New Guy in BC - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up New Guy in BC

New to the forum (obviously) and hopefully soon to be new to the Versys world. I'm in the market for a bike of this type and have been eyeing one up at the local dealer. I figured coming here to gather intel would allow me to make an informed purchase as well as help me decide how much I could get them to move on the price!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

As far as specifics, the bike I'm looking at is a 2012 650, yellow in color. 9200km on the odo, with a few extras like lowering kit, hard side bags, driving lights, and a few other things like a skid plate and hand guards etc. that may or may not be factory?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
  • your going to need a rear pit spool stand to clean and maintain the bike, get the dealer to throw one in on the sale, perhaps a front triple tree stand too
  • adjust the suspension and handlebar tilt when you get the bike. this makes a big difference and will vary depending on your weight and how you ride.
  • adjust the headlight aim after adjusting the suspension
  • that's well over $1000 worth of extras, the low mileage is very attractive, look for newish tires at that mileage as a set will usually be ready for replacement at 10K km.
  • you will likely want to remove the lowering kit if you have an inseam of 32 inches or greater.
  • pictures and price?

Last edited by onewizard; 05-20-2018 at 01:04 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
  • you can download the factory service manual here free of charge
Could you please tell me how to download the service manual for the 2nd gen.
All I get is an invalid thread notice. any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Welcome From Southern Central Ontario

to the forum , please read;http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome. As I am new here I don't yet have the option to make an album to post pics in as per Wizard's tutorial. Or if I do, I wasn't able to find it! lol

Thanks for the tips twowheels, as I was sitting on the bike I was thinking it was a tad low. Comfortable though. My inseam is a 32 so that makes sense.
It'll probably take me a bit to figure out what is comfortable as far as handlebar angle and suspension etc... especially considering I'm coming from a sport bike where 'comfortable' isn't necessarily high on the list of attributes.

The bike is a consignment from the wife of the owner who died recently and has the following options : (cut and paste from dealer description)

This bike is perfect and ready for a new home. Comes with MRA Vario windscreen, UFO handguards, SW Motech engine guards, skidplate and running lights, Givi side cases, Twisted Throttle tool canister, lowering kit installed, cover, front and rear stands and BRAND NEW Heidenau K66 tires.

The bike apparently never so much as saw a dirt road. At least according to the dealer. Not that I don't trust them, but you know how it can go sometimes. And part of me thinks maybe the whole 'he died' thing might be a way to tug at my heartstrings so as not to haggle on the price. Who knows. But let's say it's all true - I guess my question is : Is $5500 CDN a fair price? It's been there a couple months and it's dropped a few hundred in price already. I don't want to insult anybody by lowballing (say $4800??) but couldn't really find anything equivalent for sale to compare it with. So any feedback would be great. I'm ready to drop the hammer soon if it seems to be a decent buy.

Thx!

Last edited by The Heaviest D; 05-22-2018 at 10:10 PM. Reason: price was wrong
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heaviest D View Post
Thanks for the welcome. As I am new here I don't yet have the option to make an album to post pics in as per Wizard's tutorial. Or if I do, I wasn't able to find it! lol

Thanks for the tips twowheels, as I was sitting on the bike I was thinking it was a tad low. Comfortable though. My inseam is a 32 so that makes sense.
It'll probably take me a bit to figure out what is comfortable as far as handlebar angle and suspension etc... especially considering I'm coming from a sport bike where 'comfortable' isn't necessarily high on the list of attributes.

The bike is a consignment from the wife of the owner who died recently and has the following options : (cut and paste from dealer description)

This bike is perfect and ready for a new home. Comes with MRA Vario windscreen, UFO handguards, SW Motech engine guards, skidplate and running lights, Givi side cases, Twisted Throttle tool canister, lowering kit installed, cover, front and rear stands and BRAND NEW Heidenau K66 tires.

The bike apparently never so much as saw a dirt road. At least according to the dealer. Not that I don't trust them, but you know how it can go sometimes. And part of me thinks maybe the whole 'he died' thing might be a way to tug at my heartstrings so as not to haggle on the price. Who knows. But let's say it's all true - I guess my question is : Is $5400 CDN a fair price? It's been there a couple months and it's dropped a few hundred in price already. I don't want to insult anybody by lowballing (say $4800??) but couldn't really find anything equivalent for sale to compare it with. So any feedback would be great. I'm ready to drop the hammer soon if it seems to be a decent buy.

Thx!
If you get it for $4800 before taxes it will be a steal, I would walk away at $6000. All those accessories are worth a lot of money and are really nice to have, particularly the engine bars and luggage. The skid plate and tires are worthless unless you ride really bad logging roads which is not really likely. LED aux lights are very nice at night but also now very cheap from China although they were previously expensive a few years back. Dealers will be the first to tell you accessories don't add much to the value of the bike in the real world unless the buyer really wants them. I would act like you don't really want them Start low and don't go too high. Dealers usually pay 50% less for the bike than they sell it for, particularly if the bought it in fall or over winter.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-22-2018 at 10:22 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heaviest D View Post
T...I don't want to insult anybody by lowballing (say $4800??) but couldn't really find anything equivalent for sale to compare it with....
When someone puts a thing FOR SALE, there's no way that a 'low-ball' offer should 'insult' them. ALL they have to say if they don't like your offer is... NO, or give you a counter-offer....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Well, it appears I was not meant to buy this particular bike.
Unfortunately I had to leave the country for 10 days to be with my dad in his final days and when I returned it had been sold.
That's not to say that I won't be looking for another one - it would be a shame to waste all the research and knowledge I've gained about these bikes.
Thanks to all who've commented and offered insight.
For now, I mourn.......
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Sorry for your loss.

BTW - last time I looked there was a '17 (I believe) V650, in Kijiji.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode