Do you love your Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
lmp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Red face Do you love your Versys?

Hi,
I'm glad to be here. This is my first post and as rules say I can't post it more targeted

About me, I'm from Latvia (eastern Europe), currently I'm riding Yamaha Virago xv535, really nice bike, but it is too small, at least at this moment for me. And it is not meant for long rides.

I have registered here because I know there is a lot of Versys lovers and dudes who really knows Versys not only from adverts and other words. So this is a place where to look for real life info about this bike.
Now I'm really serious about buying Versys 650, but still in doubt, could you please convince me to do that? Or if you dare, not to do that
There is one crappy issue - local dealer says they don't have any Versys 650 at place, only possibility is to order one. There isn't any test bike too. I think it is almost impossible to buy bike if you never sat on it.
One more issue is that I'm really short, 845mm seat is too high for me, I can manage that, but it won't be comfy for everyday use.

Anyway, maybe you can comment few things:
1) Your opinion will ir fit my needs? I'm daily commuter so most of the time city traffic, with jams and other unpleasant stuff. Then my GF lives in other city about 50km away so I'm quite frequently driving freeway. At the weekends I like to go somewhere/nowhere just to feel ride, single or with GF as passenger, is passenger comfort OK for longer rides? And last but not least I have lot's of enduro friends, I never liked extreme enduro roads, but some times I like to go some small forest road, nothing extreme really, but Virago can't handle that. (I'm considering tire change anyway)

2) About lowering, have seen two possibilities, lowered seat - it is less aggressive, but doesn't bike get more uncomfy? and lowering kit. Any comments? Suggestions?

3) Any comments about GT? If I understand correctly it has 3 boxes and fog lights. Is it reasonable? As I'll tour with this bike for sure I'll need boxes, but maybe it is better (cheaper for sure) to look at aftermarket? What about fog lights do I really need them?

Had test drive with Honda NC750XD, that one with automatic DSG. Quite a great bike, but I'm feeling bit confused about fuel tank and filling under passenger seat. Of course I don't like automatic for bike but there is manual model too. Automatic - leave it for my car where I sit and do nothing
Anything else to add?

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum , please read;http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html

You might want to give a approximate location of where you live, someone on this forum me be close.Lots of questions, I am sure you will get lots of answers.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
lmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
to the forum , please read;
You might want to give a approximate location of where you live, someone on this forum me be close.Lots of questions, I am sure you will get lots of answers.
Thanks for greetings. Yes - I have updated profile with location info.
I hope I'll get some useful info
onewizard likes this.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

I have trouble getting my feet flat on the road when I first get on it, but as soon as I settle my weight I have LOTS of room. VERY important to "set your 'sag' ".

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

answering your question:

Yes, I do!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Greetings!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I traded in my NC700 with DCT for the Versys...and never looked back!

I've owned a V-strom, NC700 and now, a Versys 650. Out of all the bikes I like the Versys the best. Extremely comfortable, very maneuverable and has the power and torque I was looking for.

The V-strom would come in next as I really liked the way I sat on it. I felt like there was more room from your waist to the bars - don't know why but it fit my riding position very well. It's a very well designed motorcycle but they tend to have a few issues that I just didn't want to deal with constantly.

The NC700 (which is almost the same as the European 750) was a "fun" bike to ride but the suspension was less than desirable. Also, the seating position, for me, was just too tight. As for the DCT...an excellent piece of technology! Works flawlessly and hardly any issues reported that I know of. But, it just wasn't "my thing". I didn't like the way it automatically shifted when I wasn't always ready for it. Granted, it shifts so quickly that it's pretty much always in gear, but you don't have that "Control" like a manual clutch and shifter. The plus, I'd stake a lot on those engines! They are bulletproof and require very little maintenance.

Let us know what you decide but I think the Versys may be what you're looking for!
unstable_rider likes this.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 07:28 PM

I do European style lane filtering on my 650 with no problems.
It is an excellent machine. I put over 22,000 KM on mine in the past 6 months. I just love the thing.
My only minor complaints are, no cruise control, and no shaft drive. If it had those 2 things, Id never want another motorcycle, and Id buy the 1000 tomorrow.

The NC700 (we dont get the 750 in the USA) seems like a good machine, and I almost bought one. But the under seat fill like you mentioned was the reason I started looking at other bikes. So glad I went with my Versys. I wish they would have gone with the side fill like BMW does on on the 800GS.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 08:14 PM

versys 650. got to be the funnest bike I've owned. and I have owned a lot of bikes in my 66 years. Yep I love it.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
There is really no whatsoever issue with bike-In my opinion-and reading your post, my only concern is safe handling of the bike in city traffic so if you tell us your actual height it might help in shading some light to your concern.

Two up is not a problem and the versys can handle full load- 3 bags, and 2 up for touring.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
lmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
There is really no whatsoever issue with bike-In my opinion-and reading your post, my only concern is safe handling of the bike in city traffic so if you tell us your actual height it might help in shading some light to your concern.

Two up is not a problem and the versys can handle full load- 3 bags, and 2 up for touring.
Thanks everyone for opinions, looks like I'm on the right way.
I'm 172 cm, I suppose it is something about 5.6 ft, but I have not typical body proportions, have short legs if compared to others. Can't tell any numbers about that, only fact
When I had test drive with NC750XD on specs it is 1.5cm lower than Versys 650, it felt too high, I barely could touch the ground with both feet at the same time, in reality I just shaked bike from side to side, to change legs. I can handle it, but as I know myself it'll get annoying in city traffic, if driving with passenger it's getting even more annoying. On other hand I don't know settings of NC750 I drove.
In addition normally I Have to be able to push bike backwards not jumping all the time on and off.

So I'm pretty sure some lowering will be needed, the only question is what to choose, lowering kit sounds grate, but requires unreversable modifications. Mainly - stand has to be cut shorter.
Lower seat sounds better, but I'm concerned about it's comfort, as one of my goals is cruising long distances.

I'm pretty sure It's gonna be Versys
Yesterday I was at dealer shop, they say, they can't order one for tests as if it won't fit for me then nobody will buy it in long period, even if someone would like Versys, then always there are issues like wrong color, or something else mainly for eyes not for ride. I'm little bit confused, if this bike is so great why people dosen't buy it. Perhaps they just dosen't know it. I didn't either, just one friend of mine told me - why not to look at Versys.

Cheers!
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 06:00 AM

Mine's the wee 300, so doesn't quite answer your question, but I think after 4,000 miles I am starting to love him I bought mine out of necessity though as I injured my knee (non bike related) and couldn't cope with my usual bikes, so it was either a Summer of no riding, or get the wee Versys. It was only ever meant to be a stop-gap until I could get back on the Aprilia, but I'm actually starting to like it now!

Not all who wander are lost...
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The Versys 650 is the perfect bike for your mix of uses. I commute to work on the highway. I use my bike around the suburban/urban area instead of driving my car. I go on road trips. I go on backcountry camping trips. I go for fun rides on twisty mountain roads. The Versys does all of those things very well.

With your height I believe you will want to lower the bike. You can also get a lower seat, but I think the low seat by itself will not be enough for you to feel comfortable in stop/go city traffic. I would start with the lowering kit and see how that works for you. Many of us don't like the seat and have purchased aftermarket seats. There are several excellent lower seats available. I don't know anything about the Kawasaki factory lower seat if it is comfortable or not.

The Versys 650 is not a dirt bike, but it is very capable on dirt roads and decent off road trails. The factory tires are terrible on dirt! Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 tires on mine do very well on both pavement and dirt. If you want to do motocross type riding, this is not the bike for that.

The factory luggage is probably not what you want. The top box on the rear is actually very nice and very useful. I love mine. It fits a helmet, maybe 2 helments if they aren't too bulky. The exact same top box is available from Givi without the Kawasaki branding at lower cost. But the 2 side boxes are oddly shaped which makes them much less useful than they should be. THey have good volume but it is difficult to get stuff in them. A regular briefcase doesn't fit because of the shape. One bag of groceries will fit in each. If I could do it over again I would get racks and mount rectangular boxes on the sides. I would choose either the factory Givi top box (or the identical unit without Kawasaki label), or a top box to match whichever side boxes I had. The cost is very similar between all the options.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Considering your height, why not look at the Z650, the Ninja 650 or the Vulcan S 650. Same basic engine platform but for different riders and riding positions.

Good Luck.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I live in a city similarly sized to Riga, although not nearly as historic. For city commuting it is fantastic. You sit up high with a commanding view of traffic and it is agile enough to deal with narrow streets and traffic and has the suspension to deal with rough pavement. It will also do 50km jaunts on the highway easily at illegal speeds. It depends on how big your GF is but it may not be the most comfortable on longer trips for her. Then again no bike in the Versys size range is. I would suggest a rear top box which also functions as a back rest for her security. From the usefulness standpoint, a top box is more valuable than saddle bags. For camping trips you can through on some cheap soft saddle bags to add extra stuff.
DaveC likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-15-2018 at 10:31 PM.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 12:41 AM

if you want a great bike, buy the v. i have lowered mine with the kit and the hyperpro(sic?) shock that lowers it another inch. suspension still handles fine. seat height is now 30 inches. i have the kawasaki gel seat, but it's not as comfortable as my baldwin. anyone need one?s
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
lmp

Thanks everyone for your messages. You are really helpful.
Can anyone point me to some good seats?

I have ordered mine, in about two weeks, I hope, I'll be happy v650 owner and driver.

Maybe some suggestions about other stuff/mods required in your opinion? I suppose radiator guard is required, something else?
It dosen't look like it is really needed some crash guards, it it is anyway?
Perhaps I'm gonna need USB socket, any comments on that?

How good is stock lights? are some fog lights needed? of course it is always nice to have some extra light. but aside of that.

What else have you installed on yours?
Fly-Sig likes this.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have a Sargent seat and love it. Sargentcycle.com Sargent Seats - Kawasaki Versys World Sport Seat Their low seat is 1 inch lower than the stock Kawasaki seat.

Definitely get a radiator guard.

Some kind of crash guards are well worth it. Most of the brands only protect the upper areas but not the lower part of the motor. I have a full cage on mine to protect the lower engine. Frame sliders would be an alternative to the crash bars. For most street related needs, like a very low speed tip over in a parking lot, the frame sliders are probably plenty good.

I have front and rear axle sliders.

The big thing for me was replacing the front turn signals with smaller LED units. When the bike tips over, the turn signals will hit the ground and they will crack the plastic fairing they attach to. This piece of plastic is expensive! I glued mine with Super Glue and then replaced the turn signals with R&G Racing brand Aero LED turn signals. They sell a mounting adapter plate and the electronic ballast (just plug them in and the signals work with your existing wiring).
lmp likes this.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 11:01 AM

Indeed I do!
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp View Post
...So I'm pretty sure some lowering will be needed, the only question is what to choose, lowering kit sounds grate, but requires unreversable modifications. Mainly - stand has to be cut shorter....
Or get the stand from a Ninja 650 - apparently it works GREAT for a lowered V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp View Post
...Yesterday I was at dealer shop, they say, they can't order one for tests as if it won't fit for me then nobody will buy it in long period, even if someone would like Versys, then always there are issues like wrong color, or something else mainly for eyes not for ride. I'm little bit confused, if this bike is so great why people dosen't buy it. Perhaps they just dosen't know it. I didn't either, just one friend of mine told me - why not to look at Versys.
Correct - MOST riders don't know about it..., but once they try one - they LOVE it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
...It depends on how big your GF is but it may not be the most comfortable on longer trips for her. Then again no bike in the Versys size range is....
I did a 308 km ride yesterday that included about 20 kms of fairly rough dirt road, TWO-UP, and my passenger LOVED it! She's about 5'4" and 120 pounds.
lmp likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode