New Member Researching 650LT - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Member Researching 650LT

Hey, folks. New member, long time rider looking to add a bike to the stable and came here looking to gather insight from those in the know. As noted in the title, I'm looking at a 650LT that will be used mostly for solo day rides and the occasional overnight. As I haven't ridden the 650 yet I have no frame of reference on power. While I'm not a horsepower junkie, I will be riding two-up on occasion and mildly concerned about power in that scenario. I'm 215, my wife is 165.

Any insight, or direction for places to gain some knowledge would be appreciated. Thank you....

Last edited by kltk1; 04-09-2018 at 02:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 07:29 AM

Garage
Greetings! You came to the right place. I have had mine for two seasons now and when the snow clears season three will begin! Lots of power for me, cruise all day at any speed under 100 mph you want, my sweet spot is around 72 or so. Not a huge bike for 2 up, but can be done. Test ride would be good if you expect to do this a lot. I do a lot of day rides, solo. Have done some overnights and trips, only limited by your imagination! I really like the bag set up, works well and can not imagine larger bags on this bike. You can easly add a tail bag, even one with a back rest if you want. I like the weight of the bike, its not a 900 pound bruiser. If you can find "A cager on two wheels" review in English just posted this will give you a good idea what you have in the Versys. Look around, test ride, and enjoy!

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum , please read;http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ber-intro.html

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kltk1 View Post
Hey, folks. New member, long time rider looking to add a bike to the stable and came here looking to gather insight from those in the know. As noted in the title, I'm looking at a 650LT that will be used mostly for solo day rides and the occasional overnight. As I haven't ridden the 650 yet I have no frame of reference on power. While I'm not a horsepower junkie, I will be riding two-up on occasion and mildly concerned about power in that scenario. I'm 215, my wife is 165.

Any insight, or direction for places to gain some knowledge would be appreciated. Thank you....
Welcome. Where are you located?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Thank you, andyversystheworld....

I live in NJ
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 10:25 AM

Not knowing what's in your stable it's a bit tough to elaborate. But I'll take a shot.

My comparisons will come from a c-10 1 liter Kawasaki Concours. background as I rode it over 200k miles. Accel is about .33 seconds slower in a 1/4 mile so performance is decent, just not in the ZX1400 stratosphere. IIRC, 12.5-12.7 in the quarter? It's 200 lbs than the Connie helping it in a lot of departments.

Two up if you wanna be brisk with passing a down shift of a gear or two will help a bunch at highway speeds. The bike is on the smaller side so two up can be a bit cozy depending on your size. If you can't test drive the both of you should go to a dealer and actually sit on one to see how it works for ya. 2 up on an occasional basis seems quite workable assuming you fit.
Your usage matches ours pretty closely.

I wouldn't buy the bike for continual 2 up.

For reference I've put about 26k miles on a '15 that I bought used about a year and a half ago, the bike now has just over 37k miles on it. It's gonna get another 9-11,000 on it on a four month tour starting in a few days.

The bike is an absolute riot in the twisties yet you can comfortably tour all day on it at 80+ mph, or take it into mildly off road conditions. I ride mine pretty hard, averaging about 6k only with Pirelli Angel GT tires and am averaging 50.2 mpg over the last 20k miles. Awesome bike, with some farkling. Oh, the side cases are big enough to hold a 2 liter stainless steel growler upright. Awesome.

That being said, I'm pretty sure my next bike will be a Yamaha 900 Tracer GT. The bike fits me about the same and weighs about the same and has an 853cc triple engine. Also comes with cruise and traction control. This will be about three years down the road. The Vs should have over 100k on it but will still have factory warranty left.

BTW the factory warranty can be extended to six years for about $435 if you contact the right dealer. I called a dealer near Dallas and set it up over the phone.

A pretty good source for info is here and there is also a monster thread over at ADVRider.

Happy hunting.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. Forgot about ADVRider.

My riding history is as follows. Been riding about 30 years, probably have a few hundred thousands miles under my belt. Started out on a Honda Nighthawk S (Fantastic motorcycle), moved to a CBR1000 followed by a BMW K1100LT. A 2011 BMW R1200RT replaced the K bike and served us well until last year. In the stable with the BMW was a Victory Kingpin that was replaced with a Victory Cross Country. I had a BMW G650GS for about a year before selling simply because having three bikes in the garage was one too many. The Victory and BMW are gone and currently there's a Ducati Monster 821 in the garage. Love this motorcycle but would like something a little more all-day friendly that will accommodate the occasional day trip with my wife on board. I ride fairly aggressive but not necessarily a speed demon. As noted in my original post, I'm not a horsepower junkie and like the occasional spirited ride and have every confidence as a solo ride the V650 would be a good fit, it's two-up I'm a little concerned about. The weather is about to break here in NJ and I'm hoping to get a test ride in Friday...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 07:31 PM

The Versys 650 will have plenty of power at sea level, it will power wheelie in first gear at sea level. It will have plenty of power for occasional 2 up, as others have stated it might be a little snug for extended 2 up riding. If you're looking at extended 2 up riding maybe look at the Versys 1000 which has a LOT more room than the 650.

Be aware the bike loses a lot of power at high altitude. I live at 6000ft and my 650 is a hair underpowered up here. If you're mainly sticking to the eastern US this will never be an issue.

The bike is an absolute hoot in the twisties, almost as responsive as a super moto.

Here is the video review that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode