Looking at used Versys purchase - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looking at used Versys purchase

Hello. I'm currently riding a 2006 Ninja 250 I've had for 6 years and ridden 12K.

I'm looking at a 2008 Versys 650 with 35K or 38K (should have paid more attention) being sold by a dealer for $4000. It is lowered, has highway pegs and a few other extras. Seems to run very well. I can ride the Versys without being lowered, but it wouldn't make any sense to own a bike that awkward for me. I'm 5'8" and 71 years young.

What can any of you tell me about this much mileage or any other opinions about this price on one of these bikes?

Thanks!

Iowarider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum , please read;http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html

The price seems high, several things that you need to be aware of, brake fluid last changed? Valve shim checked when? basically service history. There are used bikes on this forum, see the asking price and what is included. This forum has a immense amount of knowledge all things Versys.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...0-georgia.html

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ny-extras.html

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...austin-tx.html

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...wisconsin.html

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...s-650-abs.html

Last edited by onewizard; 05-26-2018 at 08:02 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome, I assume you are in Iowa by your screen name???

I don't mean to be abrupt, but that is a pretty steep price for that bike with those many miles.

In contrast, 4 years ago I bought my 2008 - sitting at a Honda dealer with 14,000 miles on it, and I watched the price slowly decrease over a summer, from $3,500 down to $2,100....

I had to put it out of it's misery when I got to $2,100- and I rode it home. It had a few scuffs on it, but no other issues. There are lots of clean Versys around with really low miles for 3-4 grand.

Once you get to the higher end of that spectrum, you are best off considering finding a non-current new bike sitting at a dealer, and score a 2015, 2016, 2017 for a deep discount and then you have a warranty and the assurance you are getting a nice rig.

I would keep looking.

I know where there is an amazing, clean 2009 KLR for sale with tons of accessories.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 10:17 AM

Don't know which part of Iowa you're from, but here is one I found. $3,600 - $3,800 cash would be a good offer. I sure do like that Terry adcox seat. Plus it has engine guards, side case racks, and soft saddle bags.
https://dubuque.craigslist.org/mcy/d...577855600.html
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowarider View Post
...What can any of you tell me about this much mileage or any other opinions about this price on one of these bikes?...
Seems high $ to me.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 02:13 PM

Way too high with that mileage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowarider View Post
Hello. I'm currently riding a 2006 Ninja 250 I've had for 6 years and ridden 12K.

I'm looking at a 2008 Versys 650 with 35K or 38K (should have paid more attention) being sold by a dealer for $4000. It is lowered, has highway pegs and a few other extras. Seems to run very well. I can ride the Versys without being lowered, but it wouldn't make any sense to own a bike that awkward for me. I'm 5'8" and 71 years young.

What can any of you tell me about this much mileage or any other opinions about this price on one of these bikes?

Thanks!

Iowarider
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!

Seems high $ to me.

I agree with Eddie. I bought my 2008, with Corbin saddle and Two Brothers exhaust (plus the stock muffler), EIGHT YEARS AGO for $4200 and it only had around 2600 miles on the clock.

I just checked KBB and NADA motorcycle site information for the San Antonio, Texas, area (my zip code). KBB indicated a 2008 Versys 650 in excellent condition has a retail price of around $3220 while the NADA motorcycle site indicates a low retail of $2800 and an average retail of $3700. Make of that what you will but I'd suggest researching each of those sites for your zip code to see what's reasonable in your area.

And despite what the seller may believe, the minor add-ons you mentioned don't count for much at all. Even high cost hard side cases and mounting brackets are only worth in the neighborhood of $130 according to NADA.

Oh, I should mention I'm 5' 10" with a 29" inseam and am 73 years of age. Eddie is taller, and probably more fit, but he's older too!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 05-26-2018 at 02:41 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 08:32 PM

Garage
Well Ive been looking for two weeks now. Bought a Versys 650 today at Team Motorsports in Charlotte NC. 2014 with 3400 miles excellent shape with new tires. $4000. plus 299 doc fee, so $4300, then Tax tag . Check CList and FB Marketplace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode