Brothers & Sisters

I do not ride a Versys (but maybe I should? :-)
I do however ride a 2017 Ninja 1000 (Z1000SX) that I am having cooling issues with.
I found a thread on this forum (Engine running too hot too quickly) by a member (Kawabunga) who is having a very similar issue with his Versys 300 (no one on the Ninja forum is seeing this issue).
I'd really like to get in touch with him and contribute to his thread, but I need to post in here first (totally understand - we all need to fight the bots and spammers!).

So - my name is Rob and I live in Cambridge, Ontario and I am a Kawa-holic.
My riding season has been pretty frustrating so far, so I'm hoping Kawabunga and I can help each other.

Hope all of you are enjoying the riding season so far.

Cheers,

Rob

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
have you checked to make sure your fan is spinning freely and turning on ? i had a fan fail on my 650 and once replaced worked just fine and never over heated again

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
have you checked to make sure your fan is spinning freely and turning on ? i had a fan fail on my 650 and once replaced worked just fine and never over heated again
Thanks Silviefox

The day it overheated, I can't recall 100% if the fan came on as it was:
1. a total and utter surprise (it never happened last season - which was my first with this specific bike after owning many, many bikes)
2. as I wear ear plugs and shut the bike off immediately I couldn't tell

My guess is that it didn't come on.

That being said, it has come on and run each time the bike reaches 100 C (212 F) as it is designed to do (stopped at a light etc.)
I still feel like the bike is running hotter than it did last season, but can't prove it.
The folks on the Ninja 1000 forum say that these bikes run hot and that if the fan is coming on, it's normal behaviour.

The Kawi tech did mention in his notes that at idle, the fan took a long time to dissipate the heat and shut off.
The fan sounds like it is working correctly, but I wonder if it is running 100% efficiently...

Rob
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lambke View Post
Thanks Silviefox

The day it overheated, I can't recall 100% if the fan came on as it was:
1. a total and utter surprise (it never happened last season - which was my first with this specific bike after owning many, many bikes)
2. as I wear ear plugs and shut the bike off immediately I couldn't tell

My guess is that it didn't come on.

That being said, it has come on and run each time the bike reaches 100 C (212 F) as it is designed to do (stopped at a light etc.)
I still feel like the bike is running hotter than it did last season, but can't prove it.
The folks on the Ninja 1000 forum say that these bikes run hot and that if the fan is coming on, it's normal behaviour.

The Kawi tech did mention in his notes that at idle, the fan took a long time to dissipate the heat and shut off.
The fan sounds like it is working correctly, but I wonder if it is running 100% efficiently...

Rob
i would check your fan and also check your rad to make sure the fins are not packed full of stuff. i know on my shadow i hit a few june bugs (huge beetles) and noticed it was getting really hot and the fan was on for long points of time and when i looked it over the rad fins were packed full of guts and bodies. once i cleaned it out it ran like normal again

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
i would check your fan and also check your rad to make sure the fins are not packed full of stuff. i know on my shadow i hit a few june bugs (huge beetles) and noticed it was getting really hot and the fan was on for long points of time and when i looked it over the rad fins were packed full of guts and bodies. once i cleaned it out it ran like normal again
Rad is clean/clear.
I do have an R&G rad guard on the bike, but put this on right after I got the bike and had no issues all last season.
I also ran the same guard on my 2013 Ninja 1000 and rode for 3 seasons without issue.

I will take a closer look at the fan.

Cheers,

Rob
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 02:39 PM

also check thermostat and hoses.

Quote:
Rad is clean/clear.
I do have an R&G rad guard on the bike, but put this on right after I got the bike and had no issues all last season.
I also ran the same guard on my 2013 Ninja 1000 and rode for 3 seasons without issue.

I will take a closer look at the fan.

Cheers,

Rob
check your thermostat. if it's not opening or closing properly you can get similar issues.

When is the last time you changed/cleaned your coolant?

Check your reservoir bottle for junk in the bottom. it may be plugging your radiator system.

Check hoses to see if one of them is collapsing under pressure (unlikely, but you never know..)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Kawasaki Brothers & Sisters

I do not ride a Versys (but maybe I should? :-)
I do however ride a 2017 Ninja 1000 (Z1000SX) that I am having cooling issues with.
I found a thread on this forum (Engine running too hot too quickly) by a member (Kawabunga) who is having a very similar issue with his Versys 300 (no one on the Ninja forum is seeing this issue).
I'd really like to get in touch with him and contribute to his thread, but I need to post in here first (totally understand - we all need to fight the bots and spammers!).

So - my name is Rob and I live in Cambridge, Ontario and I am a Kawa-holic.
My riding season has been pretty frustrating so far, so I'm hoping Kawabunga and I can help each other.

Hope all of you are enjoying the riding season so far.

Cheers,

Rob
Start your bike and let it idle until fan starts at operating temp or above and see if fan comes on which it should if temp rises past center. Make sure fan spins freely first. Also check coolant level is OK. Next remove thermostat and check in hot water of correct temp to see if it works.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
check your thermostat. if it's not opening or closing properly you can get similar issues.

When is the last time you changed/cleaned your coolant?

Check your reservoir bottle for junk in the bottom. it may be plugging your radiator system.

Check hoses to see if one of them is collapsing under pressure (unlikely, but you never know..)
Thanks.
The bike is a 2017 with just over 3500 miles on it.
Dealer checked the coolant levels and specific gravity and all were fine.

I may need to check the thermostat - but I need to empty the cooling system to remove it (according to the shop manual)...I think I will focus on the fan first.

Does anyone know if Kawabunga got his issue resolved?

Rob
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Start your bike and let it idle until fan starts at operating temp or above and see if fan comes on which it should if temp rises past center. Make sure fan spins freely first. Also check coolant level is OK. Next remove thermostat and check in hot water of correct temp to see if it works.
Thanks.
The fan does come on once the bike hits one bar from the top which is where the Kawi tech thought it should.
The fan comes on at 100C or 216F - I haven't used a thermal gun to confirm that this is what the temp is when the gauge is at this level.
This is the same symptom that Kawabunga was experiencing - hence why I'm curious to see if his issue got resolved or not.
Would just save me time guessing.

I am going to make sure the fan spins freely.
Coolant level is good.

Appreciate all the thoughts/feedback folks!

Rob
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
to the forum , please read;http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html Also what method did you use to do your first post, i.e. laptop, using chrome, tablet using FireFox etc.?
Laptop using Chrome.

I did read the member intro bit - I was literally writing out my post and expecting to copy it to Wordpad or somesuch when it appeared to let me post it.
When it was gone this morning I assumed it was that I need to post in New Members first etc.
I work in IT, so I get the concept of blocking hackers/spammers/bots.

Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Rob
onewizard likes this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks.
The fan does come on once the bike hits one bar from the top which is where the Kawi tech thought it should.
The fan comes on at 100C or 216F - I haven't used a thermal gun to confirm that this is what the temp is when the gauge is at this level.
This is the same symptom that Kawabunga was experiencing - hence why I'm curious to see if his issue got resolved or not.
Would just save me time guessing.

I am going to make sure the fan spins freely.
Coolant level is good.

Appreciate all the thoughts/feedback folks!

Rob
You may have a bad thermostat then. It should normally come on just after your engine hits optimum temperature, not when the needle is about to be pinned. Check service manual. If you don't have one you can download from your forum or here (V1000 but the same engine)
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
You may have a bad thermostat then. It should normally come on just after your engine hits optimum temperature, not when the needle is about to be pinned. Check service manual. If you don't have one you can download from your forum or here (V1000 but the same engine)
Thanks - I have the service manual.
This would explain why the when the fan comes on it has to work harder/longer than expected to bring it back down to "normal" operating temp.
This lines up with exactly what my gut tells me.

Thanks TwoWheels!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Not sure if it's the 48 hour waiting period or not, but I don't seem to be able to post to any threads other than this one.
@onewizard - I can't reply to your PM either at this time...again - expecting it's the security measures.

Rob
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

T Bob

Quote:
Thanks - I have the service manual.
This would explain why the when the fan comes on it has to work harder/longer than expected to bring it back down to "normal" operating temp.
This lines up with exactly what my gut tells me.

Thanks TwoWheels!
I posted in the other thread but have extensive experience on cooling systems, been working on water cooled everything all my life. Post 52 is the start of my initial switch over after selling my 07 which I had also installed the T Bob, the difference is a thing called stratification occurs on the return side of the rad which is the standard mounting location, I wanted it on the discharge side which doesn't suffer from the same stratification effects as the return side. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ight=thermobob So I had drained my system at least 8 times, the final one was when I installed a prototype #4 designed for snow bikes.

So two factors in cooling, the fan comes on around 214'F and turns off around 210'F , if there is a flow restriction this should be easy to find, as I have run my 2015 650ABS at 4000 RPM at a standstill, watching the engine temp come up, the instant the fan comes on, the temperature stabilizes and after about 30 seconds it starts dropping , cycle time at 4000 RPM is approximately 2.5 minutes , fan on time fan off time, that is it takes about 2.5 minutes at 4000 RPM to gain enough engine heat to raise it 4'F, roughly the same to dissipate it, with reduced flow, expect the engine temperature to continue to climb beyond 214'F even with the fan running. SAecond thing that plays a huge bearing in the fan cycle is your idle RPM and idle voltage VDC , a change of 1 volt reduces the speed by roughly 20% , a fan is one of those things that double the speed = Hp squared . So if you have a bad battery and your idle is low, you may be down around 13 to 13.6 VDC, at that voltage it would take approx. 4 minutes for the same above cycle.I have enough temperature meters and probes that I can measure both discharge and engine temperature simultaneously. Please check your idle VDC after engine and oil at full temp., if you are running standard headlights , turn on high beam, this is almost the equivalent of the fan amps. Post your readings in this thread.

This is a capillary read out of my bypass line for the T Bob. This was taken when I was cycling the T stat and getting the air out of the system, as my bypass is almost the highest part of the glycol system. This shot was taken with the fan starting to cool the system

Last edited by onewizard; 06-11-2018 at 08:40 PM.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks @onewizard.
I don't have these tools or the knowledge on how to do (even with your explanation) but I am willing to give it a shot!

Any chance you can email me at rlambke19 at Geemail dot com?

Really appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Rob
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

PM / 48 hours

Quote:
Not sure if it's the 48 hour waiting period or not, but I don't seem to be able to post to any threads other than this one.
@onewizard - I can't reply to your PM either at this time...again - expecting it's the security measures.

Rob
Yes another setting that is screwed up, going to leave that one alone for now, 2 levels of tech support above us mods, someone reset every setting 2 weeks ago, then did a restore to last backed up, so we lost 15 hours of new members and posts. I have pulled roughly 6 work orders, I think today may be the first day I can relax, plus today is my first ride in 7 months almost 90% healed up, short ride of 80KM. Got to visit a riding buddy, got to talking, been 10 months since I saw him last, time flew by. May head out tomorrow depending on weather predictions, do a normal 300 KM + + ride.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

@Kawabunga
Did your running hot issue ever get resolved?
(I know this isn't the right place to post this, but it's the only thread I can post in!)
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode