Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Newbie Looking to Learn!

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  GreenRubi 
#1 ·
Greetings, I have been riding dirt bikes for a lot of years. My son approached me and asked if I would take the MSF course and go through this journey with him. Of course, like any good dad would, I accepted and started researching safety courses, gear, and bikes. I came across a video highlighting the Versys and how awesome they are. I am in the market, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. As I am a huge Jeep guy I know how valuable forums like this can be. So here we are, let the research begin :)

#3 ·
Hope you arrive at the same decision most of us did!

Priceless when a son wants to learn something with his father. You have to jump all over that. Priceless.
I have my eye on a few used Versys. I have a buddy that has been racing/riding for over 25 years and he comes and looks with me. So far, the Versys ticks all of the boxes (Upright riding position, ability to expand storage if need be, not crazy fast, looks good, very reliable, not too expensive) Time will tell, but I haven't seen a bad review, other than the vibration issue on the older bikes.

I totally agree!! My son and I have a great relationship and I am looking forward to this next chapter.

#5 · (Edited)
You didn't share your sons age. I own a 2013 versys 650 and love it. No vibration problems that I've noticed. Funnest bike I've ever owned. It is on the tall side, but I'm 6' so no problem there. I've never ridden the Versys 300 but everything I've read, and heard about it has been good. Seems to be the better bike if you plan on doing much off road riding.

Any activity that a father and son can do together and enjoy is worth doing. Sons grow up too fast, and fathers die to soon. Don't let life pass you by. It's all about family and the love they share. Hope to read a post about an adventure you and your son had on the Versys.

#7 · (Edited)
Welcome! It's not the best off road bike or sport bike or touring bike but perhaps one of the best "all rounders" for a "reasonable" amount of money and has an ergonomic and comfortable riding position like all adv bikes IMO. The only caveat is you need a 31/32 inch or perhaps greater inseam to manage the bike at it's standard height, there is however a lowering kit available for shorter riders for under $200. If you want a bike for weekday big city commuting, occasional, longer trips of a few hours on a divided highway, occasional weekend camping trips with luggage and more frequent weekend blasts on twisty and sometimes bumpy secondary country roads it's hard to beat.

All Rounders like the Triumph Tiger XR, Ducati 900 Multistrada, etc. are perhaps a slight step up in power and features but considerably more money.

With the bike you'll need the free to download (on this site) factory service manual and a pit stand to hold it upright for maintenance and cleaning. A metric socket set is also handy to have. Like all Japanese bikes there are no unscheduled maintenace issues. You will also almost certainly want to install a set of engine bars to protect the bike in a tip over or minor low side.

#15 ·
Hey GreenRubi,
I am lucky to have my youngest son into motorcycles. He is 23 years old and a college graduate. I have a 15 Versys 650 LT
and he rides a Honda CBR 300 R. The best thing we have going is Bluetooth communicators, Sena 20S models. The ability to converse
makes the rides much more satisfying. Remember, as much as you want to ri

de with you son, he wants to ride with you more!

BigDaddyE in Seattle

#17 ·
welcome to the nut house, youll find that the versys is a very solid bike and about 80% of the tech posts are about mods and not repairs like some other bike forums :) but if you do ever have a repair question there is always a bunch of people that will jump in with great advise

Reactions: GreenRubi
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.