Hey From MD and NC! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By tfrazie
  • 1 Post By tfrazie
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey From MD and NC!

New member here.

Bought a new "ninja green" 2017 X 300 yesterday. Pick it up tomorrow! I'm stoked!

Regarding my subject line. I live in MD but just bought and closed on a place in the mountains of western NC; outskirts of East Asheville for retirement. It's just a mile away from (as the crow flies and 1000' lower than the Blue Ridge Parkway at it's nearest point to me. AND, buying this place has everything to do with buying the Versys X 300. I spent a month there recently on my rather farkled 2012 FJR 1300 and getting out of my own steep/large stone driveway then onto a steeply descending, one lane private mountain road with a couple hairpins was challenge enough especially considering I've been thinking about selling my beloved FJR for a few months now. At this point in my life, it's just a little more work than I want to do in mountainous terrain and given the uneven ground situations everywhere in Asheville, I don't want to think that much. So my goal was to get a bike at least 300 lbs lighter that can handle some easy off road situations including my driveway I hope I succeeded!

Prior to my FJR, I owned 3 Harleys all variations of dressed tourers since 1997 and racked up a lot of miles! My last and favorite was a 2000 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide which I bought new and kept for 14 years. It was Harley's first CVO (custom vehicle operations) offering and loosely based on Harley's Screamin' Eagle drag bikes in similar colors - orange, black and white.

Prior to that without going all the way back to my 20's owned an 83 Yamaha midnight maxim. Loved it!

Anyway, looking forward to interacting and learning anything I can on this board!

-Tim
unstable_rider likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 05-05-2018 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Personal Info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum , please read;http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome, Tim.
I have not seen a 300 V in person yet, just watched a few videos and looked at some pics.
Certainly has a great following.

Indeed ride that new bike safe~

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome aboard from San Antonio, Texas. I do believe I envy your new retirement area near Ashville. Enjoy retirement - it's a great state of being - and ride safely among the hills and curves.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrazie View Post
New member here.

Bought a new "ninja green" 2017 X 300 yesterday. Pick it up tomorrow! I'm stoked!

Regarding my subject line. I live in MD but just bought and closed on a place in the mountains of western NC; outskirts of East Asheville for retirement. It's just a mile away from (as the crow flies and 1000' lower than the Blue Ridge Parkway at it's nearest point to me. AND, buying this place has everything to do with buying the Versys X 300. I spent a month there recently on my rather farkled 2012 FJR 1300 and getting out of my own steep/large stone driveway then onto a steeply descending, one lane private mountain road with a couple hairpins was challenge enough especially considering I've been thinking about selling my beloved FJR for a few months now. At this point in my life, it's just a little more work than I want to do in mountainous terrain and given the uneven ground situations everywhere in Asheville, I don't want to think that much. So my goal was to get a bike at least 300 lbs lighter that can handle some easy off road situations including my driveway I hope I succeeded!

Prior to my FJR, I owned 3 Harleys all variations of dressed tourers since 1997 and racked up a lot of miles! My last and favorite was a 2000 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide which I bought new and kept for 14 years. It was Harley's first CVO (custom vehicle operations) offering and loosely based on Harley's Screamin' Eagle drag bikes in similar colors - orange, black and white.

Prior to that without going all the way back to my 20's owned an 83 Yamaha midnight maxim. Loved it!

Anyway, looking forward to interacting and learning anything I can on this board!

-Tim
Thanks! Devouring it all now!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable_rider View Post
Welcome, Tim.
I have not seen a 300 V in person yet, just watched a few videos and looked at some pics.
Certainly has a great following.

Indeed ride that new bike safe~
THANKS! Got it today. Couldn't ride it like I stole it however! Now just have to figure how conservative Kawasaki's long/low rev break-in period is.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Welcome aboard from San Antonio, Texas. I do believe I envy your new retirement area near Ashville. Enjoy retirement - it's a great state of being - and ride safely among the hills and curves.
As hard as I worked in my first 4 weeks of ownership, it was easy to forget every time I looked out at those mountains looming over me!

THANKS!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
THANKS! Got it today. Couldn't ride it like I stole it however! Now just have to figure how conservative Kawasaki's long/low rev break-in period is.
Here's how I broke in all three of my V650s:

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!

Here's how I broke in all three of my V650s:

In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

THANK YOU. Very helpful! That makes more sense!

-Tim
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 01:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
At this point in my life, it's just a little more work than I want to do in mountainous terrain and given the uneven ground situations everywhere in Asheville, I don't want to think that much. So my goal was to get a bike at least 300 lbs lighter that can handle some easy off road situations including my driveway I hope I succeeded!
I agree with your thinking. A smaller bike is more manageable and will probably be much more fun to ride with the types of roads in an area such as your's. Enjoy your retirement! Sounds like you've made a good start at it.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbuk7t View Post
I agree with your thinking. A smaller bike is more manageable and will probably be much more fun to ride with the types of roads in an area such as your's. Enjoy your retirement! Sounds like you've made a good start at it.
Appreciate your sentiment! As I get more and more into the break-in drills, I get to feel how much the torque and power come online as the revs increase AND without any vibration to speak of. It pulls with authority. As much as I read so many reports of such coming from just 296cc's (albeit 375ish lbs lighter than my 1300cc FJR, it just didn't equate in my mind to this much "authority" and I've got 5-6K more revs to redline and then some to go as I break her in. I'm really stoked about this given I can really flick it around so quickly! So I'm fairly sold already with the idea that this bike was a great choice for me and the way I'll be riding in the mountains of western NC. Then factor in the price and it just keeps getting better! Thanks again!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:00 PM

Welcome from Delaware! I've ridden in Bel Air area many times. Rocks S.P., Route 851, etc.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
Welcome from Delaware! I've ridden in Bel Air area many times. Rocks S.P., Route 851, etc.
Thanks Doug! ahhhh, 851, a great local road. I can't tell you exactly how many times I've gone out of my way to surf those long, fast sweepers. Found it in 96 riding my mint 83 Yamaha Midnight Maxim up to York PA to visit the HD plant (for the plant tour or the museum when it was still there) at least once a month for the year it took to be my 97 HD Road King. 851 wasn't direct to York but loved it for a local road.

Love your college town. Hope the students there have there heads out of their asses or at least out of others asses unlike most of the country now!

-Tim
Doug Just Doug likes this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
I actually feel welcome! THANKS!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
I actually feel welcome! THANKS!
As you SHOULD....
tfrazie likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode