Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

New Versys rider in Phoenix, AZ, USA

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  aboyandhisversys 
#1 ·
Hi!

My last 3 bikes were KLRs. 2 of them were 650s and one was a 250. I started getting the bug to buy another one and thought how nice it would be if Kawasaki would ever consider fuel-injecting them. That's when I stumbled upon the Versys. I had never heard of a Versys, but when I found out it was fuel-injected, I was sold...

I hit Craigslist and picked up a 2009 Versys 650 with 3,950 original miles on it. It looks brand new in every way. I thought that $3,500 was a good deal. What do you think?

It starts right up and runs beautifully. It really does look brand new all around. No scratches, dings or dents, and the paint is perfect. The mirrors are a little irritating and seem to come loose all the time. I cranked it as tight as I could, feeling like I was going to break them, but they still pivot on their own. I'm considering possibly ditching them for bar-end mirrors unless I can find a way to make them stick.

I rode it to work for the first week that I owned it (2 weeks ago) and practically launched off of the seat every time I hit a decent bump in the street, so I'm assuming that it's a rebound vs. preload mismatch with my weight.

This last weekend, I changed the oil with Kawasaki synthetic and a Kawasaki oil filter that I bought as a package deal on Amazon. The previous owner told me that the bike "needs nothing" but the oil was black as ink when it came out, so I'm thinking that it was original. The old filter was also Kawasaki brand and I felt like I was going to have a stroke trying to break the seal loose. I ended up crushing it with a rubber strap wrench before it popped loose!

Anyway, I cleaned and lubed the chain after I changed the oil last weekend and now I'm ready for some suspension adjustments. It looks like the rear shock has the preload all the way out for a very light rider. I know people say that you need to just try different settings, but it's a new bike to me, so I don't know how it's actually supposed to feel. Maybe I'll start at the half-way mark and test from there.

Well, I hope to have some fun on this thing before it gets too hot here to ride. It's already in the mid 90s this week. I wonder if there are any Versys meetups or riding clubs in the Phoenix area?!?

Thanks,
-Derek

See less See more
Reactions: kiwicraig
#3 ·
The mirrors are a little irritating and seem to come loose all the time. I cranked it as tight as I could, feeling like I was going to break them, but they still pivot on their own. I'm considering possibly ditching them for bar-end mirrors unless I can find a way to make them stick....
I put AprlliaTuono mirrors on both my '08 and '09, but the later model Versys mirrors are GREAT too! (try '15-on Versys mirrors)

#11 ·
2 things to stop mirrors being useless for me

2 things fixed mine:

a) I ground off the ends of the threaded portion of the mirror. The threads were bottoming out and wouldn't stay put because of the thread being too long. (yeah, I know I thought it was weird too.)

b) loctite (permanent, I forget the color) helped.

#4 ·
Welcome!!

There are several generic Phoenix / valley m/c groups on meetup.com, depending on your riding desires and skill set. There's not much for interesting roads here unless you get out of town - and the few interesting roads tend to have a lot of weekend traffic. Getting close to tire melting temps in the valley, but several options N and E to get up into cooler temps. I ride a bit in the summer - mostly to head up towards the RIM to go camping and easy ADV stuff.

What part of the valley you in? I'm N-Central PHX?

Joe

#6 ·
Welcome aboard from San Antonio, Texas. First, in my opinion you managed a very good deal. Second, I agree with your mirror comments. I replaced mine with KTM 990 Super Duke mirrors and have been very happy with them. Now comes the fun (?) of installing farkles to personalize your ride, and there are tons of such thing available. For some it becomes a sickness! Have fun. :grin2:0:)

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Unfortunately, I did what I always do, and bought a bike just when it became unbearable to ride here. It hit 106F last Sunday and felt like I was riding into a hair dryer.

Also, people drive like idiots in Phoenix (and I was born here). I've had 5 "idiots" pull right out in front of me in the last week while riding to and from work. I almost had a tow truck climb on top of me on the last one, but he saw what happened, waved to me, and passed me to honk and yell at the idiot who practically made my flip trying to stop fast enough.

After that, I'm planning on taking an advanced riding course to learn how to deal with the horror-show that is Phoenix rush-hour traffic. Phoenix seems to be made up of people who are from everywhere else, so they all act like they own the road in their own way.

Anyway, I think I'm going to stick to weekend mornings for a while, and drive my land-boat 3/4 ton Suburban during the week. Let these fools pull out in front of that!

Thanks again, for all of the welcomes and advice!

@fasteddiecopeman: Thanks, I like the look of the Aprllia Tuono mirrors. They have a unique shape and the stock ones seem too small and mostly just get my shoulders.

@PHX_Joe: I'm in N-Central Phoenix, near the I-17 & 101. We picked this house because my wife wanted the quickest escape-route to head up north for camping in the summer. When it's 115+ degrees, our pool feels like a bathtub...

@Arion: Thanks, I'll look at the KTM mirrors before making a decision. I'm hoping to find some that stick out further than the stock ones that I feel are way too short, even if they didn't move and vibrate to a useless level.

-Derek

#9 ·
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Unfortunately, I did what I always do, and bought a bike just when it became unbearable to ride here. It hit 106F last Sunday and felt like I was riding into a hair dryer.

Also, people drive like idiots in Phoenix (and I was born here). I've had 5 "idiots" pull right out in front of me in the last week while riding to and from work. I almost had a tow truck climb on top of me on the last one, but he saw what happened, waved to me, and passed me to honk and yell at the idiot who practically made my flip trying to stop fast enough.

After that, I'm planning on taking an advanced riding course to learn how to deal with the horror-show that is Phoenix rush-hour traffic. Phoenix seems to be made up of people who are from everywhere else, so they all act like they own the road in their own way.

Anyway, I think I'm going to stick to weekend mornings for a while, and drive my land-boat 3/4 ton Suburban during the week. Let these fools pull out in front me.

-Derek
Hi Viz jacket and hi viz helmet? We, riders, need to do everything we can to make sure cars SEE us.

I also recommend adding front LED auxiliary lights for more added visibility.

And ride like every around you will be trying to run over you. Motorcycles never never have the right of way.

Stay safe!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.