Lonestarchalk1 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Lonestarchalk1

Hello,

An American living in the Philippines, own a couple of Kawasaki versys 650 motorcycles been riding through the islands here for two years now.

Hello All,

I've been riding through Abra Province here in the Philippines, I went out the other morning started up my versys 650cc, no trouble set there warmed it up for 5 minutes shut it off, had a coffee. Went back to start it, and when I turned the key I noticed the primer or fuel pump sounded weird, it didn't sound normal, anyways I hit the starter and the bike just dry cranks no fire. I tapped the fuel pump wich was recommended to me lightly, but the sound when you turn the key on has changed, it's not the normal sound the fuel pump makes and when you go to start, it only dry cranks.

Was wondering if anyone else had experienced this issue with their bike, the bikes got about 40,000 kilometers on it and is a 2013, I've come back to Manila now to pick up parts and go back to the province where I left the bike to repair it.

Thanks, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27459200_10214131359351888_4345608939944723172_n.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	150033  

Last edited by onewizard; 04-11-2018 at 07:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
starting problem

Hello All,

I've been riding through Abra Province here in the Philippines, I went out the other morning started up my versys 650cc, no trouble set there warmed it up for 5 minutes shut it off, had a coffee. Went back to start it, and when I turned the key I noticed the primer or fuel pump sounded weird, it didn't sound normal, anyways I hit the starter and the bike just dry cranks no fire. I tapped the fuel pump wich was recommended to me lightly, but the sound when you turn the key on has changed, it's not the normal sound the fuel pump makes and when you go to start, it only dry cranks.

Was wondering if anyone else had experienced this issue with their bike, the bikes got about 40,000 kilometers on it and is a 2013, I've come back to Manila now to pick up parts and go back to the province where I left the bike to repair it.

Thanks, David
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum , please read;http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 08:22 AM

Garage
to the forum! I haven't had any experience with that, sorry. Great picture!

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
OK I'll read the intro stuff
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Here Goes

Here is a link to a very similar problem, I made this a sticky, if you follow this you will note my very first unedited post was the right answer.Also this thread contains a considerable amount of information that you would never find even in the service manual, also note it took Kawasaki techs 6 hours to find the problem in the end. I spent a lifetime trouble shooting electrical everything. Well at 68 I continue to be called in, at times it would be nice if I could download my knowledge onto a flash drive and give it to someone else, someday that may be possible, although we know so little about the human brain.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ght=tip+switch

Very first thing to check is your tip over switch, on the 2013 I think it is located on the left side of the tank. Try disconnecting it giving a few shakes and possibly bringing it inside to dry out. It is one of only a very few things that will give this symptom. Keying off and back on will reset it provided the inside has returned to the normal upright position, hence the light shaking.

The second possibility is a key switch problem, the ecu relay drives the ecu and fuel pump/injectors and stick coils, there have been several cases of key switch contacts failing from moisture, some have been successful in using wd-40, keep in mind these contacts are fused at either 10 amp or 15 amp, so don't put too much faith in wd-40.

Fuel pumps have been known to fail suddenly, the question is, is the fuel pump getting power for the first 3 seconds? This is fairly simple to prove, disconnect the fuel pump, this can be done very easily at the connector on the left side, if you have a meter, test to see if you get power to this plug for 3 seconds on key on. The other way would be to see if the sound with the pump disconnected is the same as connected, which would indicate it isn't being powered.

The last thing to check is frame grounds, especially the ecu frame ground below and behind the fuel tank/ seat mounting bracket.

Some things done by Kawasaki make no sense, one of them being the ECU ground , the ECU depends on the steel frame connection for the negative ground power, in other words, there is no copper connection between the battery negative and wiring harness to the ECU. I and many others on this forum recommend going over all the frame grounds and the engine ground, I use a scotch brite pad and then use a copper coat or electrical grease to prevent oxidation of these connections, as they do get wet and corrode.

So in order of what I think is wrong and place a bet on:

#1 tip over switch @ 95%
#2 fuel pump @ 90%
#3 frame ground @ 75%
#4 key switch @ 55%
Fastoman likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 04-12-2018 at 09:00 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
hope the above is of some help to your problem and do drop a line once you have solved your problem.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 03:55 AM

Hi there. Been here in PH 4 years and finally bought a real bike. Versys X 300. Love it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 03:58 AM

Also from USA. Live in Naval, Biliran, what a beautiful place to ride.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode