Hello from Michigan - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By superlight
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello from Michigan

New member to the Versys forum but very active on a couple others. Long time wrench, fabricator and former racer in AMA and WERA...although that was some time ago!

I've been investigating, and serious about, a 2018 650 LT to replace my current sport touring bike. I'll enter some personal info soon and post a thread containing questions I have about modifications other members may have performed.

Take care to all and thanks in advance for the membership.
unstable_rider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome aboard from San Antonio, Texas

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlight View Post
...I've been investigating, and serious about, a 2018 650 LT to replace my current sport touring bike. I'll enter some personal info soon and post a thread containing questions I have about modifications other members may have performed....
Once you get it, then add a few miles, you'll know what a GREAT handler the V 650 IS!

Back in '08 I wrote that the V is the BEST handling bike I've ever ridden.

TEN years and about 150,000 miles (among THREE V 650s) later - I STILL have to say that they are the BEST handling bikes I've ever ridden!!!!

-
Fastoman likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 06:24 PM

Garage

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Looking at your brief intro, i don't think you will ever regret getting a Versys.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I really enjoy the upper peninsula of Michigan, and the area of the left coast of northern lower Michigan.

Epic riding, nice people. You might recognize this place...

What part of the state you from sir?

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Thank you to all. I'm a Detroit native - born and raised - now living just outside the city proper. I've spent most of my life in the motorcycle industry, just not as my full time profession. That includes working part time at a few local dealerships, attending dealer expos/meetings, working with a few clothing manufacturers and, of course, the racing. Very strong and life-long ties to the track. I still follow MotoGP and World Superbike very closely. I truly believe if motorcycles enter our mindset and bloodstream and take hold - we never lose that passion.

Yes unstable, Michigan DOES have some decent scenic areas, especially well away from the metro-Detroit area. Although Michigan roads pale compared to the photos I've seen of more temperate regions of our country. Cross the Mackinaw Bridge into the U.P., turn left and about 30 miles later, Hog Island? Yeah...that's the ticket!

Quote:
TEN years and about 150,000 miles (among THREE V 650s) later...
Oh my...impressive! They must be good bikes.

Quote:
Looking at your brief intro, i don't think you will ever regret getting a Versys
And the more I investigate and read, the more I'm inclined to agree, Fastoman. There could very well be a white LT in my future sooner than I think!

I'm waiting for a couple dealers to assemble their 2018 bikes so I can "scratch and sniff". And the owner of one indicated he will probably permit a short demo ride. Fingers crossed.

What I'd like to do quickly is restore my "third party sharing" ability so I can post photos. I was using PhotoBucket but $ince they now charge for their $ervice, I'm looking elsewhere.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum , please read;http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlight View Post
...I was using PhotoBucket but $ince they now charge for their $ervice, I'm looking elsewhere.
Look for a thread about using THIS Forum to host your pics. A LOT of us were "burned" by Photobucket....

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip, Fasteddie. I'll investigate.

I also need to read up on the posting rules for a new member to determine when I can initiate a thread in another area of the 650 forum.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

On a + note...I stopped by a local dealer today and actually SAW and SAT ON a new 2017 650 Versys. Yes, they are scarce around these parts. He has 2018's in the warehouse. As I understand it, the 17's and 18's are identical except for color changes?

I was left with a good first impression and most of the preliminary boxes I was looking at were ticked ...
- good seating position; not too high
- mirrors positioned well
- cables for throttle and clutch
- adjustable levers
- easy battery access and a small bit of storage beneath the seat
- bosses on the swingarm for spools (track stand)
- and other minor items

I'm waiting to hear from a different dealer who is prepping a 2018 and is not opposed to a short demo ride.

Although I should probably wait until I'm allowed to list it under Performance Mods, I'll sneak in a quick question here. I've seen mention of Hepco Becker and SW Motech accessory centerstands for the 650. I found and read a WebBike World eval of the Motech product with clear and descriptive photos. (I cannot yet copy and paste the link as I'm still a "new" guy) The interference between the lift pad of the center stand and the OEM sidestand is clearly shown. And they confirm you don't have to trim any of the lower plastic fairings when the stand is deployed.

Is there a general preference of the Motech over the HB and if so, details please. Thank you in advance.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode