Versys oil leak - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys oil leak

My V has now done 96000 km. Still in an excellent condition. However, I have noticed drips of engine oil underneath the engine on the left hand side. It is just in front of the gear lever, but underneath the engine. Could it be coming from the drive shaft and run down to underneath the engine? I am struggling to find the source and would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 06:42 PM

Do you have an algaard skid plate on the bike? If so, there was a case of someone putting a hole in the oil pan when he hit an immovable object with his algaard skid plate. Even without the skid plate it's possible there's a crack in the oil pan somewhere (do you ride rough roads?). With that much mileage no doubt you know the bike well enough to rule out chain lube being flung forward. I would give the underside of the bike a good cleaning with soap and water, leave it overnight and look the next day for where the drip of oil is originating.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 08:51 PM
MTS

This is not chain oil? Has your oil level dropped?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

It is definitely not chain lube/oil. I also initially thought that it just excessive chain lube frunning down, but it is definitely not coming from the chain. It is only a few drops and does not affect the oil level. Thanks for the reply. Regards
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the reply. I do not have skid plate and use it on tarmac only. The oil drips do not form when the bike is not running. I will clean it and let the bike idle until the fan comes on and then do another inspection. I am not sure if the drive shaft has an oil seal, but will also remove the front engine sprocket to see if I can spot the course. Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode