Radiator Fan Fuse - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Radiator Fan Fuse

This fuse keeps blowing on my bike. It seems like every time the fan should turn on in blows the fuse instead. To give you an idea of how annoying this is, I burned through 3 fuses in a 20mile ride and would have used more but ran out and just risked riding it the last 8miles. Anyways, this bike is still relatively new to me (less than 1000 miles) and has just over 20k miles on it. I cleaned the bike and made sure the fan was clean and turns unimpeded. Does anyone have a short list of what I should do to try and ix this problem?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Have you asked your local dealership about the problem?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

No the most local dealership is probably 2+hrs away. I don't have the repair manual downloaded or paper form. That would be my next step. The person I bought the bike from was the second owner. Will the dealership even want to talk to me? I'm not used to having nice things.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
You said that the fan IS turning...? Some guys have had a small pebble jam the fan-blades causing your issue.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

BTW - aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i would point to the fan being burnt up.. i went thru the same thing. once i took the fan apart i found the contacts burnt and small chunks of dirt inside it that had got stuck to the magnet of the motor

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I am going to ask what current rating is the fuse you are using, it is rated @ 15 amp, typically the fan draws 6 amp. Depending on the year of your bike a very few had some frayed wiring under the gas tank. I almost suggested it be powered separately to test it, then I read your post again, is this fuse blowing instantly or after a few minutes and does the fan run during this time before the fuse blows?
unstable_rider likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

The fan was initially blowing whenever it was engaged. I have been riding offload a bit so it would make sense something had gotten into the fan. I sprayed it out with a pressure washer and routed wires from the battery to the relay. It would run for small spurts and sounded like there was something in it maybe, but was never that attentive to what it sounded like when it was working. I drained it, took the fan apart from the radiator and cleaned everything off with a toothbrush, put it back together and ran it with distilled water until the fan kicked on. Yes, it WORKED. It makes a whirring noise that sounds like a computer fan or something. I let it keep running for another five minutes though and started to hear the crackling coming from the reservoir. The light came on for the radiator but not the FI light. The fuse was blown but not throwing the code now. I don't get that. I am bummed out and not sure what to do next except replace the fan and get a radiator guard.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotthedrops View Post
The fan was initially blowing whenever it was engaged. I have been riding offload a bit so it would make sense something had gotten into the fan. I sprayed it out with a pressure washer and routed wires from the battery to the relay. It would run for small spurts and sounded like there was something in it maybe, but was never that attentive to what it sounded like when it was working. I drained it, took the fan apart from the radiator and cleaned everything off with a toothbrush, put it back together and ran it with distilled water until the fan kicked on. Yes, it WORKED. It makes a whirring noise that sounds like a computer fan or something. I let it keep running for another five minutes though and started to hear the crackling coming from the reservoir. The light came on for the radiator but not the FI light. The fuse was blown but not throwing the code now. I don't get that. I am bummed out and not sure what to do next except replace the fan and get a radiator guard.
Water of any kind isn't good in a motor, lots of fans available that will fit the Versys .

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...iator-fan.html
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I am going to ask what current rating is the fuse you are using, it is rated @ 15 amp, typically the fan draws 6 amp. Depending on the year of your bike a very few had some frayed wiring under the gas tank. I almost suggested it be powered separately to test it, then I read your post again, is this fuse blowing instantly or after a few minutes and does the fan run during this time before the fuse blows?
yes its a 15a
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe think about adding guards to keep rocks & pebbles from going UP the front of your rad, or OVER top. Here's what I had on my '09. First - along the bottom of the lower mount:

then another bit added same area:

then the top piece:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02398 copy.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	366.3 KB
ID:	151506   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02401 copy.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	151514   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02403 copy.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	151522  
XenMoto likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Maybe think about adding guards to keep rocks & pebbles from going UP the front of your rad, or OVER top. Here's what I had on my '09. First - along the bottom of the lower mount:

then another bit added same area:

then the top piece:

absolutely. Seems like a $100 well spent.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Water of any kind isn't good in a motor, lots of fans available that will fit the Versys .

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...iator-fan.html
Thanks. I am going to the junkyard in search of a fan tm. might just find an UPGRADE
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Water and Fan /motor don't go along..you may have half cooked you fan motor winding-current leaking which might explain the fuse blowing sequence.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Water and Fan /motor don't go along..you may have half cooked you fan motor winding-current leaking which might explain the fuse blowing sequence.
Points on water and motors noted. First fix is to score new fan motor. Ultimate fix is probably the radiator guard since I can't make the dust or rocks go away here in NM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
electrical, radiator, radiator fan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode