New Member from Palmer Rapids Ontario - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
17A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Member from Palmer Rapids Ontario

Hi Everyone.

Picking up my new Versys 650 SE tomorrow in Ottawa.

Very happy to be a member of the Forum.

I will be riding out to the east coast via the New England States later this summer.

2018 Versys 650 SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Welcome from Canada / Southern Ontario

to the forum , please read;http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Pleased to have you aboard, 17A.
Ride it home safe!
I look forward to hearing what you think of it!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17A View Post
Hi Everyone.

Picking up my new Versys 650 SE tomorrow in Ottawa.

Very happy to be a member of the Forum.

I will be riding out to the east coast via the New England States later this summer.
Congrats. Was it the one on the show room floor at Ottawa Goodtime Centre? You can pick up some 8mm spools on ebay cheap although you will need to purchase a rear spool stand too. Check out 613 Motosports for accessories like stands while you are in Ottawa as I find they have better pricing and will price match places like FortNine.ca and TwistedThrottle.ca.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
If you message me I will send you a link to download the service manual however I cannot post this on a publically indexed site like this for copyright reasons.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

How To Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
If you message me I will send you a link to download the service manual however I cannot post this on a publically indexed site like this for copyright reasons.
Everything is back to normal , check the stickies .
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
17A

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Congrats. Was it the one on the show room floor at Ottawa Goodtime Centre? You can pick up some 8mm spools on ebay cheap although you will need to purchase a rear spool stand too. Check out 613 Motosports for accessories like stands while you are in Ottawa as I find they have better pricing and will price match places like FortNine.ca and TwistedThrottle.ca.
Thanx for the info and yes it is the SE one on the showroom floor at the Goodtime center...

2018 Versys 650 SE
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
17A

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Everything is back to normal , check the stickies .
Thanx allot...will do. Just in a big rush getting things ready for tomorrow. Very exciting.

2018 Versys 650 SE
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
aboard!

Want a GREAT ride...?

Head WEST!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
17A

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!

Want a GREAT ride...?

Head WEST!

It's on my bucket list...

2018 Versys 650 SE
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 09:29 PM

Welcome from Barrhaven!

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
17A

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Welcome from Barrhaven!

Dave C
Thanx....nice to see there are lots of people close by. If you are ever passing through Barry's Bay area let me know.

In a few hours I am heading to the Goodtime Center to pick up my new bike.
DaveC likes this.

2018 Versys 650 SE
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
In a few hours I am heading to the Goodtime Center to pick up my new bike.
-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
17A

Well thought you guys may like to know about the bike experience from a Versys Newb.

Left early on my 2016 Yamaha FJ-09 for the final time and drove the 200 kms to the Goodtime Center in Ottawa. Everything went smoothly at the dealership and the entire process took about an hour. They installed a couple of spools at no cost on the rear axle so I could use a stand.

I took a 300 km route home along scenic backroads, villages and small towns.

I am coming off an FJ-09 for the last 25,000 kms so the Versys has it's hands full to keep up that high of a standard, and I can say that it did not disappoint. In fact it was almost identical and in fact I would say it handles a touch better than the Yamaha, but only by a tiny margin. I love the way you can turn these bikes on a dime right from a dead start. Very flickable. The seating position is also very similar to the FJ but I think it has a seat height one inch lower. I am 6'1" so no issues with that. The seat is definately more comfortable than the FJ-09 which feels like a board after the 1st 100 kms. Not really an issue with these bikes though cause we can stand up and stretch hindquaters and legs to get blood flowing as often as required. I found I was doing that less on the Versys.

I won't compare the power between the two because the FJ-09 is in a class by itself, but I can tell you I love the power of the Versys. It is just right. The techs gave me a briefing during the walk around and told me to ignore the manual and run it between 5000 - 6000 RPM for Break In. I did that all the way home with plenty of rev matching on downshifts and varying engine speeds. I was on mainly twisty roads with rolling hills so it was easy to keep the speeds changing. Only thing I noticed was that it has a real twitchy throttle response in 1st and 2nd. I don't think that is a fault of the bike it is just a matter of me getting use to it.

Fuel economy seemed excellent. Still had about 1/3 tank left after 300 kms. I will monitor that closely on each fill up.

The general ergonomics of the bike are a perfect fit for me. The instruments are clear and easy to read. Not quite as elaborate as the FJ-09 but who needs to have a reminder about time to do an Oil Change anyway. I do wish it had a Outside Temp Gage though.

Really like this bike and plan on doing some great trips with it. Heading east to New Brunswick next month going through New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Then along the coast to the Miramachi.

She's home in Palmer Rapids where she belongs now.

onewizard likes this.

2018 Versys 650 SE
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Another Good Source of Mechanics

Quote:
Well thought you guys may like to know about the bike experience from a Versys Newb.

Left early on my 2016 Yamaha FJ-09 for the final time and drove the 200 kms to the Goodtime Center in Ottawa. Everything went smoothly at the dealership and the entire process took about an hour. They installed a couple of spools at no cost on the rear axle so I could use a stand.

I took a 300 km route home along scenic backroads, villages and small towns.

I am coming off an FJ-09 for the last 25,000 kms so the Versys has it's hands full to keep up that high of a standard, and I can say that it did not disappoint. In fact it was almost identical and in fact I would say it handles a touch better than the Yamaha, but only by a tiny margin. I love the way you can turn these bikes on a dime right from a dead start. Very flickable. The seating position is also very similar to the FJ but I think it has a seat height one inch lower. I am 6'1" so no issues with that. The seat is definately more comfortable than the FJ-09 which feels like a board after the 1st 100 kms. Not really an issue with these bikes though cause we can stand up and stretch hindquaters and legs to get blood flowing as often as required. I found I was doing that less on the Versys.

I won't compare the power between the two because the FJ-09 is in a class by itself, but I can tell you I love the power of the Versys. It is just right. The techs gave me a briefing during the walk around and told me to ignore the manual and run it between 5000 - 6000 RPM for Break In. I did that all the way home with plenty of rev matching on downshifts and varying engine speeds. I was on mainly twisty roads with rolling hills so it was easy to keep the speeds changing. Only thing I noticed was that it has a real twitchy throttle response in 1st and 2nd. I don't think that is a fault of the bike it is just a matter of me getting use to it.

Fuel economy seemed excellent. Still had about 1/3 tank left after 300 kms. I will monitor that closely on each fill up.

The general ergonomics of the bike are a perfect fit for me. The instruments are clear and easy to read. Not quite as elaborate as the FJ-09 but who needs to have a reminder about time to do an Oil Change anyway. I do wish it had a Outside Temp Gage though.

Really like this bike and plan on doing some great trips with it. Heading east to New Brunswick next month going through New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Then along the coast to the Miramachi.

She's home in Palmer Rapids where she belongs now.
]
Glad to hear you had some excellent advice from the dealership mechanics, many insist on following the manual, every so often you find someone that really knows their stuff!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
17A

Oh and my silly Username 17A is my call sign when I was in the Canadian Forces. I was an Artillery NCO and 17A (One-Seven-Alpha) was my call sign (Recce Sgt) on the Regimental Artillery Radio Network. All I could think of at the time when I was joining the Forum.

2018 Versys 650 SE
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome from Ottawa. BBay is where i ride often.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 10:30 AM

Damn, but I love the Kawasaki green. I think I'm going to have to get out to Barry's Bay...
onewizard likes this.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Couple weeks away from that

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Damn, but I love the Kawasaki green. I think I'm going to have to get out to Barry's Bay...
I did that ride last year, 10 hour day return to Kitchener, next time I intend to stay someplace overnight. I am still hesitant to get the bike out after my injuries, had planned on today but chickened out.Been over 6 months now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode