Just put 43 tooth sprocket on!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just put 43 tooth sprocket on!!

Just put 43 tooth sprocket on and I think I'm going to love It. I have a 2012 versys with a slip on Jardine exhaust and put a commander on with It. 90 % of my driving Is on the freeway here In Phoenix,AZ so I'm driving 75 to 80 MPH most of the time. My fuel mileage has been 43 to 45 so I'm excited to see how much better I get with the drop In RPM. Will keep you all posted after I fill up In the next couple days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 12:03 AM
MTS

Well done! I have never done that mod! Let us know how you like it. The guys that do alot of highway never change back so it must be all good!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 12:07 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 12:47 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Absolutley Love It!!Today first 80 miles on It all freeway. I was running with My GPS so I could see If my speedo changed runs 3 mph slower than I am really going. At 70 MPH my RPM is 5000 at 80 It's 5900 and dropping down to 60 runs an easy 4500. Can't really even notice horse power loss at all. Down shifting Is very smooth and easy don't think I will be switching back rides and sounds to nice.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

If you do alot of freeway driving I would say It has to be a must It's awesome, down shifts alot smoother and at 70 MPH an easy 5000 RPM can't wait to see my fuel mileage. Speedo is about 3 MPH slower so I will be checking miles with my GPS. Have a good day
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 06:13 PM

Garage
Now your odometer will read about 7% short of actual. When you calculate your fuel mileage, multiply it by 1.07 to get a comparable number to your previous gearing.

I put on a 43-tooth rear when I changed my chain and sprockets at 18800 miles. The problem is that winter showed up and then I quit the job that had me riding a bunch. I was not able to make a good comparison of mileage between the two gearing configurations.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 06:43 PM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 12:45 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 11:02 PM

I bought mine used with the 3 tooth mod and compared the speedo to my GPS.
It's 3 MPH slower than indicated on the GPS. The lower gear ratio works great on this little goat machine.
I don't do much highway riding, but the backroad power delivery is just about perfect for my riding style.
My other bike is a BMW S1000RR, so the V isn't a rocketship by any means.
It is quite a good little utility machine and the gearing helps it work better as well as gives it great MPG. No range anxiety whatsoever
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 02:35 AM

Welcome to 'Club 43' I've done the swap and love it too.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I'm glad you all added the caveat about riding on the highway. Because I already wonder where the acceleration that I so enjoyed with the stock versys went. And I didn't even change the rear sprocket size. I just added a Concours to my stable and it really showed me what acceleration is.

For me the Versys is a blast with stock gearing on the tight backroads I live to ride it on. Those of you that go to a 43 now know what a WeeStrom rides like.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode